Guns + Roommates using Marijuana

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Guns + Roommates using Marijuana

Post by Keith B »

MAGAManofATX wrote: You would be hard pressed to find an apartment in my area that does not have marijuana users in it. The police in Austin do not care. I have lived in this complex for three years and I have never even seen a police officer anywhere in our building, or any other apartment building that I've visited. I am confident that I am not risking a drug conviction. I have never used drugs!

I do not want to invite potential problems with my firearm into my situation. Guns + Weed = big boy felony. And they're going to pull me and my entire apartment in before I get to say a word.
You asked for advice and it was given, but you want to only believe what you want to hear. Not uncommon for millennials. Trust me, I know. I am the father of a 24 year old and have seen it when she was in college and younger.

Here is the situation; you seem to think that you won't get arrested if there is just marijuana in the apartment, and that is possible. But how do you know one of them really doesn't have harder drugs or maybe even a firearm in their room? You don't. And you state that they will pull the entire apartment in if they find a gun and weed. Well, even if it's only marijuana, and not you, they will pull in the entire apartment. I have done it myself years ago when we found it in a house (former LEO myself). Everyone takes the ride. And you say you can't afford to move, well, I don't see how you can't afford not to. If you get pulled in, then the disruption it will cause, as well as the amount of money for a lawyer will be way worse than hiring an apartment moving company and changing locations.

When my daughter was in college, she came back to the dorm room and found her roommate had wine in there. The dorm was a no tolerance area and if there was alcohol in the room, she and her roommate were both out, no matter who owned it. She called us and we told her to get out of the room and find the roommate, and if she didn't get the wine out, then to go to the RA and report it. We also began immediately working to get her moved out of the dorm and into a place where we trusted the roommates. Same with your apartment, everyone will be brought in. You may get off due to a chemical screening showing no evidence in your system, but it will take time, legal fees, and be a big disruption of your studies.

So, I suggest you listen to what EVERYONE on here is telling you. You can do what you want, but don't come back in arguing that we are all wrong and you are right.

Keith B
TexasCHLForum.com

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

Dude, forget even the gun right now. What we all are telling you is that your roomies will get you into trouble with their drugs. And trust me, I'm not vanilla. I know that where there is weed, there are usually other things either already there, or about to be there. Weed is just a precursor in most cases.

So, by staying there, you are putting yourself in a position where your LTC might be in long waiting one sunny day my amigo.

But go as you wish. :tiphat:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

"I would not willingly live with drug users!"

But, you are or you wouldn't be there.

Try speaking with a lawyer. If you do a bit of research you might find one willing to look into your situation pro bono given your status as an under-funded student. You won't know if you don't try.

Considering your drug using room mates and your concern with being arrested for their criminal acts, you may find (with your lawyer's input) the apartment management willing to release you of your lease requirements, maybe...

Then there's the press. They might be willing to help. Imagine the severely ugly PR the apartment management would garner if the press got wind that they're insisting you pay $7000.00 or live with drug users.

You can probably think up better ideas than these "IF" you really want out from under possibly being arrested and serving time...but yeah, it'll take effort.

Or, keep telling yourself "everything's fine" - everything's OK" - "I've got nothing to worry about"

You know the old aphorism: Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

If they are smoking it in your presence you very well could test positive. Unless you're holding your breath. Also the smell of it will be on your clothes and in your hair.
N5PNZ

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

When young and stupid, I didn't always vacate the premises when someone had illegal drugs. Now, it's a totally different story. Light up and I become one with the highway.

I'm wiser.

Your doper friends have friends. Do you trust them? Do you trust their dealers?

How inconvenient would it be to pay a grand or so to replace your apartment door? If the police obtain a no-knock warrant they will bust right in. Who do you think will pay for that? Your friends may have towering legal fees. Just keeping your deposit probably won't cover the damage, and if you fail to honorably settle for damage and the costs of your eviction, your credit is going to take a serious hit. The landlord doesn't even have to call a credit bureau. All the landlord has to do is file in small claims court. The landlord will pay a $75 filing fee and won't pay a cent otherwise. The judgement against you will follow you for years like a puppy from a Stephen King novel.

