So...I got pulled over......

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mikebass78
Posts in topic: 1

So...I got pulled over......

Post by mikebass78 »

Went to a wedding in Canton last weekend....I love fishing, but never been to Tawakoni...and I knew it was close....There was a boat on the side of the road, stopped to look at it, guy came out we talked about 30 mins, told me how to get to the Sabine River bridge, where the DAM dumps out into the river.... so me and my lady drove back the other way, twisty road...got to the bridge, parked, go out, looked around, watched a few ppl catch some sandbass....

Headed back up the road after about 20 mins....NORMALLY I set my cruise control and cruise and the one time I didn't.....

I might have been going 66, in a 60...Im thinking closer to 63, but who knows....SO...he zaps me, pulls me over....

Now mind you I haven't been pulled over in at least 9 years or more....and didn't have my CHL back then....

So I remember all the ppl that have gotten pulled over ( including my CHL instructor) just hand them TXDL and CHL...So i did, kept both hands on the wheel....

He says, "pulled you over because the speed limit through here is 60"

Never said, how fast I was going...but anyways...

Then he noticed my CHL on the bottom and says

"Are you carrying today"..
I said "yes sir"
he says, "where is your firearm, I said, "I have one in the glovebox and one in the door, he jokingly says, you have two?"
I said, "yes, kinda far from home" he says, "yeah, can never be to careful"
and then says "if I write you a warning, will you slow down" ... I said "absolutely"
he hands my CHL, and takes my DL back to the car

comes back with my warning, and says....so what kind of gun do you carry, I said I just switched to and LCP, easier to conceal...
he says, I have one of those, love it, it's a great little gun...he told me what his off duty carry was, but I forgot, and we chatted a little more about carry guns in general...

Then he says, now I have to ask...you're not one of guys that lets everyone see your gun are you?

I said no sir, not a fan of open carry...

He said, "me either, I don't want to lose the element of surprise, or be the first target...all these guys like it's the wild west...I respect everyones right to carry, but we don't need to see your guns"

Anyways, then he said, Thank you, have a safe drive back home.

Lena

Re: So...I got pulled over......

Post by Lena »

Almost a carbon copy of most stops I have been told about including myself.
Stay Safe

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

I was stopped last week, nice young man. When I handed him my DL and LTC, he said, "thanks for showing me that" and handed it back. I asked if he wanted me to get my proof of insurance and he said no, he already saw it on the computer. This was a revenue stop. I was the first car going over an overpass. He was sitting on the down side.

He asked if I had any tickets recently. I thought about it and realized this was the first ticket I've had in Texas in 55 years. I did get a couple in San Diego, not counting the ones I beat, and one in a speed trap in AZ.

I guess I have to go to stupid study now.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

See if you can pay to make it go away (a.k.a. Deferred Adjudication). Municipalities like this because they get to keep the "court costs" which mysteriously equal or exceed the fine... You plead "nolo contendere", don't get any violations in the same jurisdiction for 6 months, and it goes away... :shock:

Also stays off your license record, unlike traffic school. This is what I always do if I don't think I can beat the ticket in court. Not every jurisdiction offers it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

JALLEN wrote:I was stopped last week, nice young man. When I handed him my DL and LTC, he said, "thanks for showing me that" and handed it back. I asked if he wanted me to get my proof of insurance and he said no, he already saw it on the computer. This was a revenue stop. I was the first car going over an overpass. He was sitting on the down side.

He asked if I had any tickets recently. I thought about it and realized this was the first ticket I've had in Texas in 55 years. I did get a couple in San Diego, not counting the ones I beat, and one in a speed trap in AZ.

Was it a city cop or a state trooper? I hear state troopers look the other way and city cops are a crap shoot.

I know a state trooper warned me about doing 90 in a 55 last summer. In a construction zone.

RETiffner

Post by RETiffner »

I got pulled over in Cross Plains Friday. I handed both LTC and DL to officer upon his approach to drivers side window (I was moving WAY too fast for posted speed, I wasn't getting out of a ticket). He handed me back my LTC w just the question "Are you now...?" I responded that I was carrying in right hip and had another under center console. He just nodded and we chatted about the rain. He didn't have a concern in the world and knocked my alleged speed down to make me eligible for deferred or defensive driving.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

What's the difference between a ND and reckless driving and/or speeding as far as public safety is concerned? I'm kinda' old and slow, somebody help me, please,

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Bruin98 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:I was stopped last week, nice young man. When I handed him my DL and LTC, he said, "thanks for showing me that" and handed it back. I asked if he wanted me to get my proof of insurance and he said no, he already saw it on the computer. This was a revenue stop. I was the first car going over an overpass. He was sitting on the down side.

Was it a city cop or a state trooper? I hear state troopers look the other way and city cops are a crap shoot.

