Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

AR-10/AR-15 - Ultimate Jig

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.jtactical.com/AR-10AR-15--Ul ... _p_82.html
After considering everybody's feedback regarding jigs, we were able to develop our patent pending Ultimate Jig. With this jig, you are now able to build both AR-10 and AR-15 80% lowers. Our alignment tool that ensures the pocket is always centered in combination with our oversized top plates allows for very smooth and consistent finishing. Pair that with our press fit stainless steel drill bushings and included depth gage, you will have yourself the perfect tool to finish any top-tier AR rifle. The only thing necessary to get your project going is a drill press or a hand drill and router; everything else provided in your Ultimate Jig Kit.
MSRP $189.00

I'm going to order one in a couple of days.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR-10/AR-15 - Ultimate Jig

Post by Skiprr »

Gotta look into this. Very interesting.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

I love this! I am a tool and gadget nerd. I used to work in a place that had a machine shop and observed craftsmen build things from blocks of metal. This looks to be very nicely built.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Dan20703 wrote:I love this! I am a tool and gadget nerd. I used to work in a place that had a machine shop and observed craftsmen build things from blocks of metal. This looks to be very nicely built.
My son is in machinist school right now and will be graduating with 6 different NIMS certifications. We're going to make some nice lowers!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote:Oh my - it does AR10 receivers too? :evil2:
Ayup! Generally speaking, I prefer my SCAR 17 over the AR10 I used to own, but the AR10 is a perfectly fine platform and can be very accurate and reliable. The ONLY problem with it is that it is far less standardized than the AR15 platform. Some brands won't take all magazines for instance. So I wouldn't buy an AR10 80% lower that wasn't compliant with PMAG/SR25 pattern magazines. But other than that, why not? You gotta love the .308 cartridge's flexibility (I do) and the pretty much duplicate manual of arms with the smaller rifle.

#TINVOWOOT

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I saw this last night and was very interested as well...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

dave_in_austin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dave_in_austin »

With those thick top plates, it looks as if you will need extra long tooling.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

dave_in_austin wrote:With those thick top plates, it looks as if you will need extra long tooling.
Not at all, pretty standard stuff
Endmill specs:
0.3125" Carbide Endmill 3 flute, 0.750 length of cut, 4.00" overall length
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

dave_in_austin

Post by dave_in_austin »

E.Marquez wrote:
dave_in_austin wrote:With those thick top plates, it looks as if you will need extra long tooling.
Endmill specs:
4 inches is pretty long for a 5/16 end mill. There is the potential for a lot of flex. You would have to take pretty light cuts.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

dave_in_austin wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
Endmill specs:
4 inches is pretty long for a 5/16 end mill. There is the potential for a lot of flex. You would have to take pretty light cuts.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:

It is about the longest OAL you'll find in a "standard" end mil..
I just went and measured a dozen smaller end mils of the 4 5/16 end mills I have, 2 were 4" OAL, the rest smaller. All of the smaller dia end mils I had were in the 3~2" OAL

So Yes I agree my memory was fuzzy... 4"OAL on a 5/6" is longish for a standard end mill in that size.
With a moderately ridgid set up and the type of material being cut, cut depth would be best in the .1250 " or less. And that's going to be a requirement anyway with the tooling most folks are going to use at home, a cheap router.. a tool not really designed for the task,m but seems to do the job just fine.

I looked at building a jig to do this ...but it was not worth my time vs the minimal cost for a decent pre made jig.
If you're going to use the jig more then once, I would make sure the jig has steel drill bushings, and steel guide plates for the router
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

jason812

Post by jason812 »

dave_in_austin wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
Endmill specs:
Depends on how much is in the holder, the type of holder, carbide, steel, blah blah blah
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”