How do I know? I was that landlord, once. An apparently nice couple who rented from me had ties I didn't know about to the Los Zetas cartel. There was about $1500 in repair cost following a no-knock raid.

The DEA confiscated more than $100,000 in cash in the raid but they had no intention of paying for damage. That was for me and the renters. I wasn't angry, just chapped for being dragged into the situation. The police told me I was lucky they only found meth, not the means to manufacture it. The EPA follows in the wake of meth lab busts. The hazmat cleanup can exceed the cost of a dwelling.

The lady of the house got to stay out of the indictments and keep her infant child because hubby agreed to roll over on Los Zetas, leading to another bust in Chicago. What do you think the Los Zetas thinks of the unindicted members of that household? Think they are completely safe? Los Zetas is known for sending messages with decapitations.

You know your friends are cool, though. Are your friends' friends cool? Any ties to serious crime? They say we're all just six links of indirection from Elvis. How many links away are you from Los Zetas, and if you think that's a ridiculous question, then why did I end up renting to one of their associates?

But it's Austin. Nobody cares about drugs there. Heck, even the DEA gives Austin a free pass, right?

Or, maybe not.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

troglodyte wrote:
MAGAManofATX wrote:I already said that leaving my apartment is not an option at this time. What is everyone's thoughts on locking my gun in my car when I am not carrying?

We heard you the first time but you are not listening to us. GET OUT NOW!
:iagree: Choosing to stay in an environment where illegal drugs are the norm is asking for trouble. Trouble has a way of finding those who ask for it. GET OUT NOW!
Do what you say you're gonna do.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

There are a lot of misdemeanors going on all day every day around all of us. Everyone is up in arms because of the MJ. What about underage drinking, likely going on in every college apartment regularly? Maybe it's a class C vs. a class B, but I'm sure we can all find tons of stuff going on around us too.

It's kind of like telling someone move out of your neighborhood because it's a bad area. Well sorry I can't afford to live in Beverly Hills and i'm stuck in a lease with a bunch of drunks and potheads. Leave it in the car, in a lockbox if you're really worried. But i'm not giving up my protection because other people around me do bad stuff. Go find a place in Austin where no college kids smoke weed...good luck. I already need to move out of Flower Mound because my neighbor leaves his trash cart out in front of my house for more than 24 hours in violation of city code. Now the police might think it is mine and I have a LTC. I better leave quick before he waters his lawn on the wrong day and it looks like I'm watering...

I'll bet you OP's roommates don't even recycle :shock: . In Austin that's worse than smoking weed. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

Getting out of there and away from the pothead roommates would be the best way to handle the situation, but finding the next place to stay and breaking the lease clearly present some immediate problems.

A couple things come to mind:

1. Unless this has already been done, ask the landlord to see if they would be willing to install a separate lock for your room; a fee may be charged for this (though it would be surely less expensive than breaking the lease). This would help further reduce the chance of the roommates or their "friends" taking anything of yours or leaving anything of theirs in your room. If the police visit the apartment for drug-related activity, having a door found to be locked (expect that it will be opened with a battering ram) and a negative hit for residue/smell for your room might work in your favor. If the landlord asks why you want a separate lock for your room, you could say that your roommates have a lot of friends/visitors that you do not know.

2. Try studying in the library or away from the apartment and any disruptive sounds, smells or other distractions there. The less overall time spent in the apartment (especially the common areas), the better. I reckon it would be more difficult to prove "constructive possession" if you are a roommate that is not in the apartment when/if it is busted.

Again, leaving is the best option, but maybe trying these things would help make the best of your position while you continue your studies and look for a better rental situation. I regret that your 2nd Amendment rights and overall quality of life are infringed for the short-term.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

To the OP, please understand that what follows is not intended to be a personal attack on you. Rather, is my personal analysis of your situation, and a look at some flaws in your reasoning......
treadlightly wrote:When young and stupid, I didn't always vacate the premises when someone had illegal drugs. Now, it's a totally different story. Light up and I become one with the highway.

