ID required with CHL/LTC for handgun purchases?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ID required with CHL/LTC for handgun purchases?

Post by flechero »

Does one of the forms specifically ask for a DL #?

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

It is not required but my ATF IOI "asked" me to start taking both on my last inspection. I could argue with him but it would just make him look harder for other issues. I know, why give in to the ATF? If you really want an answer to that question then go ahead and get your FFL and argue with the ATF all you want and see where it gets you. Some little issues like this are not worth fighting over.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warnmar10 »

mrvmax wrote:It is not required but my ATF IOI "asked" me to start taking both on my last inspection. I could argue with him but it would just make him look harder for other issues. I know, why give in to the ATF? If you really want an answer to that question then go ahead and get your FFL and argue with the ATF all you want and see where it gets you. Some little issues like this are not worth fighting over.
Where were you asked to record the extraneous information. Is that the only extraordinary information you were asked to record?

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

warnmar10 wrote:
mrvmax wrote:It is not required but my ATF IOI "asked" me to start taking both on my last inspection. I could argue with him but it would just make him look harder for other issues. I know, why give in to the ATF? If you really want an answer to that question then go ahead and get your FFL and argue with the ATF all you want and see where it gets you. Some little issues like this are not worth fighting over.
Where were you asked to record the extraneous information. Is that the only extraordinary information you were asked to record?
Nothing else but DL and CHL/LTC

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

flechero wrote:Does one of the forms specifically ask for a DL #?
I don't remember, but your DL# is on your CHL/LTC. (At least it is on mine.) :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

sbrawley wrote:All of my purchases required my DL alongside my CHL. Not sure if that's a requirement but that's how all the FFL's I've been to operate.
Same here. I've purchased 3 firearms from an FFL since I got my CHL in July and all 3 asked for my DL alongside my CHL and they were all 3 different FFL's.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Academy, Big Kountry, The Arms Room and AJC Sports only ever ask for my LTC.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Ran into this at Cash Cow pawn in alvin yesterday. Bought a Sig Sauer 1911 Texas edition. Kid said to wait while he called it in. I politely told him you dont need to call in on CHL and if you insist on calling it in just refund my money. He went and got another employee who verified that it wasnt necessary and also explained the TDL is on the LTC so he didnt need that either.

oldshooter

Post by oldshooter »

Particularly if you bought with a credit/debit card or a check, the DL number is used to help identify you for credit check purposes. The LTC ID card is technically sufficient both to legally identify you and to waive the BGC requirement, but it can't be used to check your credit or verify your check. Many FFLs require both (if you have the latter) as a matter of course, to standardize their procedures so they will include both credit/check purchases and permission to waive the BGC. The person you deal with, if he's just a counter clerk, may not even KNOW why their policy asks for both.

goose

Post by goose »

An LTC has both a license number and the associated Texas ID or DL number on it. The reason to present both is because no one would forge the LTC with a bad LTC number (this is good enough to forgo the NICS call), but they might forge the part with the DL# on it (this part is much more suspect). By having the customer present both, the store is able to catch those folks that are cutting open their LTC to alter the DL# in their LTC. It happens more often than one might think. LTCers conviction rates notwithstanding. It is always better safe than sorry.

Would it cost someone a sale to me? Doubtful. Would it make me think twice about looking for other vendors? Without question. This isn't a "they shouldn't do that to me" issue. For me this is a "are they engaging their brain/problem solvers" issue. If the vendor can't decide if the DL# on my LTC is valid, I darn sure don't want you breaking open the guts of one of my firearms.

Does the form ask if the FFL visually saw the actual DL/ID, or just that they verified and recorded the correct DL#? If it is the latter, the law has been met by information on the LTC. If not, what other portions of the LTC are equally as invalid?
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

goose

Post by goose »

oldshooter wrote:Particularly if you bought with a credit/debit card or a check, the DL number is used to help identify you for credit check purposes. The LTC ID card is technically sufficient both to legally identify you and to waive the BGC requirement, but it can't be used to check your credit or verify your check.
Why not? The only unique info I can find on the DL is: the class of driver, Issue date, expiration date, driving restrictions, donor status and the DPS audit number. I can't imagine that any of those things are used to verify my credit. Even my picture and signature are the same.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”