Low Priced Shotguns at Academy

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Xander
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Xander »

govnor wrote:I don't think any Academy around here sells guns. None I have been into sell guns at least.
You might want to double check that and make sure...I think you might be surprised. Plano's pretty uptight by Texas standards, but even our Academy stores sell guns.

-Xander

mdek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mdek »

Xander wrote:
govnor wrote:I don't think any Academy around here sells guns. None I have been into sell guns at least.
You might want to double check that and make sure...I think you might be surprised. Plano's pretty uptight by Texas standards, but even our Academy stores sell guns.

-Xander
There's at least one Academy in the Houston area that didn't sell guns the last time I was there. It was strange cause they sold ammo, accessories, and cleaning supplies, just no actual firearms. All the other ones I've been to sell them.

Xander

Post by Xander »

mdek wrote:
Xander wrote:

-Xander
There's at least one Academy in the Houston area that didn't sell guns the last time I was there. It was strange cause they sold ammo, accessories, and cleaning supplies, just no actual firearms. All the other ones I've been to sell them.
Interesting. I wonder why? I wonder if it's something the local stores can choose to do, or if it deals with local regulations that don't allow certain stores to sell guns, or something else entirely.

Trainman

Post by Trainman »

Just a couple of months ago I was in the N. Richland Hills Academy, next door to Huggins, and they sold firearms of all types. The Sports Authority (formerly Oshmans), down the street has removed all traces of their former firearms sales.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

govnor wrote:I don't think any Academy around here sells guns. None I have been into sell guns at least. I was shocked when I went to Academy in Temple with my cousin and saw not only shotguns, but also handguns and assault rifles! He told me that things are a bit less liberal around there. I'd say he's right.
I've asked the good folks at the Galveston store about it, and they told me that it depends a lot on the size of the store. Bigger stores have room for the safes etc. I believe it has a lot to do with the willingness to commit to the paperwork. more than political attitudes.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Posts in topic: 3

Post by 5111 »

Trainman wrote:
Just a couple of months ago I was in the N. Richland Hills Academy, next door to Huggins, and they sold firearms of all types. The Sports Authority (formerly Oshmans), down the street has removed all traces of their former firearms sales.
I've been in that same store and looked at their guns. The one in Arlington also has rifles, handguns, and assault rifles.

govnor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by govnor »

5111 wrote:
Trainman wrote:
I've been in that same store and looked at their guns. The one in Arlington also has rifles, handguns, and assault rifles.
I went to one of the Arlington stores one time and they didn't have any guns. Maybe things have changed? The one in Dallas didn't have any either. Our local Wal-Mart doesn't have guns either. Normally I'll see long guns for sale, but none here. They have ammo, but no guns.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because hard men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

NRA member!

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

5111 wrote: The one in Arlington also has rifles, handguns, and assault rifles.
Assault rifles? Was that aggravated or just simple assault? :roll:

Sorry...I couldn't resist. I just hate it when we fall right in step with the gun grabbers.

Xander

Post by Xander »

Photoman wrote:

Sorry...I couldn't resist. I just hate it when we fall right in step with the gun grabbers.
It's not a gun grabber concoction though. It's actually a term that's as old as the particular class of rifles that it describes. It's a fairly accurate translation of the German Sturmgewehr, (storm rifle) the name of the first mass produced and widely used rifle in the form that we would today associated with the description of an assault rifle.

-Xander

Edit: Several edits to fix grammatical issues that only arise due to my refusal to properly proof-read my posts. :???:

jbenat

Post by jbenat »

govnor wrote:I don't think any Academy around here sells guns. None I have been into sell guns at least. I was shocked when I went to Academy in Temple with my cousin and saw not only shotguns, but also handguns and assault rifles! He told me that things are a bit less liberal around there. I'd say he's right.
The Academy in Lewisville ( Hebron & 35E?) sells guns and all the Plano stores do also.
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I think you guys just couldn't find your way past the racks and racks of clothing to find the guns. :lol:
Charlie

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Swing by the Academy over off 820, they sell firearms.

The Academy near me does as well - Grand Prairie. So does the one in Garland.

rspeir
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rspeir »

Xander wrote:
Photoman wrote:

It's not a gun grabber concoction though. It's actually a term that's as old as the particular class of rifles that it describes. It's a fairly accurate translation of the German Sturmgewehr, (storm rifle) the name of the first mass produced and widely used rifle in the form that we would today associated with the description of an assault rifle.

-Xander

Edit: Several edits to fix grammatical issues that only arise due to my refusal to properly proof-read my posts. :???:
I believe he's objecting to the use of the term, not the term itself. Unless the store is selling selective fire weapons, they aren't assault rifles.

Xander

Post by Xander »

rspeir wrote:
I believe he's objecting to the use of the term, not the term itself. Unless the store is selling selective fire weapons, they aren't assault rifles.
Yeah, that's a good point.

Xander

Post by Xander »

So I wonder...How would one *most* accurately describe rifles such as, say, semi-auto only ARs or AKs? I think I'm going to vote for calling them "assault rifles in sheeple's clothing."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”