Kindle pros and cons

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Kindle pros and cons

Post by C-dub »

I have an opportunity to get a Kindle and know nothing about them other than they are for reading books. I've been a good boy at work and this is one of the options for a gift. The other things don't really interest me at all.

What are the pros and cons and how is book availability for them? How does the book get into the thing? Do they have cellular or wifi or do you plug them into a computer after downloading the book?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Kindle pros and cons

Post by WTR »

I bought one for my wife. She reads about a book a day. I bought through Amazon Prime. I believe she gets a free book every month. I believe she logs on through her
WI Fi to down load books through Amazon,..she has enjoyed it.
Last edited by WTR on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by warnmar10 »

C-dub wrote:I have an opportunity to get a Kindle and know nothing about them other than they are for reading books. I've been a good boy at work and this is one of the options for a gift. The other things don't really interest me at all.

What are the pros and cons and how is book availability for them? How does the book get into the thing? Do they have cellular or wifi or do you plug them into a computer after downloading the book?
I can't think of any cons. Wi-Fi direct download.

xd9sc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by xd9sc »

I waited a bunch of years before buying a Kindle because of three things: too expensive, too heavy to hold for long periods in one hand, and you needed a separate light to read them in the dark.

Those problems are now all fixed; I got a Kindle Paperwhite (~$120) last year. Good machine.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I have the Kindle Reader app on my iPad, if that tells you anything.

Although I have a hard copy, I recently ordered & downloaded The Second Amendment Primer. It cost $8.99 + tax.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

xd9sc wrote:I waited a bunch of years before buying a Kindle because of three things: too expensive, too heavy to hold for long periods in one hand, and you needed a separate light to read them in the dark.

Those problems are now all fixed; I got a Kindle Paperwhite (~$120) last year. Good machine.
I think this will be just a regular Kindle. I was thinking about being able to read in bed without disturbing the Mrs. and without having to wear my reading glasses, which I have to with my phone. I don't have an iPad. You really ave to have a separate light source to read in the dark? That seems odd.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SawdustBytes

Post by SawdustBytes »

Bought a Kindle Paperwhite for my wife several years ago. It has a back light.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

It has a battery and requires charging. Books don't. lol I asked my wife if she wanted one and she said no. She likes the feel of a book and turning of pages.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

No additional light source is required. In addition to the books for sale, there 90 odd thousand free books available from Amazon. Harris County Libary has thousands of titles as e-books and audio books that are kindle compatible. You can surf the web, or participate on your favorite CHL discussion board, as I am right now on my Kindle Fire.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

My wiife reads so many books she would only buy from the used book store. With the Kindle she does not have to worry about who was picking their nose as they turned the page.

xd9sc

Post by xd9sc »

You really ave to have a separate light source to read in the dark? That seems odd.
It was that way for a few years when Kindles first came out, but now the backlight fixes that.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The "Kindle" (lowest cost reader) does not have a light. All of the rest do.

Scroll down a little and you can see the comparison of current Kindle models here: https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=66697020 ... dflcpo5n_e
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I prefer my Nook.

There's an incredible quantity of books you can download for free from your local library.

Since, I've had my Nook, I've maybe bought 3 books not available from the library.

Don't ask me the mechanics of how to download a book as SWMBO is my book download guru.

Anything more complicated than shooting or cleaning a rifle or pistol is beyond my meager mechanical ability...

allisji

Post by allisji »

I was given a Kindle Fire HD about a year ago. The Fire lineup is basically just like any other tablet. Essentially it's a cheaper version of an iPad. It's wifi only, no cellular network connection. Works pretty well with most apps, but some of the apps that we use will lock up or shut down unexpectedly.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “Off-Topic”