I'm wiser.

Your doper friends have friends. Do you trust them? Do you trust their dealers?

How inconvenient would it be to pay a grand or so to replace your apartment door? If the police obtain a no-knock warrant they will bust right in. Who do you think will pay for that? Your friends may have towering legal fees. Just keeping your deposit probably won't cover the damage, and if you fail to honorably settle for damage and the costs of your eviction, your credit is going to take a serious hit. The landlord doesn't even have to call a credit bureau. All the landlord has to do is file in small claims court. The landlord will pay a $75 filing fee and won't pay a cent otherwise. The judgement against you will follow you for years like a puppy from a Stephen King novel.

How do I know? I was that landlord, once. An apparently nice couple who rented from me had ties I didn't know about to the Los Zetas cartel. There was about $1500 in repair cost following a no-knock raid.

The DEA confiscated more than $100,000 in cash in the raid but they had no intention of paying for damage. That was for me and the renters. I wasn't angry, just chapped for being dragged into the situation. The police told me I was lucky they only found meth, not the means to manufacture it. The EPA follows in the wake of meth lab busts. The hazmat cleanup can exceed the cost of a dwelling.

The lady of the house got to stay out of the indictments and keep her infant child because hubby agreed to roll over on Los Zetas, leading to another bust in Chicago. What do you think the Los Zetas thinks of the unindicted members of that household? Think they are completely safe? Los Zetas is known for sending messages with decapitations.

You know your friends are cool, though. Are your friends' friends cool? Any ties to serious crime? They say we're all just six links of indirection from Elvis. How many links away are you from Los Zetas, and if you think that's a ridiculous question, then why did I end up renting to one of their associates?

But it's Austin. Nobody cares about drugs there. Heck, even the DEA gives Austin a free pass, right?

Or, maybe not.
To the OP, the above story is a perfect example of the laws of unintended consequences in action. The thing about unintended consequences is that you have only ONE means of controlling them, and that is to NOT engage in behaviors which have consequences way out of proportion to the risks involved. Your situation is a perfect example. You say that Austin cops don't care if your roommates (or you, or anyone else) possess or smoke weed. This opinion is based on exactly what? A Wish Sandwich? Have you actually contacted the APD in person and asked them what would likely transpire IF you, the non-user in possession of a firearm, with roommates who ARE users in possession of weed, were home when your apartment was raided on a tip from someone? (The "tip" being a factor over which you have ZERO control.) Let's say your roommates' dealer(s) gets rolled up by law enforcement. In exchange for a plea, he starts naming names of customers - among whom are your roommates.

And that's just the APD. Do you think the DEA isn't active in Texas? How about the Texas Rangers (not the baseball team)? Austin PD may choose to flout the laws regarding weed (which is STILL a STATE offense), but that doesn't eliminate the state or federal level agencies from the mix.

Just so you know, I don't personally care if your roomies smoke weed. I've been sober for decades, but I smoked a ton of it back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. But the stuff IS still illegal in Texas, no matter how you want to parse the risks under which your roommates place you. The risks may be relatively small (in your frankly uninformed opinion.....uninformed because you haven't actually communicated with the APD yet about this), but the consequences, over which you have ZERO control, can be HUGE.

One thing you'll learn as you get older is that some risk aversion is conducive to a long, happy, and healthy life. But you can't manage risk if you are not completely informed about the extent of the risk, and about the extent of the consequences of the risk. Back in the 1980s, I used to roadrace high performance motorcycles on SoCal closed-course racing circuits. Having seen a couple of friends killed over the years, I was fully cognizant of the risks, and of the potential consequences.......but I was a single man. Then I got married. Then my wife got pregnant with our son, who turned 27 this last Tuesday the 10th of January. Suddenly, the consequences of getting killed were a LOT higher. I quit racing. But you see, I could easily visualize the pre-and-post-pregnancy consequences, and the risks were limited to the racetrack, since at that point, a motorcycle for me was no longer a daily transportation, but a special-purpose limited-use vehicle.

