Private U ?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Private U ?

Post by ScottDLS »

nightmare69 wrote:I don't believe they are worried about the general public carrying in dorms or classrooms as other than parents helping their kids move in and out, that would be the only time the public would be allowed in those areas. If they come to visit and stay on campus, they are required to sign a document over the rules and a no firearms rule is included.

To my knowledge, no other private universities are posting signs either. If the law says they have too then I'm sure all those attorneys who represent the private universities all over Texas would have figured that out by now.

We do have an event center that is frequented by the General public and if my uni doesn't wasn't to post signs fine. If someone was spotted carrying I would kindly ask them to put the weapon in their car. The likely hood of someone be outed is slim anyway.
Right, the general public and even the parents could conceal and carry presumably without legal repercussion other than being verbally notified if someone spots them. Students and employees could be fired/expelled, but they wouldn't be able to prosecute them unless the student/employee handbook had the 30.06 language...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Bruin98
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bruin98 »

I wasnt buying into this idea they dont gave to post.

My question still remains: how many signs will have to go up?

Each building? The somewhat main entrances like at a mall?

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

So-called private universities that accept public funding are their own little tyrranies.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Bruin98 wrote:I wasnt buying into this idea they dont gave to post.

My question still remains: how many signs will have to go up?

Each building? The somewhat main entrances like at a mall?
30.06 signs aren't required to be posted at each entrance, like 30.07 signs are.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oohrah »

Hey everybody, please read SB11. Private universities must post 30.06 to prohibit concealed carry on campus, in buildings, or at stadiums. Sure they can put it in the employee rules, and fire me if I violate their rules, but they cannot call LEO and have me arrested, unless they post.

Both public and private institutions will have to post 30.06 to identify the places where concealed carry is not allowed - 411.2031 (d-1), and 46.035 (a-2) and (a-3).
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

oohrah wrote:Hey everybody, please read SB11. Private universities must post 30.06 to prohibit concealed carry on campus, in buildings, or at stadiums. Sure they can put it in the employee rules, and fire me if I violate their rules, but they cannot call LEO and have me arrested, unless they post.

Both public and private institutions will have to post 30.06 to identify the places where concealed carry is not allowed - 411.2031 (d-1), and 46.035 (a-2) and (a-3).
Is verbal or written notification for students and employees not enough? If they know you've received verbal or written notice, I believe they can call the police for violation of 30.06. But, as you said, for the general public they will need to post signs or provide verbal or written notice.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Breny414 wrote:
oohrah wrote:Hey everybody, please read SB11. Private universities must post 30.06 to prohibit concealed carry on campus, in buildings, or at stadiums. Sure they can put it in the employee rules, and fire me if I violate their rules, but they cannot call LEO and have me arrested, unless they post.

Is verbal or written notification for students and employees not enough? If they know you've received verbal or written notice, I believe they can call the police for violation of 30.06. But, as you said, for the general public they will need to post signs or provide verbal or written notice.
Written notification must take the form of a sign or "document" with the 30.06 wording, to be legally effective. If they want to "prove" notification then a sign's the best bet.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jazz99
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jazz99 »

This quote from ACU
The ACU senior administration respects all views on this sometimes divisive topic but felt that maintaining a gun-free campus was in the best interest of the campus community and is thankful to have a 24/7 campus police department available to respond to situations should they arise
Wow. Just wow. Their website shows 14 police officers; a ratio around 321 students per officer. :banghead:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Jazz99 wrote:This quote from ACU
The ACU senior administration respects all views on this sometimes divisive topic but felt that maintaining a gun-free campus was in the best interest of the campus community and is thankful to have a 24/7 campus police department available to respond to situations should they arise
Wow. Just wow. Their website shows 14 police officers; a ratio around 321 students per officer. :banghead:

That is also 14 officers divided by three shifts and a portion of that number being off duty for scheduled days off plus another portion on vacation, sick leave, or off campus for official business. So there actually a much smaller officer/student ratio.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

But how many signs? A mall is effectively posted if it posts the main entrance but not the stores that allow access to the mall.

So how many signs will these private schools have to put up?

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 7

Post by nightmare69 »

Bruin98 wrote:

But how many signs? A mall is effectively posted if it posts the main entrance but not the stores that allow access to the mall.

They don't have to post any.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

nightmare69 wrote:
Bruin98 wrote:

Right, and then you can carry without fear of prosecution. :rules:

casp625

Post by casp625 »

nightmare69 wrote:
Bruin98 wrote:

Right, private universities aren't obligated to post signs come August 1st but have the option to, just like most private businesses have the option to post if they want to restrict carry. :tiphat:

Topic author
Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

SB11 disagrees with those of you saying pricate universities dont have to post.

If you have a cite for your info id like to see it.

SB11 says they have to.

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

Bruin98 wrote:SB11 disagrees with those of you saying pricate universities dont have to post.

If you have a cite for your info id like to see it.

SB11 says they have to.
PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(a-2) Notwithstanding Subsection (a) or Section 46.03(a), a license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on the campus of a private or independent institution of higher education in this state that has established rules, regulations, or other provisions prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns pursuant to Section 411.2031(e), Government Code, or on the grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by such an institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of such an institution, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, provided the institution gives effective notice under Section 30.06.

Note the last sentence, "...effective notice under Section 30.06."

Effective notice under 30.06 can be written (i.e., a sign or document) or verbal. they do not have to post signs.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”