CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ShepherdTX
Posts in topic: 2

SXSW Weapons Free policy 2016

Post by ShepherdTX »

From http://www.sxsw.com/weapons-free-sxsw-2016
SXSW is a private event and attending Participants are prohibited from carrying weapons of any kind, including concealed or displayed firearms. Participants are not permitted to bring weapons onto the premises of any official SXSW event. SXSW reserves the right to require such Participants to immediately leave the premises of any official SXSW event and deactivate and/or revoke the Credentials of Participants who violate this policy. Participant agrees that this policy is in force, and agrees to comply with this policy, regardless of whether signs prohibiting weapons are posted at the premises of any official SXSW event
Since several venues are city owned or public, Would/could the city be held liable for this with respect to those places?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: SXSW Weapons Free policy 2016

Post by Jusme »

If you click on the link they provide to the City policy, it just re-iterates State law, so unless you will be going into an establishment that is posted, the City cannot enforce this. SXSW from what I understand, requires you to purchase passes to the different events, but I don't think they can prohibit the general public from walking through the public streets, while carrying. They don't have to worry about me that is not an event I where I would be found. :nono:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Rpenn57
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rpenn57 »

I'm sure some of the rules are "legally" unenforceable. But based on previous year's SXSW, one should be more aware of dangerous cars than not being able to carry. That said, I've lived here all my life and never gone to SXSW, Yeah, I'm old.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Rpenn57 wrote:I'm sure some of the rules are "legally" unenforceable. But based on previous year's SXSW, one should be more aware of dangerous cars than not being able to carry.
Beat me to it

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Never been to SxSW, but tempted to go just to spite their unenforceable weapons policy.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

FtwBill

Post by FtwBill »

I used to come down for SXSW and it really was a great time back in the day. Became introduced to some really good unknown bands. . Then it became about money instead of music. It's crowded and expensive now. I'll never go back.

Jazz99

Post by Jazz99 »

I just read that President Obama is opting to attend SXSW instead of Nancy Reagan's funeral. She made arrangements before her death and rumor has it she might not have invited him. :lol:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.2557326

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

As far as I know, this is the first time since SXSW began in 1987 that this is the policy. Thanks OCT.

Guess I will not go this year. That makes 29 in a row that I have missed.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jazz99 wrote:I just read that President Obama is opting to attend SXSW instead of Nancy Reagan's funeral. She made arrangements before her death and rumor has it she might not have invited him. :lol:

I saw that on CNN as well. He cannot attend a Supreme Court Justice's funeral, OR the former First Lady's funeral as well......BUT he CAN attend a rock concert. Says a LOT about his character, or honoring great Americans, doesn't it? :mad5
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

It is in Austin what else would you expect?

ELB

Post by ELB »

Jazz99 wrote:I just read that President Obama is opting to attend SXSW instead of Nancy Reagan's funeral. She made arrangements before her death and rumor has it she might not have invited him. :lol:

The dignity of Mrs. Reagan's funeral is no doubt enhanced by the President's decision.

However, this will make security around SXSW a nightmare while Obama is there. I really doubt that the Secret Service gives a fig about any state's carry laws, if you are in the vicinity and are noticed carrying anything remotely resembling a weapon, even concealed, you can expect a rough time.
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

ELB wrote:

The dignity of Mrs. Reagan's funeral is no doubt enhanced by the President's decision.

However, this will make security around SXSW a nightmare while Obama is there. I really doubt that the Secret Service gives a fig about any state's carry laws, if you are in the vicinity and are noticed carrying anything remotely resembling a weapon, even concealed, you can expect a rough time.

Exactly, this gives BHO a chance to enforce his gun policy in our state capital, while once again disgracing the office. :banghead:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

TSRA Life Memeber

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

eureka40 wrote:Image
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

He just can't help but to poke the bear.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”