"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

16Adams
Posts in topic: 28

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by 16Adams »

16Adams wrote:ause right now, with the 42.01 crap, 5 years ineligibility, there are WAY TO MANY INSIGNIFICANT LAWS which could disqualify someone just because they "irritated the POLICE."

The legislature wrote the law, not the police. Personally I am for constitutional carry at best and at worst an LTC holder should be legal anywhere a peace officer can carry and do away with 06 07 signs.

MöbiusOne
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MöbiusOne »

TeachMan2016 wrote:
MöbiusOne wrote:FINAL TIMELINE:

Application (online): 12/27/15
Fingerprints: 12/30/15
Class: 1/9/16
Documents submitted: 1/9/16
Confirmation email ('START' date): 1/11/16
Status change: 4/2/16
Plastic in hand: 4/11/16

66 work days elapsed total.

I also had to submit a change of address once that option became available on 4/2/16, so that may have contributed to the delay between the status change and plastic in hand. However, I'm glad it does not appear to bump you to the back of the line.

For those keeping score at home, I sent DPS an email mid-February about the address change and another early March asking for a general update. Neither was responded too, and my address was unchanged when my application became accessible on 4/2 (they also managed to enter my phone number in incorrectly, FWIW).

Regardless, I'm glad not to be the only one at work without a LTC anymore, and my PF-9 can finally join me in my boot at the office.
Question for you ModiusOne,

Did the address change on your license once you received it? I'm probably going to have to do what you did since I am moving the first week in May and wont have the same address.
Yes, my licence had the updated address. Keep in mind, I was practically sitting on the website so there was zero time between the status update and me submitting the address change. So it appears the office had time to call the printer and say, "Hold up on that one!."

If I had waited longer, it's possible they would have printed my licence with my old address and mailed it to the new address, since I had done the address change with the USPS. It would theoretically get there a bit sooner, and (someone else check me on this) still be valid if you moved less than 30 days ago, so you could use it while waiting on the new one with your new address.

That way sounds legally ambiguous and more tedious, though, so if your status hasn't changed on the website I'd recommend sitting on that page and submitting the address change as soon as it's an option before they rush it to the printer.

TeachMan2016
Posts in topic: 72

Post by TeachMan2016 »

MöbiusOne wrote:
TeachMan2016 wrote:
MöbiusOne wrote:FINAL TIMELINE:

Application (online): 12/27/15
Fingerprints: 12/30/15
Class: 1/9/16
Documents submitted: 1/9/16
Confirmation email ('START' date): 1/11/16
Status change: 4/2/16
Plastic in hand: 4/11/16

66 work days elapsed total.

I also had to submit a change of address once that option became available on 4/2/16, so that may have contributed to the delay between the status change and plastic in hand. However, I'm glad it does not appear to bump you to the back of the line.

For those keeping score at home, I sent DPS an email mid-February about the address change and another early March asking for a general update. Neither was responded too, and my address was unchanged when my application became accessible on 4/2 (they also managed to enter my phone number in incorrectly, FWIW).

Regardless, I'm glad not to be the only one at work without a LTC anymore, and my PF-9 can finally join me in my boot at the office.
Question for you ModiusOne,

Did the address change on your license once you received it? I'm probably going to have to do what you did since I am moving the first week in May and wont have the same address.
Yes, my licence had the updated address. Keep in mind, I was practically sitting on the website so there was zero time between the status update and me submitting the address change. So it appears the office had time to call the printer and say, "Hold up on that one!."

If I had waited longer, it's possible they would have printed my licence with my old address and mailed it to the new address, since I had done the address change with the USPS. It would theoretically get there a bit sooner, and (someone else check me on this) still be valid if you moved less than 30 days ago, so you could use it while waiting on the new one with your new address.

That way sounds legally ambiguous and more tedious, though, so if your status hasn't changed on the website I'd recommend sitting on that page and submitting the address change as soon as it's an option before they rush it to the printer.

Thanks for answering my question!

TeachMan2016

Post by TeachMan2016 »

The most awful of moments just happened.

I got a call from the DPS for some reason and I am at work and cannot randomly pick up the phone...Here's the kicker they didn't even leave a message. :headscratch

MöbiusOne

Post by MöbiusOne »

TeachMan2016 wrote:The most awful of moments just happened.

I got a call from the DPS for some reason and I am at work and cannot randomly pick up the phone...Here's the kicker they didn't even leave a message. :headscratch
Are you sure this isn't just a recurring nightmare you're having?

JoCannonIV
Posts in topic: 18

Post by JoCannonIV »

Have a positive attitude! They called to say your license has been approved and it is off to the wonderful world of print :woohoo
Last edited by JoCannonIV on Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeachMan2016

Post by TeachMan2016 »

JoCannonIV wrote:

Have a positive attitude! They called to say your license has been approved and it is off to the wonderful word of print :woohoo

They actually called back...I picked up this time. I'm guessing hell is freezing over if they can call back from the DPS within minutes of someone not picking up.

Basically the guy was saying I was not needing to send in anymore information and not to waste my time. Also something about it's going to legal now and they will make a determination.

