State Fair of Texas (tentative) Saturday Oct 15

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Would you attend a forum member event at the State Fair of Texas?

Yes
13%
Yes, but only on a weekend
17%
Yes, but only on a weekday
4%
No
24%
No, because they don't allow open carry
2%
No, because I do not live in that area
39%

Total votes: 46

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 14

State Fair of Texas (tentative) Saturday Oct 15

Post by TexasTornado »

I would like to organize a State Fair of Texas day for forum members and was looking up details on their website when I found this...
State Fair of Texas prohibits Fair attendees (including LTC holders) from openly carrying handguns while at the Fair. If an individual attempts to enter the Fair with an openly carried handgun, he or she will not be allowed to enter the Fair unless he or she conceals the handgun (if he or she has a valid LTC) or secures the handgun in his or her vehicle or at some offsite location. If an LTC holder enters the Fair with a concealed handgun and then begins to openly carry the handgun, he or she will be asked to either conceal the handgun or to leave the Fair. http://bigtex.com/info/faq/

My questions are..
1. Under what authority can they prohibit Open Carry?
2. Would this rule prevent you from attending an event for forum members?
Last edited by TexasTornado on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Re: State Fair of Texas

Post by suthdj »

I think question should be under what law they can stop open carry
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

suthdj wrote:I think question should be under what law they can stop open carry
That's exactly the question just re-worded. Their authority to stop/prohibit open carry can only come from the law.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

SoConfused
Posts in topic: 13

Post by SoConfused »

Wow, that's ridiculous! No open carry at a state fair for TEXAS?!?!

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lena »

Would gladly attend an event but do not wish to go back to the Fair to do it, we went last year and it was the last.
Stay Safe

SoConfused

Post by SoConfused »

Looks illegal to prohibit open carry based on this from 30.07...

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder openly carries the handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Edit: Oops. I was thinking it was a government sponsored event, but it's actually a non profit organization.
Last edited by SoConfused on Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

TexasTornado wrote:
That's exactly the question just re-worded. Their authority to stop/prohibit open carry can only come from the law.
Sorry didn't see your questions :oops:
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

suthdj wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
Sorry didn't see your questions :oops:
It's all good lol. At least we arrived at the same place after reading that bull honky statment.

NRA Lifetime Member

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

Just because the law says they can't, doesn't mean they won't. It took some time to get them to allow concealed carry.

I wonder if that website would be enough to file a complaint with the AG?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SoConfused

Post by SoConfused »

Pawpaw wrote:Just because the law says they can't, doesn't mean they won't. It took some time to get them to allow concealed carry.

They can legally prohibit both concealed and open carry if they put up the signs since it's a private organization.

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

SoConfused wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Just because the law says they can't, doesn't mean they won't. It took some time to get them to allow concealed carry.

They can legally prohibit both concealed and open carry if they put up the signs since it's a private organization.
It doesn't matter if it's a private organization or not because it's city property. The signs would be unenforceable. It also does not meet the criteria of an amusement park.

NRA Lifetime Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

TexasTornado wrote:
SoConfused wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's a private organization or not because it's city property. The signs would be unenforceable. It also does not meet the criteria of an amusement park.
That's how I read it. Maybe there will be a test case a commin.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

TT has it right. It was a fight to make the State Fair allow CC. It looks like it will take another fight before they allow OC.

At least this time the AG can be brought in. The fight should be over faster.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SoConfused

Post by SoConfused »

TexasTornado wrote:
SoConfused wrote:

Unfortunately, it won't be city property. The State Fair of Texas leases the land every year, effectively making it private property for the duration of the fair.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Untrue. In fact, there was a news story just the other day that they're thinking about turning over operation of the fair to a private organization. Either way, it won't make any difference. It's government property no matter who it's leased to.

Return to “Off-Topic”