Geocache on my property. Now what?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Geocache on my property. Now what?

Post by mojo84 »

By the way, I would start with a no trespassing sign. Then determine which geocaching site your property is listed on and demand it be removed. You can also set up a game camera to gather evidence.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmorris »

FuziDave wrote:their web site is here: https://www.geocaching.com/play

you might be able to search for the exact one. or you can contact the admin there. they are only allowed to place them on private property w/ the permission of the land owner. you could tell them to remove it from their site since you didn't give your permission.
Geochached for a few years. I knew of one person in the San Antonio area that often put them on private property, even with posted no trespassing signs, without permission. In one cache posting she even gave directions on how to avoid no trespassing signs so you could claim you didn't see them. I called her on it, stating what the penalty could be if caught and her response was "don't get caught".

Now she wasn't the norm but the attitude wasn't unusual. Bad apples in every group.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Put some ammo in the Geocache with a note that says "get a good look at this bullet, because the next one is going to be coming much quicker."

Seriously though, you need to put something in it so that the next person who finds it will post their experience as finding something that told them not to come back.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

I had Geocached at one time, before smart phones and geocaching apps, but I lost interest when it became more mainstream and I learned what I wanted. My primary use of it was to learn how to better use my handheld GPS device better. At one time some Geocaches required you bring a shovel, those were banned. Trespass became an issue and rules were put into place. I believe a proper GEOCACHE now has to have it's ID # inside or on it now and you are supposed to get permission to place it from whoever owns the land. I would attempt to locate the cache itself and then contact the website and request that the cache be disabled and it's maintainer be contacted and told not to place a new one. After that I would register with the geocache website it was placed on and monitor my property with the goal of caching new caches, removing them, and reporting their maintainers. My goal would be to find it, kill it, and make sure that whoever placed it knows that the property is off limits to new caches.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

steveincowtown wrote:Put some ammo in the Geocache with a note that says "get a good look at this bullet, because the next one is going to be coming much quicker."

Seriously though, you need to put something in it so that the next person who finds it will post their experience as finding something that told them not to come back.
I would consider this a bad idea AND I would advise against it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

My kids and I hunted geocaches a couple of times. Great fun, just a harmless treasure hunt when the geocache is located in a public place.

The virtual caches are the most fun, particularly when they are associated with some kind of history.

For instance, I'm pretty sure the last remaining border marker for the Republic of Texas is listed as a virtual geocache. It's the last international boundary marker remaining in the lower 48 states.

Good to know where that is. We might need to clean it up, put a fresh coat of paint on it and put it back to work someday. :biggrinjester:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've been a geocacher since about the year 2000, and have had one of my "travel bugs" that I put into play in Pasadena CA travel all over the U.S. and Puerto Rico. The owners of the geocaching.com website are pretty responsive to the membership. You can join the site for free. Paid membership, which I have had for years, gets you more perks, but the basic service which is free is good enough for the casual user. There is a mobil app that will help you find geocache locations on your cellphone: https://www.geocaching.com/mobile/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

jmorris wrote:

you might be able to search for the exact one. or you can contact the admin there. they are only allowed to place them on private property w/ the permission of the land owner. you could tell them to remove it from their site since you didn't give your permission.
Geochached for a few years. I knew of one person in the San Antonio area that often put them on private property, even with posted no trespassing signs, without permission. In one cache posting she even gave directions on how to avoid no trespassing signs so you could claim you didn't see them. I called her on it, stating what the penalty could be if caught and her response was "don't get caught".

Now she wasn't the norm but the attitude wasn't unusual. Bad apples in every group.
I'd be willing to bet she was a progressive/liberal.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

C-dub wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:Wow, I never knew such things existed! Our civilization must be getting really bored. How about this one, find a job and then find money!
What does this have to do with getting a job and finding money?
I think he was just making a reference to finding a job instead of poking around trying to find some object on someones property.
LOL. You described my job (surveyor). I don't geocache, too much like work!

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

steveincowtown wrote:Put some ammo in the Geocache with a note that says "get a good look at this bullet, because the next one is going to be coming much quicker."

I like both ideas. :evil2: I guess I need to find the thing first.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Ok, ok!!! I recant!!!! I just just making a joke!!!! I'm sure it's fun to do!

For some reason I don't have Emoji's when I use my iPhone!

Joking! Joking!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Glue the lid shut and mark the outside, "This is private property. You are trespassing."
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote:
jmorris wrote:

I'd be willing to bet she was a progressive/liberal.
That kind of lack of respect demands a stronger response........like no trespassing signs warning that you enter at your own risk and accept all liabilities if you do, and then tripwires and pepper spray, or something equally diabolical. :evil2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

The geocaching organization has a position called a Reviewer whose job it is to ensure that any cache placed is done so within the boundaries of the rules. There are only a couple of Reviewers for all of Texas. Many cache "owners" place caches on private property under a belief that attaching something to a fence is okay. All you have to do is look for one listed as on your property and complain to a Reviewer and they will shut the cache down. I myself have been geocaching for years and it is a lot of fun. Am happy to further help if the above offered assistance doesn't pan out. Any member can go onto a particular cache web page and request that a cache be shut down and list as the basis that they land owner requested that the cache be removed.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

S&Wfanatic

Post by S&Wfanatic »

If you cant find it on the website, there is an app for both IOS and Android. Once you download it and open it, it will mark on the map geocaches close to you. I believe it has a blue dot on the map that represents your position so the green dot, the caches, close to your location would likely be the one you are looking for on your property.

My kids and I play this game all the time, and there are rules, and one of them is, if it's on private property get the owners permission first.
9/30/08 - App received by DPS
10/16/08 - Receieved PIN - Processing App
1/23/09 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
1/29/09 - Plastic in hand

Return to “Off-Topic”