JoCannonIV
Posts in topic: 18

Post by JoCannonIV »

TeachMan2016 wrote:
JoCannonIV wrote:

Have a positive attitude! They called to say your license has been approved and it is off to the wonderful word of print :woohoo

They actually called back...I picked up this time. I'm guessing heck is freezing over if they can call back from the DPS within minutes of someone not picking up.

Basically the guy was saying I was not needing to send in anymore information and not to waste my time. Also something about it's going to legal now and they will make a determination.
Just got off the phone with RSD, did very little to call. Said that my app has not even made it to background yet. They received everything and confirmed it on 2/16/16. If they go by Calendar days then I am at 58 days, if they go by working days then its 42 days. Not sure what their system is, I can tell you it is not in the order received. So far I have seen some February apps after me processed and even a few March apps. Guess there is nothing more to do than :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: and patiently wait :totap: and wonder :headscratch

texasaggie16
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texasaggie16 »

Just got off the phone with rsd and was told I haven't even been entered in the system yet and it could be awhile before they do, so I haven't even started the back ground check yet. He said it could be until mid summer before I get it and around early may when they start the back ground check. This is ridiculous considering my all in date was 01/31/16. They took that 60 day time-line, crumbled it up, dipped it in gasoline, set it on fire, and then threw it out the window as hard as they could.

meyerch5
Posts in topic: 64

Post by meyerch5 »

texasaggie16 wrote:Just got off the phone with rsd and was told I haven't even been entered in the system yet and it could be awhile before they do, so I haven't even started the back ground check yet. He said it could be until mid summer before I get it and around early may when they start the back ground check. This is ridiculous considering my all in date was 01/31/16. They took that 60 day time-line, crumbled it up, dipped it in gasoline, set it on fire, and then threw it out the window as hard as they could.
wow. that's not cool...

brenlop
Posts in topic: 1

Post by brenlop »

I know a lot of people are upset here but it's worth bearing in mind:

1. These are low level government workers whose primary job is paperwork. They do not, and their supervisors do not, and their supervisor's supervisors do not have any say at all in their staffing levels, how fast stuff gets processed, or likely even the order that things are processed.

2. If stuff takes longer than usual because you have a CRIMINAL BACKGROUND, no matter how long ago it was or how insignificant you personally think it is, these people are doing a GOOD JOB by taking their time and being thorough. You cannot reasonably blame them for taking a long time to approve an application in an already slow system and having to manually cross reference with other equally slow, inefficient systems.

In short - yes, it sucks that applications are taking longer than they posted on their website. But being unfriendly towards people and acting like it's your god-given right to have your application done in less than exactly 60 days is silly. The person I spoke with on the phone when I was having technical problems submitting my application was incredibly friendly, extremely polite and very much wanted to help as much as he could.

They're just people, and they're doing their jobs well. If you have a problem, write to your representatives telling them you want DPS to have better funding to improve both staffing levels and also for improving their systems. Ultimately it is the fault of your representatives, and also your fellow voters, if the DPS service is not up to your expectations.

meyerch5
Posts in topic: 64

Post by meyerch5 »

Lot of assumptions in your post. Most people on this board come here for the camaraderie. we want the best process and accurate information. most of us are not angry (maybe frustrated) or have criminal records.

CaptainShaklaky
Posts in topic: 13

Post by CaptainShaklaky »

My all in date was 2/16/2016. I called once a couple of weeks ago to ensure that no additional documents were needed and to make sure they received everything. I asked aboit an ETA and the guy told me 2-3 months to get me into the system and aboit the same wait for my background check to come through. Needless to say I was disappointed. I thought that surely this was a mistake so I called back last week. I got the same guy on the phone again and he told me that there was no change. Not happy with this answer, I decided to call one more time. I called at about 1pm yesterday and got someone nee on the phone. I told her that i wanted to check to see if they needed additional documents and to get a status update. She said i was approved and that I was being sent to print! She gave me a time window of 7-14 business days until I receive my license! Hope this is true! Checked the website a few minutes ago and no change yet. Hope this means that they are getting caught up!

Nternetxplorer

Post by Nternetxplorer »

Application: 02/17/2016
Fingerprints: 02/24/2016
All-In Confirmation: 02/24/2016
In Hand: TBD

Dblack08
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dblack08 »

CaptainShaklaky wrote:My all in date was 2/16/2016. I called once a couple of weeks ago to ensure that no additional documents were needed and to make sure they received everything. I asked aboit an ETA and the guy told me 2-3 months to get me into the system and aboit the same wait for my background check to come through. Needless to say I was disappointed. I thought that surely this was a mistake so I called back last week. I got the same guy on the phone again and he told me that there was no change. Not happy with this answer, I decided to call one more time. I called at about 1pm yesterday and got someone nee on the phone. I told her that i wanted to check to see if they needed additional documents and to get a status update. She said i was approved and that I was being sent to print! She gave me a time window of 7-14 business days until I receive my license! Hope this is true! Checked the website a few minutes ago and no change yet. Hope this means that they are getting caught up!

That's odd I called and my all in date was a few days after yours and she stated that they haven't even started on February yet

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”