House introduces bill to deregulate suppressors

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rexmitchell
Posts in topic: 1

Re: House introduces bill to deregulate suppressors

Post by rexmitchell »

Dad24GreatKids wrote:It's more likely to pass if they retain the $200 tax. I hope it passes as is, but politicians normally hate to give up a revenue stream. I'm just speculating, but I bet they would generate more revenue by passing this bill and reducing the tax to $100. They'd surely make up the difference just on added volume. What they give up is the tracking mechanism.
This^.....Could it pass, sure. Will the tax stamp go away? Not a chance in the world. They aren't about to give up that funding. Either way it has my support simply because I don't think it is fair to wait for NFA items and the hoops you have to jump through to get them. I'll pay the tax stamp but I want the background check to be the same as for a firearm. I think that is a fair compromise.

allisji
Posts in topic: 5

Post by allisji »

locke_n_load wrote:
allisji wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
No. Likely won't happen and if it does the bill contained many are that says 200 atf fees after 10/22 would be refunded.
I sent $400 to the ATF on 9/30. They cashed it on 10/11. I guess I get hosed.
You could cancel the stamps and get a refund if it passed before your forms are approved.
This is an old thread. My stamps came in about 8 months ago.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

allisji wrote:This is an old thread. My stamps came in about 8 months ago.
Yes, it's an old thread, but the bill is still active in the House and Senate.

If Trump is elected and Republicans retain control of both House and Senate, expect it to move forward toward a vote.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

allisji

Post by allisji »

bblhd672 wrote:

If Trump is elected and Republicans retain control of both House and Senate, expect it to move forward toward a vote.
Yes, I didn't mean to indicate anything about the status of the Bill. Certainly I would still love to see the Bill passed. But I'm also glad that I didn't wait to buy my suppressors.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

allisji wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:

Yes, I didn't mean to indicate anything about the status of the Bill. Certainly I would still love to see the Bill passed. But I'm also glad that I didn't wait to buy my suppressors.
Man, it would sure be great to eliminate the months of waiting and paperwork required in order to purchase "hearing protection"!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Oh no...Republicans want to make "especially dangerous" items (silencers) easier to get without registering them and no waiting periods. :mad5
Criminals will now have easy access to these silent death machines...and they will fill our streets.

No one needs a silencer to hunt deer.. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

allisji wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
allisji wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
No. Likely won't happen and if it does the bill contained many are that says 200 atf fees after 10/22 would be refunded.
You could cancel the stamps and get a refund if it passed before your forms are approved.
Didn't notice the thread resurrection.

Congrats though!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

allisji

Post by allisji »

locke_n_load wrote:
allisji wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
allisji wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
Didn't notice the thread resurrection.

Congrats though!
Thanks! I have used my .22 suppressor. I somehow haven't had my PTP .45 Ranger 11B outside with my Glock 21 to try that one out. I definitely need to make that happen.
LTC since 2015

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

ScottDLS wrote:Criminals will now have easy access to these silent death machines...and they will fill our streets.
Actually, that's exactly what we'd hear. Just like "assault rifles" are made to "spew death indiscriminately," suppressors (no.... they're "silencers") make a gun go "pffft, pffft." We know it does because we've seen it in the movies. So bad guys will be able to walk up and shoot somebody in silence and nobody will even know it happened!!!

As much as I'd like to, I can't see this getting past the starting line.
-Ruark

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

My co-worker just clued me into this. I think I just got even more happy. I am greatly looking forward to this passing and hopefully its expanded to include SBRs.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I have renewed hopes this may actually happen now that we control the White House and both chambers. (Crosses fingers) :txflag:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

allisji

Post by allisji »

I doubt that it will have any priority in the next year or so, but it's odds of passing into law definitely increased greatly with the election of Trump and the republican controlled congress. Hopefully it gets some movement before the 2018 elections.
LTC since 2015

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Contacting your Senators and Representatives, let them know you support this legislation and want to get it to a floor vote.

If they don't hear from us, there will be no priority placed upon moving it forward.

Morbidrealities

Post by Morbidrealities »

ScottDLS wrote:How about repealing 18 USC 922(o), so we can register new machineguns under the NFA. :patriot:
Do that and get rid of the sbr crapola....man a nice folding stock vector in full auto .45 would be fantastic, lol

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Maybe someday you'll be able to buy one at Academy for $99.95. :???:
-Ruark

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”