You think your risks are low based on an incomplete assessment of what APD will or won't do. Your risk assessment does not take into account what state or federal agencies might do. You're not fully informed about the consequences, or you wouldn't be here asking about "Guns + Roommates using Marijuana". But you're willing to completely discount the best advice given here. Where I come from, they call that "sticking your head in the sand".

Please realize that many of the members of this forum, myself included, are somewhat libertarian in spirit when it comes to marijuana. Most of us don't and won't use weed, legal or not, because we think it is stupid to do that to yourself, but many of us also think it should probably be legalized - not because it is a good thing, but because society hasn't been able stop its use by making it illegal, spending literally over a $trillion on that effort over the last 40 years, so you might as well let people stupify themselves, and spend that money on other things......or better yet, reduce taxes.

But with all due respect, your question doesn't deal with "what's in the future for marijuana legislation", it deals with "what are the legal realities right NOW". And RIGHT NOW, you've gotten the best answers that a number of men older and more experienced than yourself could give you - based on a lifetime of risk assessment and the lessons of unintended consequences. If you want to call bull on those answers, that's certainly your right; but you should also completely own, without complaint, the unintended consequences of your faulty risk analysis if it all blows up in your face.

I hope for your sake that it does not; but 64 years on the planet has taught me that it easily could......and you have no control over the if/when of it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson about trying to reason with addicts.

Hopefully it won't turn into an expensive lesson.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

MAGAManofATX wrote:I think I could enforce a "no marijuana in the living room/common areas" policy however.
Also, if you have any other roommates besides the potheads, I would suggest you get them on board with enforcing no use in the common areas. Maybe this could be the first step in running the potheads off the premises.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Just to give you a little more perspective, the advice I gave you earlier was not based on the opinion of an older guy with better income. No, it was based on an old guy who found himself in much the same situation many years ago.

By 1973, I had enlisted in the Air Force and completed basic training & 8 months of technical training before I took my 19 year old behind and a shiny new Top Secret security clearance to my first permanent duty station. Of course, I was assigned a dormitory room which I would be sharing with another guy.

I graduated from a very large high school in Dallas, so I was intimately familiar with the signs and effects of drug use. When I opened the door to that dorm room, my heart immediately sank to my boots. It was painfully obvious my roommate was a stoner. Meeting the guy later did absolutely nothing to ease my fears.

I would wake up in the middle of the night to find he had friends in the room and the odor left no doubt what they were doing. I always awoke before he did only to see the ashtray full of roaches and a well used clip or two.

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. I couldn't narc on the guy. Everyone would have made my life a living heck. Nobody likes a narc. It wouldn't have been any good on a professional level either. I would have a stink following me around for a long time. At the very best, my chain of command would wonder if I had been a part of it and reported him out of spite. They would never be sure.

That security clearance I mentioned earlier meant that, had I been caught up in a drug bust, in addition to all the usual military discipline, I was also eligible for a lengthy all expense paid vacation to that Kansas garden spot known as Fort Leavenworth.

I confided in the Buck Sergeant I worked for, after we became good friends and I learned I could trust him. It was his idea that the two of us move off base and share an apartment. The only problem was that I would have to convince the First Sergeant and commander to authorize it. They were not normally inclined to grant such requests. Naturally, I couldn't tell them what was really going on.

Somehow, they were persuaded to let us do it. I suspect my friend had a private conversation with the First Shirt, but I'll never know for sure.

A couple of months later the roommate, along with several others, was caught up in the inevitable drug bust. Things didn't go well for him, but I was in the clear.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I had a roommate that had been in your exact situation ( in College Station though not Austin and in the early 70 s). Everyone in the apartment got busted. It cost him around five grand with his fine and 12 months probation fees.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Remember that even in weedy Austin things can change- one politician who needs a "law and order" appearance can bring down massive busts of college students.

Throughout the rest of your life you will face tough decisions like this. This may be the test which shapes your future.

These roommates care nothing about your future, they care little about their own.

You've been given a lot of good advice from many people here, and some not so much. It's your future- choose wisely.

Best of luck to you regardless of how you choose.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Bottom line is, you need new roommates.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”