"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

rolson1116
Posts in topic: 5

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by rolson1116 »

rolson1116 wrote:
Gnamaree02 wrote:
rolson1116 wrote:Timeline:
08/15 - Original submission of docs
09/25 - Request for additional documents for a misdemeanor 25 years ago.
09/26 - 11/9 - Mad scramble for said documents from a small town in Nebraska.
11/10 - Uploaded said documents.
01/20 - Called for status and was told it was in background.
02/11 - Impatient and lurking around the Waiting Room.
Seriously? 25year old misdemeanor? Was it a disqualifying one at that?

I was honest on my application and listed the misdemeanor and a felony that was dismissed. I am sure it is the dismissed felony that is giving me fits. I have held a Top Secret clearance in the Army since then and had no problem with that background check.
Got through this morning and spoke with a very nice lady who told me she couldn't understand why I hadn't heard anything. She took my phone # and said she would have the eligibility department give me me a call back.

Bayoutalker
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bayoutalker »

rolson1116 wrote:
rolson1116 wrote:
Gnamaree02 wrote:
rolson1116 wrote:Timeline:
08/15 - Original submission of docs
09/25 - Request for additional documents for a misdemeanor 25 years ago.
09/26 - 11/9 - Mad scramble for said documents from a small town in Nebraska.
11/10 - Uploaded said documents.
01/20 - Called for status and was told it was in background.
02/11 - Impatient and lurking around the Waiting Room.
Seriously? 25year old misdemeanor? Was it a disqualifying one at that?

I was honest on my application and listed the misdemeanor and a felony that was dismissed. I am sure it is the dismissed felony that is giving me fits. I have held a Top Secret clearance in the Army since then and had no problem with that background check.
Got through this morning and spoke with a very nice lady who told me she couldn't understand why I hadn't heard anything. She took my phone # and said she would have the eligibility department give me me a call back.

Did they call you? Never mind I didn't realize you just posted this. Let us know if you hear back please.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

mparks217
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mparks217 »

16Adams wrote:
Mr. Bean wrote:16adams, I get your logic and I fully understand RSD got slammed. Yet a handful of us who were all in between 12/22 and 1/1 and have not heard anything yet while people who submitted their apps well after we did have plastic in hand. As of day 72 they have not begun to look at my app. Why would they process apps out of order, regardless of calendar days or business days? Can you understand that angst?

I'm sorry there is no way for me to guess. But- I'm betting if all your application releases notarys and related paperwork are correct and complete, and you are eligible under the law that you will have your LTC within 60 business days.
I'm at 52 business days and they still have not even started processing my application. I doubt I will receive plastic by next week. Once 60 business days passes, it will be interesting on how they spin that this time. I realize they are severely understaffed. I'm just annoyed.

Mavs00
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Mavs00 »

zimmerdesignz wrote::thewave :woohoo :anamatedbanana :hurry: :biggrinjester:
Website changed today!!!!!! :drool:
Congrats zimmer.... Long time coming. :cheers2: Now that they got they got your "project" out of the way, maybe the entire department can can get to work on some of the other apps. :thumbs2: "rlol" :boxing

zimmerdesignz
Posts in topic: 98

Post by zimmerdesignz »

zencurry wrote:

Zimmer, you have been waiting a long, long time. Congrats and Be Safe!
Thanks
:tiphat:

zencurry

Post by zencurry »

I think one of the issues is that people are assuming that this is a FIFO buffer (FIrst in First Out). The truth is it could be an alphabetic assignment to a particular officer's cue, this officer handles a-g, this officer handles h-k, etc. It could be that each officer just gets a stack of applications (I know and understand that this is supposed to be all computer based, but the analogy holds true in the digital age as well). In any event the following scenario is a possibility:

Say that officer A has a large chunk of applications and is working through them, then officer C stands up and says I finished my stack, who needs help. Then officers A, B, D hand off 10-20 applications to officer C. It is very easy to see how one's own application could stay in the middle of the proverbial stack for some time.

