University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns on c

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by Abraham »

I guess not a single anti-gun person has heard of students from a wide variety of schools being shot to death by madmen.

Better to be disarmed than a have a fighting chance of survival?

What wrong with these academic types?

Being dropped on their head when babies?

Cowardice?

Denial?

Assured, even in the face of overwhelming facts they won't arrive in time, the police will swoop in and save the day?

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by Ruark »

Abraham wrote:I guess not a single anti-gun person has heard of students from a wide variety of schools being shot to death by madmen.

Better to be disarmed than a have a fighting chance of survival?

What wrong with these academic types?
A lot of these academic types are geeky nerds who know little of the real world outside of their offices, who have never been near a gun in their lives and know utterly nothing about them. They are in the ranks of the clueless, like the store owner who posted a 30.06 sign so he wouldn't get robbed. Of course, the MDA types swarm around these people like sharks smelling blood.
-Ruark

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JALLEN »

sugar land dave wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:It seems like a bit of a misrepresentation to me though that is just my opinion based on the following link which talks of him joining the University of Pennsylvania in July.:

http://www.thedp.com/article/2016/02/new-design-dean

Some can fool the young and willing journalists, but most of us seasoned folks see through statements of convenience.
The story was dated yesterday and speaks of him becoming Dean this July. It seems to be roughly concurrent with news that he is leaving UT to become Dean in PA. What is misrepresented?
Derive from all the possible permutations of this occurance and perhaps a similar opinion will coalesce for you. I did state that it was my formed opinion and insinuated that journalists and the young might color it a differnet way.
Say what?

I've been reading the English language for ~67 years, very avidly, and for a living, and it is not very often I encounter something I do not understand at all.

Did you misunderstand something I read?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JALLEN »

baldeagle wrote:I'd bet money that U of Penn recruited him for the Dean's position, and he would have taken it whether campus carry passed or not. He came from there, and obviously the Dean position is a step up in pay. I doubt seriously campus carry had anything to do with it, but like any typical liberal, he wants to politicize the situation as much as he can.
He was the Dean of the School here. It's a lateral move at best.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

One thing is clear, the man doesn't know his 'history'.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/category/to ... -shooting/

You would think UT...of all Universities, would be the first to welcome and support armed students and faculty.

I guess August 1st 1966 wasn't lesson enough!

Students and Citizens armed themselves and returned fire. They are the only reason the death toll wasn't higher.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 9

Post by sugar land dave »

koine2002 wrote:There are plenty of sensible professors in many schools who are fine with firearms. I'm one of them. It just seems that when it comes to certain issues, the members of my guild tend to throw our whole approach toward knowledge out the window and turn untested hypotheses into iron-clad laws (academically speaking). Of course I would venture to say that a plurality of us are also certifiable.
In what field? ;-)

PS: Thanks for working to help today's youth become tomorrow's leaders.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

JALLEN wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:It seems like a bit of a misrepresentation to me though that is just my opinion based on the following link which talks of him joining the University of Pennsylvania in July.:

http://www.thedp.com/article/2016/02/new-design-dean

Some can fool the young and willing journalists, but most of us seasoned folks see through statements of convenience.
The story was dated yesterday and speaks of him becoming Dean this July. It seems to be roughly concurrent with news that he is leaving UT to become Dean in PA. What is misrepresented?
Derive from all the possible permutations of this occurance and perhaps a similar opinion will coalesce for you. I did state that it was my formed opinion and insinuated that journalists and the young might color it a differnet way.
Say what?

I've been reading the English language for ~67 years, very avidly, and for a living, and it is not very often I encounter something I do not understand at all.

Did you misunderstand something I read?
My first sentence was just a fancy way of saying that if one looks at the known actions and then thinks about possible reasons for those actions, he might form an opinion from those facts and potential reasons. The second sentence had a short clue to the meaning of the first sentence and ended with my opinion that other people may let career or exuberance influence their feelings about the matter.

I apologize for toying with the English language. It is something I do when I grow tired of the modern perversion of what was once a rather glorious language. Again, that is just my opinion, and everyone is well entitled to disagree with me.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

sugar land dave,

You posted: "it's only the loonies who make the news. There are plenty of sensible professors in many schools who are fine with firearms."

