Best Brands for AR parts?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JMod45
Posts in topic: 5

Best Brands for AR parts?

Post by JMod45 »

I bought an Aero Precision AR-15 over July 4 weekend, and I have been looking into upgrades and such. I've changed the hand guard, added a light, and got a scope mounted.
The front iron sight is fixed, and doubles as the gas block. I plan on changing the block for one without sights, since I can see it through the scope.
I have done some research, and I would like to get an adjustable gas block. I was hoping for one with a picatinny rail also, but I think I'll have to go without if I want it adjustable.

What are some good name brands to go with? At this point I am just using Google to find where parts are sold, but I don't know what brands are quality. I prefer to pay the extra money to get a quality part, especially for things like this.

Just to be sure, an AR-15 has a 0.750 gas tube, right?

maverick2076

Re: Best Brands for AR parts?

Post by maverick2076 »

.750" refers to the barrel diameter, not the gas tube size. That is the standard barrel diameter, and most likely what yours is.

As far as parts go, for the most part, go wit the best deal on price you can find. An adjustable gas block is not some high precision piece of machinery. Unless you are looking for a specific feature, such as a quick adjust lever, find the best price and go with it.

JP enterprises does have an adjustably block with a picatinny top rail. I think I saw it in stock the other day online, but I can't remember where. Check Brownell's, Midway USA, Primary Arms, or Palmetto State, as those are the places I do 90% of my parts shopping.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jb2012 »

JMod45 wrote:I bought an Aero Precision AR-15 over July 4 weekend, and I have been looking into upgrades and such. I've changed the hand guard, added a light, and got a scope mounted.
The front iron sight is fixed, and doubles as the gas block. I plan on changing the block for one without sights, since I can see it through the scope.
I have done some research, and I would like to get an adjustable gas block. I was hoping for one with a picatinny rail also, but I think I'll have to go without if I want it adjustable.

What are some good name brands to go with? At this point I am just using Google to find where parts are sold, but I don't know what brands are quality. I prefer to pay the extra money to get a quality part, especially for things like this.

Just to be sure, an AR-15 has a 0.750 gas tube, right?
Barrels and BCG aside, you will find that for the most part mil-spec is mil-spec. More likely than not you are paying for the name rather than the quality, as most is standardized. For instance I own 3 lowers, a spikes ($100), runner runner billet ($120), and an anderson ($50). The runner runner is definitely nicer than the rest, but the anderson is definitely a quality product that I would trust. Aero is a great brand, and their parts are great quality, so you have a good platform to start from. If you want a lo-profile gas block just find one that fits your barrel (more than likely .750). Is there a reason you would like adjustable? On a regular unsupressed rifle it isn't very necessary unless you are trying to fine tune the gas system. However, doing that will really only be tailoring it to a specific load, and may or may not work great with others. A standard non adjustable gas block will probably be over gassed, but your rifle will also more than likely run more consistently with all types of ammo. If you're interested in a trigger I would highly suggest CMC, but others here also like timney and geissle, which are also both good. Like mentioned above find the best price for whatever you want, most things are just mil-spec. As far as barrels, I am still learning myself. For a BCG I would say get a full auto, and Nickel Boron.

Revet
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Revet »

You've gotten some good suggestions so far, but for barrels and triggers I'd add Wilson Combat. I've been very happy with mine.
Common sense is not common practice.
NRA Benefactor, TSRA life member.

el_chupo_

Post by el_chupo_ »

With a fixed front sight post, I assume you have a standard handguard with the cap held in place by this. You said you replaced the rail, did you go free float, or go with a different drop in rail?

If free float, do you plan on extending it to cover the new gas block?

If so, why not just shave the FSP and be done with it?

If not, do you want to do something like a railed gas block for a folding sight, or just a basic one to keep the gun functional, and not a single shot?

Topic author
JMod45

Post by JMod45 »

I did see the JP enterprises on Brownell's but it looks like it is no longer in production for .750.

I am not getting as precise as custom loads, I do plan on meeting up with a friend of mine in the next week or so and trying out a lot of different bullets to find out which one works best with the gun. I am also interested in suppressors, so I am thinking about this long term. If I'm going to be changing the part out anyway, I may as well buy the nicer one that will meet my needs later on too.

I haven't started on the trigger upgrades yet. I am sure I will get to those at some point.

The hand guard I got is this:
https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-sl- ... ine-length

I haven't even thought about how the hand guard is attached at the front. I'll have to go look at it when I finish here.

I wanted a rail on it for the option of putting an open sight back on easily if I ever decide I don't want to use the scope. I've also thought about 45 degree sights I could have next to the scope that would mount there.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I replaced the fixed front sites on all my AR's with this one from Yankee Hill. Works great and I can add a flip up site if I need it after Armageddon depletes all the batteries on the planet rendering my red dot useless. Zombies are coming....

http://www.primaryarms.com/yhm-9385a/p/yhm-9385a/
III

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Here is what I would do.

1. Send the MOE handguard back.
2. Get a Matrix Arms free float key mod rail from Joe Bob Outfitters. A 15" one will run you $70.
3. Get a Radical Firearms adjustable gas block from Aim Surplus for $30.

For about $100, you will get a nice, slim free float hand guard with a rail on top and the adjustable gas block you want.

It's a more versatile setup that will perform better. It also has the advantage of being in stock.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

There absolutely are varying degrees of "mil-spec". There are different specifications for things like F-marked FSP, anodizing grades, etc. Also, not everything that is mil-spec fits quite the same way. Billet may not fit the same as forged. Something to keep in mind.