It is not like they can call out and hire a bunch of temps to help them out.

zimmerdesignz

Post by zimmerdesignz »

Mavs00 wrote:
Congrats zimmer.... Long time coming. :cheers2: Now that they got they got your "project" out of the way, maybe the entire department can can get to work on some of the other apps. :thumbs2: "rlol" :boxing
I'm squeaky clean so they had the whole department looking for something LOL

16Adams
Posts in topic: 28

Post by 16Adams »

zimmerdesignz wrote:
Mavs00 wrote:
I'm squeaky clean so they had the whole department looking for something LOL

:rolll

Me too. I was scared Interpol was looking at my prints. But more likely DPS was ashamed to put the same ugly photo on different I'd cards

Mavs00

Post by Mavs00 »

zencurry wrote:I think one of the issues is that people are assuming that this is a FIFO buffer (FIrst in First Out). The truth is it could be an alphabetic assignment to a particular officer's cue, this officer handles a-g, this officer handles h-k, etc. It could be that each officer just gets a stack of applications (I know and understand that this is supposed to be all computer based, but the analogy holds true in the digital age as well). In any event the following scenario is a possibility:

Say that officer A has a large chunk of applications and is working through them, then officer C stands up and says I finished my stack, who needs help. Then officers A, B, D hand off 10-20 applications to officer C. It is very easy to see how one's own application could stay in the middle of the proverbial stack for some time.

It is not like they can call out and hire a bunch of temps to help them out.
I actually understand the fact that they come out piecemeal fashion... It's an involved process, and one that involves various "local" jurisdictions, all with varying levels of responsiveness. IMO, thats a pretty understandable thing. I think most of the frustration I've seen here is the lack of responsiveness, or communication from RSD. I personally, don't have many complaints at this point with the length of time, as I'm only at 53 days total. I'm also new to TX, so I'd expect a bit of a delay there too, even though I have a perfectly clean record. I will say though, if I was at 70+ days, I could totally understand some frustration on the length of time it's taking.

Bottom line, its a "terms and conditions" thing for me.... You pay $140 (unless you are discounted) upfront and provide your credentials as to why to are eligible for LTC, and the codified language indicates that inside of 60 days, ) you'll receive your permit (if eligible), unless there is an issue that needs clarification, at which time, they will notify you and request additional docs. At that time, the clock ups to 180 days. That's the way it supposed to work. I can understand some of that frustration for people waiting a long time, or at least longer then expected. I really don't buy the "business days" crap either. That is an excuse really. We ALL live in the real world and when people mean business days, they say business days. Look at UPS or the post office, whenever you order something, it will say "please allow 3-5 business days for delivery". The RDS website doesn't say business days though, so it's entirely reasonable for people to expect 60 days to mean 60 days. RSD would probably do themselves a favor, by simply putting a "due to a recent high volume of LTC requests, some applications may temporarily take longer as the staff works diligently to...... {yada, yada yada)." message on their website. They definitely could use a little customer service improvement with the peeps that answer the phones. Last week, I called on Monday and a nice lady told me "oh, I see all your stuff came back from BG and your file is in the final approval process and that shouldn't take more then 72 hrs, call back at the end of the week to confirm". So I did. On friday, I got a different person (a gruff, uninterested dude), who matter of factly said "Your stuff hasn't event been looked at yet. call back in 30 days... {click}." :banghead:

I dont' care what kind of business environment, or governmental agency you are dealing with. That kind of customer service really is not acceptable. Personally, I'm completely at their mercy and I'm not the type of person that stresses bout stuff not in my control (such as this process). Sure, I'd like my LTC sooner, but also an very understanding that due to a variety of variables, I may have to wait a bit longer. No worries. One thing I don't like though.... Is to be lied too. That's exactly what one of those service reps did last week, because BOTH could not possibly be right. Be honest, and up front with your consumers. Thats really not TOO much to ask.

As for the different timing of when apps get approved.... I get that. That's the nature of the beast. Just be honest and up front about it. People would grip a lot less that way.

