OK: Tulsa LEO Charged with Manslaughter

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
vjallen75
Posts in topic: 6

OK: Tulsa LEO Charged with Manslaughter

Post by vjallen75 »

Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler filed the charges against officer Betty Shelby, who shot and killed 40-year-old Terence Crutcher on Sept. 16. Dashcam and aerial footage of the shooting and its aftermath showed Crutcher walking away from Shelby with his arms in the air.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-int ... 96201.html
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OK: Tulsa LEO Charged with Manslaughter

Post by Flightmare »

My aunt who lives in Tulsa was JUST telling me this.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Flightmare wrote:My aunt who lives in Tulsa was JUST telling me this.
I just hope LEOs are not charged from now on when it is a justified shot.
Vence
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

vjallen75 wrote:
Pictures online appear to show blood on a rolled up window suggesting he couldn't have been reaching in the window. Was this a justified shoot?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

casp625 wrote:
vjallen75 wrote:
Pictures online appear to show blood on a rolled up window suggesting he couldn't have been reaching in the window. Was this a justified shoot?
NO. It was panic discharge of handgun. Lack of training or unfit to be LEO.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

Interesting. It looks like they've skipped the grand jury option and just flat out charged her. So, who pays for her defense?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Beiruty wrote:
casp625 wrote:
vjallen75 wrote:I just hope LEOs are not charged from now on when it is a justified shot.
NO. It was panic discharge of handgun. Lack of training or unfit to be LEO.
I meant for future incidents not this one, no picture/video I have seen shows a window rolled down.

edited to add: I agree with Beiruty complete, based of of what has been released to the public.

I was in no way shape or form saying this LEO was justified. Sorry if it came off as that way
Last edited by vjallen75 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vence

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

To make a judgement of a situation based on a short video clip, while sitting in your recliner sipping on a cool one is easy. Now I am not taking sides on the Tulsa OIS and apparently the DA feels they have enough evidence to proceed with an indictment, what I will say is if you have never been in such a situation you cannot not even begin to understand all that such an incident involves for all parties involved. That is why we live in the greatest country on earth is because our judicial system, while not perfect is better than anything thing else. Let the judicial system runs it's course to determine guilt or innocence.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

C-dub wrote:Interesting. It looks like they've skipped the grand jury option and just flat out charged her. So, who pays for her defense?
I am surprised by this as well, I saw the notification on my phone and wondered why the rush to charge her. As I said previously stated, I hope they don't start charging LEO left and right. Their job is hard enough as it is.
Vence

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Jumping to conclusions places you in the same vehicle as the BLM. Wait until the investigation is complete. As far as the DA thinking they have enough evidence so did the DA in Baltimore.

jadoti

Post by jadoti »

Agreed it's really hard to tell what's going on by those videos, especially in the last seconds.

What sucks is if this is a politically motivated indictment to appease the rioting masses. Once she's charged, then no matter the outcome of the trial, her life is ruined. She can be cleared beyond the shadow of a doubt and she will still be ruined.
Proud NRA Lifetime Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

vjallen75 wrote:
C-dub wrote:Interesting. It looks like they've skipped the grand jury option and just flat out charged her. So, who pays for her defense?
I am surprised by this as well, I saw the notification on my phone and wondered why the rush to charge her. As I said previously stated, I hope they don't start charging LEO left and right. Their job is hard enough as it is.
I'm not surprised or disappointed. I figure they're trying to get ahead of things and get to a trial to resent the evidence and get it all resolved as quickly as they can. I just thought it was interesting.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Smokey613 wrote:To make a judgement of a situation based on a short video clip, while sitting in your recliner sipping on a cool one is easy. Now I am not taking sides on the Tulsa OIS and apparently the DA feels they have enough evidence to proceed with an indictment, what I will say is if you have never been in such a situation you cannot not even begin to understand all that such an incident involves for all parties involved. That is why we live in the greatest country on earth is because our judicial system, while not perfect is better than anything thing else. Let the judicial system runs it's course to determine guilt or innocence.
Smokey, I am not the DA, I have no clue what happened in Charlotte, but form the available released video the one shot in Tulsa was not aggressive, nor combative. He maybe was on hard core drugs but, as far as I can tell, he was compliant. There was at least 4 other officers who showed up and the female officer should have not pulled her gun. I could be wrong which is 100% fine with me, and I do agree let the judicial systems sort out.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I believe she panicked when the male officer discharged his taser. I refuse to believe she killed the man in cold blood.

It is nerve racking staring down the sights at another living person knowing their life rest in your hands.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

nightmare69 wrote:I believe she panicked when the male officer discharged his taser. I refuse to believe she killed the man in cold blood.

It is nerve racking staring down the sights at another living person knowing their life rest in your hands.
This very well could be the case. She also may not have realized the other officer only fired his tazer and not his firearm and she just instinctively or reflexively also fired. This is horrible for for her, but worse for the man's family. Especially if this was an accident.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”