Hog Leg carriers

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Hog Leg carriers

Post by cmgee67 »

Just thought I'd make a fun post and see who out there carries a 45acp and if so what gun and also in what holster or rig? Mine is my Glock 30 in an alien gear cloak tuck 3.0

Javier730
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hog Leg carriers

Post by Javier730 »

Not something I carry all the time but I carry a Glock 21SF in an alien gear iwb often.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

A Glock 30 ain't a hog leg, this is a hog leg!!

Funny story about the term. We were in Branson, MO and getting ready to take a train ride down through the Ozarks. They were checking bags and the conductor was cutting up and asked my Mother-In-Law 'You don't have a hog leg in that big purse of your's do you?' Dead serious, she says 'No, but I might have some peanut butter crackers if you are hungry. Why would I have a hog leg in my purse?' :headscratch

Everyone just busted out laughing. We had to explain to her what the term was in reference to. :roll:

"rlol"
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I have a paraordnance P14 1911, I carry it in a pancake holster, I do have a drop leg holster from when I was a medic on a tactical team but I'd never wear that out and about. I have been OC'ing alot since the weather has gotten hot
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Springfield XDm .45 3.8 Compact in Crossbreed Super Tuck
NRA Life Member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Can we OC in a drop leg?

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

For OC, I sometimes wear a full size Colt 1911 in an El Paso Saddlery Strongside Select.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

Springfield Armory XD 45 Compact, 4 inch, in a Triple T IWB holster.

Highly recommend the Triple T holster. Family owned business right here in Texas :txflag:
J.R.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

M&P 45c, in a On Your 6 IWB or a White Hat IWB, if I'm not carrying my Shield 9mm.
Alternate back and forth depending on how I feel.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

G30 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur, Comp-Tac Infidel or Galco Fletch.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I guess I don't consider a "Hog Leg" any thing short of a 8 " barreled pistol such as a Peace Maker. Some thing like John Wayne told "Drego" to pull out in Mc Clintock.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

G21SF in a Safariland 7T 7378 with mounted TLR1 using the belt slide because the paddle had too much of a forward cant that could not be adjusted enough.

or

G30SF in a Blackhawk Sportster paddle until a 7TS is available.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

yerasimos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by yerasimos »

cmgee67 wrote:Can we OC in a drop leg?
I am not a LTC instructor, lawyer, or expert on this matter. However, my input would be that:

1. I did a search for the word "belt" in Chapter 46, Texas Penal Code (Weapons), and did not find language actually defining what constitutes a belt holster.

2. From what have observed, many/most of the drop leg holsters connect in some manner with a belt to provide support.

3. From a purely practical perspective, it seems to me as though a drop-leg holster may result in hindering accessibility when seated or whenever the hips are flexed, such that the user may find it difficult to get a 100% full grip on the gun prior to draw from holster. Extending/raising the hips (so the upper leg is parallel with the torso, as in a standing position) might make it easier to get the full grip and smooth draw.

Maybe a sandbox veteran, police officer or someone else with extensive experience with these types of holsters can share their experience and any recommendations.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

yerasimos wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Can we OC in a drop leg?
I am not a LTC instructor, lawyer, or expert on this matter. However, my input would be that:

1. I did a search for the word "belt" in Chapter 46, Texas Penal Code (Weapons), and did not find language actually defining what constitutes a belt holster.

2. From what have observed, many/most of the drop leg holsters connect in some manner with a belt to provide support.

3. From a purely practical perspective, it seems to me as though a drop-leg holster may result in hindering accessibility when seated or whenever the hips are flexed, such that the user may find it difficult to get a 100% full grip on the gun prior to draw from holster. Extending/raising the hips (so the upper leg is parallel with the torso, as in a standing position) might make it easier to get the full grip and smooth draw.

Maybe a sandbox veteran, police officer or someone else with extensive experience with these types of holsters can share their experience and any recommendations.
Yes id like to know

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”