TexasSully
Posts in topic: 17

Post by TexasSully »

Mavs00 wrote: RSD would probably do themselves a favor, by simply putting a "due to a recent high volume of LTC requests, some applications may temporarily take longer as the staff works diligently to...... {yada, yada yada)." message on their website. They definitely could use a little customer service improvement with the peeps that answer the phones. Last week, I called on Monday and a nice lady told me "oh, I see all your stuff came back from BG and your file is in the final approval process and that shouldn't take more then 72 hrs, call back at the end of the week to confirm". So I did. On friday, I got a different person (a gruff, uninterested dude), who matter of factly said "Your stuff hasn't event been looked at yet. call back in 30 days... {click}." :banghead:

I dont' care what kind of business environment, or governmental agency you are dealing with. That kind of customer service really is not acceptable. Personally, I'm completely at their mercy and I'm not the type of person that stresses bout stuff not in my control (such as this process). Sure, I'd like my LTC sooner, but also an very understanding that due to a variety of variables, I may have to wait a bit longer. No worries. One thing I don't like though.... Is to be lied too. That's exactly what one of those service reps did last week, because BOTH could not possibly be right. Be honest, and up front with your consumers. Thats really not TOO much to ask.

As for the different timing of when apps get approved.... I get that. That's the nature of the beast. Just be honest and up front about it. People would grip a lot less that way.
:iagree:

Sparky682
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Sparky682 »

Submitted Application 1/5/2016, DPS Received 1/6/2016
Finger Prints 1/13/2016
LTC Class 1/23/2016 paperwork received on 1/26/2016
Contacted DPS on 3/4/2016 @ 4:30pm > comfirmed receipt of all paperwork. I asked about the 60 Day period, she told me that that was an approximate turn around time and that the time for processing starts once they receive all paperwork. She also told me that they were still working on mid December and expect delays that it would proably be longer than 60 days from 1/26/2016.

I will update upon new information!

4/19/2016 Update: Called RSD today @ 5:45pm Daniel answered after 40 minutes holding. I told him that I thought I was at 90 Days All in and haven't heard anything and was just curious as to my status. Gave DL and he came back with "you haven't heard from us because we don't need anything further from you, your application has been APPROVED!, give it till the end of the week to get it entered in the system, then 10 to 14 Days to receive it in the mail. Ok, not there yet , but I am practicing my Walley Walk! :clapping: :thewave :anamatedbanana :woohoo
Last edited by Sparky682 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexasSully
Posts in topic: 17

Post by TexasSully »

Sparky682 wrote:Submitted Application 1/5/2016, DPS Received 1/6/2016
Finger Prints 1/13/2016
LTC Class 1/23/2016 paperwork received on 1/26/2016
Contacted DPS on 3/4/2016 @ 4:30pm > comfirmed receipt of all paperwork. I asked about the 60 Day period, she told me that that was an approximate turn around time and that the time for processing starts once they receive all paperwork. She also told me that they were still working on mid December and expect delays that it would proably be longer than 60 days from 1/26/2016.

I will update upon new information!
Although I realized it was an exercise in futility, I called to check on my status this evening. After about a 30 minute hold surprise surprise I didn't get Darryl but Daniel. He went through my application timeline told me that my application had not entered into final processing and that it could take 8 weeks after all documents are received. I didn't bother telling him that today was 9 weeks after all my info was in. Looks like my seat in the waiting room is secure for a bit longer.

gary_lankford
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gary_lankford »

gary_lankford wrote:Hey all!

I applied online 12/28 and received confirmation email, fingerprinted 12/30, took the class 1/4 and mailed 1/5, certified, the 3 resulting documents, signed for 1/7.

I've not received any further email, or mail. So far, nothing on the website except the patience message.

Naturally, I'm antsy, but it's not near 60 days yet... I will report back when the license is received.
Received my license today, Mar 8th.
From application: 71 days
From all documentation at DPS: 61 days

I never phoned to check on status, and website still shows nothing for my application.

zimmerdesignz

Post by zimmerdesignz »

Thought the Wally Walk rules would be an appropriate repost for all the new CHL's out there.
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 204#p57597 :rules: :thumbs2:

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 198

Post by GlassG19 »

gary_lankford wrote:
gary_lankford wrote:Hey all!

I applied online 12/28 and received confirmation email, fingerprinted 12/30, took the class 1/4 and mailed 1/5, certified, the 3 resulting documents, signed for 1/7.

I've not received any further email, or mail. So far, nothing on the website except the patience message.

Naturally, I'm antsy, but it's not near 60 days yet... I will report back when the license is received.
Received my license today, Mar 8th.
From application: 71 days
From all documentation at DPS: 61 days

I never phoned to check on status, and website still shows nothing for my application.

Congratulations Gary!
Stay safe...
:txflag:
:anamatedbanana
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”