HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

doncb
Posts in topic: 7

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by doncb »

We can only hope and pray that this bill passes and passes without being gutted.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

casp625 wrote:
treadlightly wrote:Man, that looks nice, but here's the question - what kind of nutcases will this bring out of the woodwork to make us all look like buffoons?

Removing the 51% restriction might sound like gun carriers want to get drunk and shoot the empties. Personally, I'd like to go to the best burger shack in town without disarming. It's a bar that defies certain prejudicial prototypes. It's motorcycle themed and quite family safe and friendly. The second time I went I saw a 51% sign and was surprised. It didn't seem like a place that should be off limits.

But I hate to think of theatrics on the State House steps, or drama queens in the legislative chambers gaining traction with blood-in-the-gutters fear mongering.
Read an article back in 2010 that stated 22 states allow firearms in bars, which I'm assuming means at least 50% of states allow it. How many of these states have real issues?

On a side note, I'll be visiting Pennsylvania later in 2017 and it appears that with a LTC, the only places primarily off limits is schools, court houses, secure portions of airport (federal), any federal facilities, correction centers and mental hospitals. Signs carry no force of law and you must be asked to leave or charged with trespassing. Pretty reasonable, if you ask me, and probably won't have to disarm the entire trip. :thumbs2:
PA is awesome for Gun Laws... I am there about 6 weeks a year, and actually applied/received on the spot a non-resident PA license.My family always comments about how everyone in TX has a gun, and I have to sheepishly admit that PA is substantially less complicated to deal with when it comes to restrictions.

z_g_yang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by z_g_yang »

Airport secured area is part of 46.03. Does this mean this Bill allow carrying into secured area of airport?
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just completed a detailed analysis of HB560 and it is an excellent bill! I'll do a separate TFC Tex. Leg. Report on that Bill.

It puts LTC's in the TPC §46.15(a) "not applicable" subsection, the same one that contains peace officers, probation officers, railroad detectives and countless other non-LEO personnel that must have an LTC in order to be included in this subsection. It also repeals the TPC §46.035(b) & (c) off-limits areas, but leaves 1) the prohibition on carrying openly unless in a holster; or 2) while intoxicated. It also retains the provisions of SB11 (2015) campus-carry for public and private colleges. Some will complain about colleges, but this absolutely is the correct approach.

This is the most important self-defense bill passed since SB378 in 2007. Couple this with passage of SB16 (LTC fee elimination) and a huge number of law-abiding Texans will be able to protect themselves and their loved ones almost everywhere in our great State.

Everyone needs to start calling and faxing their Texas Senator and Representative and respectfully ask them to support this Bill. I know, the session hasn't begun and Austin will primarily have staff only. We need to start now and keep the pressure on until this Bill passes. It would be a good idea to contact the Speaker's office also.

Be sure to call and email Rep. Drew Springer to say thank you and to pledge your full support for his excellent Bill. Color me VERY HAPPY!!!

Chas.
:thewave :party:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

z_g_yang wrote:Airport secured area is part of 46.03. Does this mean this Bill allow carrying into secured area of airport?
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just completed a detailed analysis of HB560 and it is an excellent bill! I'll do a separate TFC Tex. Leg. Report on that Bill.

It puts LTC's in the TPC §46.15(a) "not applicable" subsection, the same one that contains peace officers, probation officers, railroad detectives and countless other non-LEO personnel that must have an LTC in order to be included in this subsection. It also repeals the TPC §46.035(b) & (c) off-limits areas, but leaves 1) the prohibition on carrying openly unless in a holster; or 2) while intoxicated. It also retains the provisions of SB11 (2015) campus-carry for public and private colleges. Some will complain about colleges, but this absolutely is the correct approach.

This is the most important self-defense bill passed since SB378 in 2007. Couple this with passage of SB16 (LTC fee elimination) and a huge number of law-abiding Texans will be able to protect themselves and their loved ones almost everywhere in our great State.

Everyone needs to start calling and faxing their Texas Senator and Representative and respectfully ask them to support this Bill. I know, the session hasn't begun and Austin will primarily have staff only. We need to start now and keep the pressure on until this Bill passes. It would be a good idea to contact the Speaker's office also.

Be sure to call and email Rep. Drew Springer to say thank you and to pledge your full support for his excellent Bill. Color me VERY HAPPY!!!

Chas.
You'd definitely still be violating federal law and TSA would have a field day, regardless of Texas state law...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I'll be writing my senator and rep tonight or tomorrow.

And then again in January.
Maybe again in March.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

z_g_yang wrote:Airport secured area is part of 46.03. Does this mean this Bill allow carrying into secured area of airport?

Chas.
No. Federal law controls.
Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

doncb wrote:We can only hope and pray that this bill passes and passes without being gutted.
We need a huge response to future calls-to-action to keep it from being gutted in committee.

Chas.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

What a huge step forward! :thumbs2:

:thewave

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mxrdad »

Emails sent to Mr. Springer. Good stuff.
Just some guy's opinion.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

We need a huge response to future calls-to-action to keep it from being gutted in committee.

Chas.
Any suggestions as to the main supporting talking points? The antis will certainly be screaming at it, especially the 51% exception. Probably "law enforcement," too.
-Ruark

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I will be calling emailing, whatever it takes... Anything that makes me not disarm, like yesterday when I stepped into Renaissance Hotel in Richardson, where I had to attended an event with 700 other disarmed innocent lives.

Why hotels should be able to ban CC and OC if they do not provide on-site armed security?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Ruark wrote:

Chas.
Any suggestions as to the main supporting talking points? The antis will certainly be screaming at it, especially the 51% exception. Probably "law enforcement," too.
I was going to make HB560 the sole subject in a Tex. Leg. Report, but I may make it a TFC Short-Shot. I publish the transcript of Short-Shots (not Tex. Leg. Rpts.) and I'll include talking points, although they won't be titled as such.

Chas.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Just wrote my rep.

Stripes Dude
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Stripes Dude »

Wrote my rep urging her to support this bill.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”