Home Alarm Permit

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Home Alarm Permit

Post by jbirds1210 »

The town I reside in requires a $5.00 annual permit to have a monitored home alarm.

I received a reminder in the mail yesterday that stated I need to obtain this permit or be charged with a misdemeanor crime in the event that police had to respond....ok, I paid the five bucks...no problem.

The interesting part of the application is that one of the questions asked if there are firearms in the home! Why does it matter? Am I under any legal oblgation to answer the question? This was a bit of a surprise to me....I thought you folks might be able to shed some light on the situation.

FWIW.....one of my dear friends is the firearms instructor for the department and I shoot with a large percentage of the force. These guys already know I have guns...I just found it funny that something like that would be asked.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

League City has an alarm permit fee tax. I do not recall any question regarding firearms.

If it did I would answer "Doesn't everyone?".

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I'm speculating here, but my guess is that if the police respond to an alarm, they want to know if the intruder possibly armed himself with a weapon found in the house.

Making false statements on government documents is an offense:
PC § 37.10. TAMPERING WITH GOVERNMENTAL RECORD. (a) A person commits an offense if he:
(1) knowingly makes a false entry in, or false alteration of, a governmental record;
Therefore I would reluctantly give the correct answer.

- Jim

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Mine does not ask about guns...just alarm type, contact info, whether the rear of the property is accessible, and if there are any animals, what kind, and what areas they occupy.

My annual fee is $25.00.

Topic author
jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

seamusTX wrote:I'm speculating here, but my guess is that if the police respond to an alarm, they want to know if the intruder possibly armed himself with a weapon found in the house.
I just assumed they would treat every situation as if it was an armed intruder. Interesting view.....thanks.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

The police are supposed to operate under the assumption that ALL bg's are armed. KNowing whether the owner of a home has a gun doesn't mean doodly.

Fort Worth PD does not have that question on the alarm permit app. If they did, I would leave it blank or put Nunya there.
FWPD charges $25 per year. You got it good Jbirds.

seamusTX wrote:I'm speculating here, but my guess is that if the police respond to an alarm, they want to know if the intruder possibly armed himself with a weapon found in the house.

PC § 37.10. TAMPERING WITH GOVERNMENTAL RECORD. (a) A person commits an offense if he:
(1) knowingly makes a false entry in, or false alteration of, a governmental record;
Therefore I would reluctantly give the correct answer.

- Jim
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

When I lived in Arlington they charged $50 a year :shock: . I don't recall that question being on the application form. That has been a couple of years so it may have changed though.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

HighVelocity wrote:The police are supposed to operate under the assumption that ALL bg's are armed. KNowing whether the owner of a home has a gun doesn't mean doodly.
I realize that, but bureaucrats don't think that way.

- Jim

CHL/LEO

Post by CHL/LEO »

You could answer, "None of your business". That wouldn't be a false statement but you might not get your permit. :smile:
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

mcub

Post by mcub »

Did you ask the permit department ??? What city are you in??

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Put your guns in your car. Park on the street. Go back inside and answer the question truthfully. Bring guns back inside. :)

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

just plead the 5th on that question. :)

OnTexasTime

Post by OnTexasTime »

I think I would be complaining to the City over the question.

They could be putting you in danger by storing that information in their computer. That information can fall into the wrong hands and provide a shopping list for someone wanting to steal guns.

They might also give that information out over the air (radio) and be providing that information to the wrong people there as well.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

Before everyone get too far into this, we should look at the other side...

Maybe the cops want to know if you own a gun so they don't get shot rushing in. I know if I responded and I knew the owner may be armed I would take a different approach. I would be much more vocal in my announcement of who I was, and why I was there. I would also not just shoot anyone I saw holding a gun if I knew it could be the homeowner...

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

KRM45 wrote:Before everyone get too far into this, we should look at the other side...

Maybe the cops want to know if you own a gun so they don't get shot rushing in. I know if I responded and I knew the owner may be armed I would take a different approach. I would be much more vocal in my announcement of who I was, and why I was there. I would also not just shoot anyone I saw holding a gun if I knew it could be the homeowner...
How can you "know" he "may" be armed? Shouldn't a cop "know" that about everyone? I did.

Police should assume every alarm call will result in a burglary. Every burglar owns a gun. (thats how cops are supposed to think). A cop should NEVER just shoot someone they see holding a gun.

Those forms are designed by people who have no clue. Leave it blank, put NA or whatever. The dispatcher is not going to dispatch "1 Adam 12, the alarm permit indicates that the homeowner owns guns".
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”