I know a state trooper warned me about doing 90 in a 55 last summer. In a construction zone.
City police. He said he was working speed, cellphone and seat belts on a popular main road. That's why I alluded to it as a revenue stop. No warnings, they want the money. The speed limit is 45 mph, he said. I've only lived in this area for 3 years, but I may yet find someone on that road who isn't turning going 45, maybe.

I realize what happened. I was in the center lane with a truck behind me in the right lane, what I call "Blue Angel" formation. I knew I would be turning right up ahead, and as we crested over the over pass, I sped up to put some space between us to make a lane change. Otherwise, I was with the flow of traffic.

Oh well! Odds are I will never get another.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Oldgringo wrote:What's the difference between a ND and reckless driving and/or speeding as far as public safety is concerned? I'm kinda' old and slow, somebody help me, please,
A ND is almost always dangerous to oneself and others and speeding almost never is... :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Steve

Post by Steve »

One time I was driving back from a buddies place and was pulled over twice for a broken headlight, once in Friendswood and once in Pearland. I guess because it was pretty late and I was the only one on 518. My buddy coincidentally was a police officer himself, so technically that was three LEO encounters in a span of less than an hour. :lol:

Probably one of the more eventful drives home I have had. Nothing bad happened and both time I ended chatting with the officer about what gun I used. Once I got home I went on amazon and checked the tracking # for that darn spare headlight. It couldn't get here fast enough.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

JALLEN wrote:
Bruin98 wrote:

City police. He said he was working speed, cellphone and seat belts on a popular main road. That's why I alluded to it as a revenue stop. No warnings, they want the money. The speed limit is 45 mph, he said. I've only lived in this area for 3 years, but I may yet find someone on that road who isn't turning going 45, maybe.

I realize what happened. I was in the center lane with a truck behind me in the right lane, what I call "Blue Angel" formation. I knew I would be turning right up ahead, and as we crested over the over pass, I sped up to put some space between us to make a lane change. Otherwise, I was with the flow of traffic.

Oh well! Odds are I will never get another.
Sorry, but apparently am moving slow this morning. But what does working cellphone mean as far as traffic stops? For school zones you mean?
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

loktite

Post by loktite »

Glockster wrote:Sorry, but apparently am moving slow this morning. But what does working cellphone mean as far as traffic stops? For school zones you mean?
A lot of cities have laws / signs posted against using a cellphone while driving now. ( Signs often say that handsfree use ONLY is permitted ).
NRA Endowment Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

loktite wrote:
Glockster wrote:Sorry, but apparently am moving slow this morning. But what does working cellphone mean as far as traffic stops? For school zones you mean?
A lot of cities have laws / signs posted against using a cellphone while driving now. ( Signs often say that handsfree use ONLY is permitted ).
Yep. They are looking for that now in many places.

Mick22

Post by Mick22 »

Steve wrote:One time I was driving back from a buddies place and was pulled over twice for a broken headlight, once in Friendswood and once in Pearland. I guess because it was pretty late and I was the only one on 518. My buddy coincidentally was a police officer himself, so technically that was three LEO encounters in a span of less than an hour. :lol:

Probably one of the more eventful drives home I have had. Nothing bad happened and both time I ended chatting with the officer about what gun I used. Once I got home I went on amazon and checked the tracking # for that darn spare headlight. It couldn't get here fast enough.
About 12 years ago, I barely made it out the parking lot from work before being lit up by Friendswood's finest. It was late, so they probably had nothing better to do. Got ticketed for a busted headlight and no proof of insurance.

I drive off and a few miles down the road, get pulled over by League City. I show them the ticket I just received and they send me on my way.

Went to the court, showed them the receipt for a new headlight and proof of insurance, ticket dismissed.

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

RETiffner wrote:I got pulled over in Cross Plains Friday. I handed both LTC and DL to officer upon his approach to drivers side window (I was moving WAY too fast for posted speed, I wasn't getting out of a ticket). He handed me back my LTC w just the question "Are you now...?" I responded that I was carrying in right hip and had another under center console. He just nodded and we chatted about the rain. He didn't have a concern in the world and knocked my alleged speed down to make me eligible for deferred or defensive driving.
Interesting...the last place I got cited was ALSO Cross Plains, Texas.
Folks....slow down through Cross Plains! :shock:
Can't complain...I was going about 10mph over. As a police officer I knew would say "I don't GIVE people citations...they have to EARN them." Well, I earned mine. :lol:
But my carrying with my CHL didn't bother him in the least.
I was in LE for nearly 11 years, and it sort of depended on the situation as to whether or not I wrote a citation. If it was a regular roadway and they were going 10mph over I would always write a citation. We had strict instructions about school zones...no warnings...always write. If someone was going 5-6mph over I'd stop them. Even though I wasn't going to write them for the speed (written warning), it was also a good time to check for driver's license (yep...lots of unlicensed drivers....license suspended, etc)...insurance...warrants, etc. Also, other drivers saw us on the side of the road...and statistics show that when people see a police car with the red and blues going on a traffic stop they'll drive safer for around 20-30mins.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”