University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns on c

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 9

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by sugar land dave »

Guys, I am not a professor. I did not make the posts everyone is using to say that I am at a university. You have me confused with someone else. I am mostly retired hoping to graduate soon to tired, and with a little luck, then to just busy.

While I have certainly not been too shy in this forum about posting opinions appropriate for the forum, I am not upset with anyone and certainly for comments addressed to me about postings which I did not make.

I hope this clears up any confusion. :tiphat:
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by VoiceofReason »

I believe we got lost some time ago as to who said what. :headscratch I believe this thread should be locked by the moderators in the interest of preventing further unjustified hard feelings. :mad5

What say yea?
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 9

Post by sugar land dave »

I really haven't seen the hard feelings, just some confusion. That may be an appropriate emotion for this thread subject. ;-)
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dhoobler »

U. of Texas Dean Says Gun Law Isn’t Only Reason for Move to Penn

http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/u-of- ... enn/109027

When the University of Texas at Austin’s longtime architecture dean announced last week that he planned to take a job at his alma mater, the University of Pennsylvania, and cited Texas’ controversial campus-carry gun law as a reason for the move, news coverage quickly resulted in an oversimplified story, Frederick R. (Fritz) Steiner said in an interview with The Chronicle.

“It was one of the factors among several factors to decide to go back to Penn,” Mr. Steiner said on Monday. “It’s been kind of curious to see the gun thing evolve from a factor to the factor.”

Emphasis original
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by winters »

My mother works for UT. Although she isn't against people having guns and isn't going to go out and criticize her co workers and management. She is decently high up the food chain but isn't going to risk her job over it.

Jazz99
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jazz99 »

Since there is a lot of confusion over quoting previous posts, I won't quote anyone specifically. However, I want to assure you that there are college faculty that support the right to carry and are indeed working on campuses to ensure it is accepted and implemented as efficiently as possible. Just like with every new and controversial issue, forward progress is often made behind the scenes and not in the typical "in your face" squabbles that usually make the news. Ignorance usually speaks louder than intelligence. I believe that is what we are seeing currently.

These stories that make headlines are more about sensationalism and contain little to no actual facts. The presentation by UH and several sentiments from UT liberals are nothing more than elitist power grabs and poor attempts at sound bites. I hope the real work is going on behind the scenes. Personal conversations with colleagues, students, and policy makers and educating others along the way is very important.

For instance, after viewing the UH faculty senate's powerpoint, I brought the subject up with a colleague from another school. For personal reasons, he is now teaching at a local high school after 20 years in higher education. We are both pro-gun. I was discussing the absurdity of their "Arguments" on the last page and thought he would echo my sentiments. When he didn't, I was surprised. Furthermore, he stated that he didn't understand why people should carry on a college campus. Shocked, I exclaimed that while teaching on campus, it is the most vulnerable time of my day. I brought up the issue that gun free zones don't stop criminals, but they lead to helpless victims. He paused, and then said, "I've never thought of it before like that. You make a valid point. I now understand why campus carry is necessary."

One other example. Recently, we had a shooting at a local restaurant. Before one of my classes, I overheard a young lady mention that she was a waitress at that restaurant. I asked if she was working the night of the shooting and she replied affirmative. She then proceeded to tell us about the events. Seeing an interesting conversation unfold, I moved away from the lectern and sat down in one of the chairs. I asked if the restaurant allowed concealed carry (yes they do) and whether or not it would change the policy afterwards. Her answer was no. The policy would stay the same and that her manager (and the customer) both understood how important concealed carry is. Interesting enough, this class is an all female class. It's not designed that way, it just randomly happened. The young ladies then moved into a discussion about CHL/LTC. As the conversation unfolded, I listened and was prepared to answer any questions they had or clear up any misconceptions. They all spoke in favor of carrying. Yes!

Through those types of discussions, progress is made and reinforced. While many faculty choose not to participate in the one sided tar and feathering charades, we are working behind the scenes.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

Jazz99 wrote:Furthermore, he stated that he didn't understand why people should carry on a college campus. Shocked, I exclaimed that while teaching on campus, it is the most vulnerable time of my day. I brought up the issue that gun free zones don't stop criminals, but they lead to helpless victims. He paused, and then said, "I've never thought of it before like that. You make a valid point. I now understand why campus carry is necessary."
It's just amazing how many otherwise educated, professional people don't seem to realize this. They still think a 30.06 sign is going to stop criminals, like the convenience store owner who posted a 30.06 because he didn't want to get robbed. I mean, jeez, would a "no guns" sign have stopped Charles Whitman?
-Ruark

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://blog.archpaper.com/2016/04/danze ... wV2HEdwRPY

New interim dean of UT college of Architecture. No mention if she has a LTC.

I have an architecture professor friend who shoots way better than me. He likes to shoot those expensive 1911's.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I didn't know much about the Dean of Architecture who quit UT because of campus carry.

Now I know a lot more. Here is a house he designed. The poor owners have been trying to sell it since July.

http://swamplot.com/climbing-into-a-tur ... 016-05-23/

It is one of the ugliest expensive homes I have ever seen.

The first photo is a gem.

Good luck selling this house at a profit.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

philip964 wrote:I didn't know much about the Dean of Architecture who quit UT because of campus carry.

Now I know a lot more. Here is a house he designed. The poor owners have been trying to sell it since July.

http://swamplot.com/climbing-into-a-tur ... 016-05-23/

It is one of the ugliest expensive homes I have ever seen. The first photo is a gem. Good luck selling this house at a profit.
No kidding! :ack: That first pic looks like something my grandson would make with his Lego's. :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”