Great brands that I've used include Troy, Seekins, Battle Arms Development, Rainier, Mega Arms, Magpul, LMT, Timney, Fortis, Bravo Company (their BCGs are top notch).

I personally think all things Colt, while it may be decent stuff, is terribly over priced.

Great value brands that are not bad include Palmetto State Armory (can't beat their blemish sales), Primary Arms(VERY good budget optics, especially red dots, but not up to par with something like Vortex Optics). I've used both of those brands as well.

Brands I've heard great things about but have not used include 2A, LANTAC, Noveske, Daniel Defense (US Army Rangers use these rifles extensively), SLR Rifleworks, Centurion.

A few things to consider when looking at accessories:

Keymod vs MLOK - two different attachment systems. If you buy a free float rail, know which one it is, as it affects some brands you can buy. Some brands like Magpul only make MLOK (they designed it), and other brands only make Keymod. Some do both. It is personal preference, I've used both. They are NOT compatible.

Never put a sight on a gas block. Keep both sights on the same rail - or at the very least, keep the front sight on the front rail. Front rail on a quality free float handguard will likely match the upper receiver rail quite well. It won't shift either as most quality rails have an anti-tilt design which locks them into position on the upper receiver.

If you do not like co-witness, look into flip up iron sights. I run these on every rifle I own, even ones with higher powered scopes. Only exception is my Seekins SP-10, and that will get Troy flip ups eventually.

Don't get into chasing every last ounce of accuracy. It turns into a money pit. Get the rifle set up and spend the savings on ammo for practice.

Billet tends to look nicer, fit better, but costs more as a result of the machining and excess metal lost in the process. I tend to prefer billet, but I can get parts at a pretty good discount for several brands.

Triggers can make a huge difference. You don't need a Timney to get an improvement, but in my opinion there is no better trigger for the AR platform.

Have fun, and welcome to Black Rifle Disease!

Topic author
JMod45

Post by JMod45 »

The magpul hand guard was an impulse buy to get me somewhere to put a light for cheap. I can't convince myself that I need a free floating rail yet, and I actually like how the guard feels when holding it.

As far as open sights, I just want something quick and easy, and it's just an idea right now, haven't taken it any further than that. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle scope, and I really like it. putting a sight on the gas block would basically be for quick shooting at something within 50 yards. Don't need much accuracy for that.

Something like a $30 adjustable gas block is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I'm sure that is the type of item that would give adjustable a bad name. I think that is what people are talking about when they complain that the set screw backs out after a lot of shooting.

After doing some research, I think I'm going for the SLR adjustable gas block
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?rout ... uct_id=123

cyphur, I'm going to be on google this evening looking up a lot of those brands, adding lines to my wishlist.

"welcome to Black Rifle Disease!"
Yeah, I'm starting to realize how true that is. lol

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

I love when people complain about a product because the price is too low.

Do you seriously think someone on here is going to recommend you poor quality parts? I've used that gas block before. I just ordered two more for personal builds. If you are willing to pay for a name, then more power to you. But don't talk crap about recemmondations given to you by others on this forum, who you asked for help, just because you've bought into some brand's hype.

Topic author
JMod45

Post by JMod45 »

I'm asking questions on the forum because I have no knowledge aside from what I am reading online. I do appreciate the input.

When I look up the part you mentioned, on PrimaryArms.com, this is what I see:

I am not basing my opinion solely on this picture, or that website, nor this forum for that matter. I am trying to get as much information as possible, and then make an informed decision based on what I can afford.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Sounds like what you have done to the rifle so far is about perfect, especially if the scope is a 1x on the low end.

Is this a fun/competition rifle, or a serious use rifle?

If a serious use rifle, just an optic, sling, and light is about perfect. Spend the rest of the money on ammo, magazines, and training.

Adjustable gas blocks on a serious use rifle are just one more thing to go wrong when everything has to go right.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

LeonCarr wrote:
Adjustable gas blocks on a serious use rifle are just one more thing to go wrong when everything has to go right.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Nailed it. I think a freefloat handguard would serve you much better than the MOE but if that's what you like stick with it and buy quality mags!

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

JMod45 wrote:The magpul hand guard was an impulse buy to get me somewhere to put a light for cheap. I can't convince myself that I need a free floating rail yet, and I actually like how the guard feels when holding it.

As far as open sights, I just want something quick and easy, and it's just an idea right now, haven't taken it any further than that. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle scope, and I really like it. putting a sight on the gas block would basically be for quick shooting at something within 50 yards. Don't need much accuracy for that.
Sounds like you know the trade-offs. I've never liked them but plenty of people have gone that route, otherwise there would be no market for them!
JMod45 wrote: Something like a $30 adjustable gas block is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I'm sure that is the type of item that would give adjustable a bad name. I think that is what people are talking about when they complain that the set screw backs out after a lot of shooting.

After doing some research, I think I'm going for the SLR adjustable gas block
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?rout ... uct_id=123
For the sake of price shopping, here is a gas block I've used personally on a 10.5" SBR with great success: http://www.bauer-precision.com/seekins- ... k-750-dia/

<$60 and gets you the same thing. You can't go wrong either way.

maverick2076 wrote:I love when people complain about a product because the price is too low.

Do you seriously think someone on here is going to recommend you poor quality parts? I've used that gas block before. I just ordered two more for personal builds. If you are willing to pay for a name, then more power to you. But don't talk crap about recemmondations given to you by others on this forum, who you asked for help, just because you've bought into some brand's hype.
If he did his research and found lots of negative reviews of people who have them, how is he complaining? He is simply stating his research and noting that he is going in a different direction.

Why you complain about his decision or feedback is what is beyond me.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”