This rather reminds me of the few moderate Muslims insisting, it's only a very small minority of Muslims that are terrorists.

If what you posted is true, why then don't these sensible professors speak the heck up!

It would seem, they don't dare suffer the slings and arrows of voicing pro-gun opinion, i.e., they're a bunch of wimps!

My ire isn't directed at you, but I'm curious about they're lack of stance.

I'm inclined to think if a professor stood in favor of students being armed (or faculty for that matter) it would be in the national news.

What say you?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote:sugar land dave,

You posted: "it's only the loonies who make the news. There are plenty of sensible professors in many schools who are fine with firearms."

This rather reminds me of the few moderate Muslims insisting, it's only a very small minority of Muslims that are terrorists.

If what you posted is true, why then don't these sensible professors speak the heck up!

It would seem, they don't dare suffer the slings and arrows of voicing pro-gun opinion, i.e., they're a bunch of wimps!

My ire isn't directed at you, but I'm curious about they're lack of stance.

I'm inclined to think if a professor stood in favor of students being armed (or faculty for that matter) it would be in the national news.

What say you?

I don't know that Sugarland Dave or any other professor or UT official would be treated as anything but a gun nut by the media if they came in support of campus carry. Especially given the left wing media outlets pervasive in Austin. There is a very large contingent of campus carry advocates in the student population, and they don't receive any air time unless it's in a divisive article criticizing their advocacy.

I applaud Sugarland Dave for his support and the postings giving us an insider view of things, we only get one side of these issues by the proclamations of the UT President, and the resultant left wing spin by the media.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I would think [or at least hope] that the professors at UT and other colleges and universities are there to teach and do their research.
Unless they are outspoken and controversial about some public hot button, their opinions won't be known by the public.
That may be the reason you don't hear or see them in the media. Generally, I would like to keep it that way.
NRA Endowment Member

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

rentz wrote:
DevilDawg wrote:Bye Felica
this has become one of my favorite meme's
Having a 12-yo daughter, I hear this expression a lot. In this case, it is very appropriate.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
rentz wrote:
DevilDawg wrote:Bye Felica
this has become one of my favorite meme's
Having a 12-yo daughter, I here this expression a lot. In this case, it is very appropriate.
Not having a 12 - yo daughter, I had to look it up. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Jusme,

So, these pro-gun academics should lie low because speaking up pro-gun would be too much sacrifice?

I understand that being timid, meek and mild goes a long way to promote the anti-gun agenda.

Spare me your defense of the "Don't Rock The Boat or We'll Suffer Agenda".

You posted: "There is a very large contingent of campus carry advocates in the student population" - so let them carry the water, eh? They have so little to lose, while the pro-gun academics could, gulp, be in hot water... Oh my, my, we can't have that.

Ever consider that if more pro-gun academics spoke up it would greatly help the cause of being pro-self defense? Maybe if there were enough academic voices, it just might tone down the academic anti-gun folks?

As long as these pro-gun academics sit on their hands and let others speak up, while they remain mum, I remain disgusted by their gutlessness.

WildBill,

I would heartily agree if the anti-gun academics kept quiet, but they don't.

They clamor, rage, and rave against pro-gun self defense while the pro-gun academics don't look up from their reading, hoping like crazy they aren't called upon to stand up to the anti-gun zealots.

Therefore, it's incumbent upon the pro-gun academics to get off their duffs, reluctant as they are and speak up, cuz the anti's among them aren't gonna be quiet about their radical opinions.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

I personally know two very talented professors, neither of whom can risk making any of the personal views known, let alone publicly take a pro-gun stance. One has an LTC and has been talking to me about on-body carry but is limited since printing, even a little, is totally unacceptable.

I think the problem goes well beyond ideology. I attended a campus carry "forum" at UT Arlington when the 2013 Legislature was contemplating the bill. A statistics professor was the forum leader and it was clear that he was interested in subservience not an exchange of ideas or information. He was there to tell the students how to think and act. That would have been bad enough but the president spoke and echoed the same mind set. I personally took classes there out of necessity but would certainly make a different choice of institution if I were looking for a degree. I suspect that it is a very hostile environment for anyone not adhering to that thinking.
Last edited by chasfm11 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”