Whataburger tonight

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stormvet
Posts in topic: 5

Whataburger tonight

Post by Stormvet »

This is what happened a hour or so ago. My wife daughter and I went threw the drive threw got our food and parked outside to eat. About 3 minutes into the food being passed out after giving thanks, my daughter screams. As I turn and looked some guy had already opened our back door. When he saw someone was in the vehicle he jumped back and apologized and said sorry wrong vehicle and left.
What ever was his intentions were I learned some valuable lessons tonight.
#1. Have loaded gun beside me and not in the floor board by my seat.
#2. Have all doors locked while eating in car.
#3. Even after praying or giving thanks take a second look around. But thanks to the good Lord he was looking out for us.
It can happen quickly. Just thought I would share.

JerryK
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Whataburger tonight

Post by JerryK »

This just happened to me for the first time ever about a week ago in Galveston. We went in to a parts house (a co worker and I) and when we came out only two trucks in the parking lot both red, we both (both of us) opened to door to the wrong truck. It was vacant at the time. I thought as I was reaching for the door handle it was very dirty and for an instant something flashed.

I thought it would never happen to me, but now I feel foolish. This is another case of not being situational aware. Sometimes you just have other things on your mind. In this day and age we can never be too careful. I have a friend in our shooting club that was car jacked just as you described it. I would imagine that the simple mistake is probably 95% of the time but what about the other 5%???

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasTornado »

Ok, please everyone, the techie in me is begging. If your car is less than 5-10 years old please go through the menu options (usually to the right of your speedometer and tack) there should be options to automatically lock and unlock your doors.

For example, my doors lock when I shift out of park and don't unlock until I remove the key, at which point ONLY the driver door unlocks preventing someone from sliding in through another door.

Taking the few extra seconds to make this change could save your life.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Stormvet wrote:This is what happened a hour or so ago. My wife daughter and I went threw the drive threw got our food and parked outside to eat. About 3 minutes into the food being passed out after giving thanks, my daughter screams. As I turn and looked some guy had already opened our back door. When he saw someone was in the vehicle he jumped back and apologized and said sorry wrong vehicle and left.
What ever was his intentions were I learned some valuable lessons tonight.
#1. Have loaded gun beside me and not in the floor board by my seat.
#2. Have all doors locked at all times.
#3. Even after praying or giving thanks take a second look around. But thanks to the good Lord he was looking out for us.
It can happen quickly. Just thought I would share.
Fixed it for you. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Stormvet

Post by Stormvet »

Thanks bud for the correction!
Also I was the only Tahoe I the parking lot. So I don't think it was a mistake.
Also I think there was drug dealing in the parking lot. This gentleman,after opening my door, got into another vehicle, made a circle drive , then got out. The same vehicle "A" set in the parking lot and vehicle "B" pulled up and opened door got out and got into vehicle "A" did the same circle and got out and both cars left.

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasTornado »

Stormvet wrote:Thanks bud for the correction!
Also I think there was drug dealing in the parking lot. This gentleman,after opening my door, got into another vehicle, made a circle drive , then got out. The same vehicle "A" set in the parking lot and vehicle "B" pulled up and opened door got out and got into vehicle "A" did the same circle and got out and both cars left.

What year is your Tahoe?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

I was leaving Ikea once, my wife got the car and drove it around. I was doing a return and wife needed to charge her phone or something like that. So my son, about 10 at the time, walked out with me. Wife pulled up, i opened the back door and my son just kept looking at me. I said "Let's go, get in!". He just kept looking at me. I look in the car and there was some old Asian lady looking at us while sitting in the back seat. I had the WRONG CAR!!! I will never forget the look of all the people in the car, like deer in headlights!!! "rlol"

I learned a good lesson that day, im sure they did too!!! :smilelol5:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
Stormvet

Post by Stormvet »

Year model is 2013

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Stormvet wrote:Thanks bud for the correction!
It could have been someone selling a gun or something else that was legal with multiple potential buyers who have wanted to take a look at it.

I second the recommendation to have your doors auto-lock.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Why are you eating in the car when you are sitting outside of a restaurant? They have tables and chairs, and refills on the drinks!

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

The Whataburger near me is so busy at lunch it is difficult to find a place to park or sit. I often find myself going through the drive thru and eating in the truck. I generally try to lock my doors as it is impossible to be aware of stuff around you.

Yes, I prefer to sit inside as I like to get a drink refill before I leave.

ELB

Post by ELB »

MechAg94 wrote:The Whataburger near me is so busy at lunch it is difficult to find a place to park or sit. I often find myself going through the drive thru and eating in the truck. I generally try to lock my doors as it is impossible to be aware of stuff around you.

Yes, I prefer to sit inside as I like to get a drink refill before I leave.
When I have to do the fast-food thing, I often find my car more pleasant than the inside of McWhataQueen
USAF 1982-2005

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I'm with ELB.

I don't like the noise inside fast food restaurant, or the smell, or at times, someone's screaming child.

The inside of my vehicle is far, far more pleasant.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Abraham wrote:I'm with ELB.

I don't like the noise inside fast food restaurant, or the smell, or at times, someone's screaming child.

The inside of my vehicle is far, far more pleasant.
I find that my car takes on the smell just from bringing that stuff home from a drive through. Not big on eating in the car. I'll eat it there, or take it back to work / home to eat.

KLB

Post by KLB »

Several times, when coming out of a store, I've tried to enter the wrong car. It doesn't even have to be the same model. I have a gray sedan, and most sedans (because fuel-efficiency-mandated wind tunnel tests) look quite similar. If I'm thinking about something else, it's easy to go to the wrong car.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”