I had an uncomfortable situation last Saturday

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

casp625
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I had an uncomfortable situation last Saturday

Post by casp625 »

imkopaka wrote:
I pulled my shirt up and put my hand on my gun ( I didn't pull it)
Didn't leave the holster, not brandishing.
But it might be considered a justifiable threat of force:
Sec. 9.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE. The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

It's not illegal to use a placard to park as long as the person the placard is assigned to is present and was transported in the vehicle.

It is illegal to use the placard of another to park if that person isn't along on the ride.

Texas is rather generous in granting HC placards. I qualified for one here, being on supplemental oxygen for pulmonary fibrosis, but did not in CA.

I always take HC parking when available rather than the next most convenient spot, so a healthy person can park in that spot who cannot use the HC spot.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

Pawpaw wrote:
WTR wrote:no.....
I get tired of able body folks parking grandma at the first HC spot and then running in themselves..
If she had to walk out to the car.....then I apologize.
Please share with us how you can tell, at a glance, that a person is able-bodied? That is a skill that would make you unique, even among those in the medical profession..

Over the last 20 years, I've been helping various family members that have health issues. Some of them are obvious at a glance, others not so much.

You can't see when someone has a heart condition. While they may look fine walking 20 yards into a store, if you saw them after 200 yards, you might see someone who is struggling to breathe, much less stand or walk. You may not be able to see the pain someone is feeling in their back or joints. Not everyone is trying to get your sympathy.

I know handicapped parking gets abused a lot and that ticks me off too. I've just dealt with enough to know you can't judge a book by it's cover.

That reminds me of a young friend of mine when we were looking for a parking spot. He saw this 4x4 F250 quad cab pickup parked in a handicapped spot, with a placard on the mirror. He says, "I don't think anyone who drives something like that should be allowed to have a handicapped placard."

This young man was very familiar with my parents, their farm with cattle, and their health issues. I looked at him and said, "Then you think my parents should have to sell their cattle and farm, then move somewhere else so they can sell the truck and only drive their car?" His only reply was, "No. I see your point."
When the kid is about 18 and running into Sam's for his grandmother.....that how.....and I do mean running. I cut folks slack as I know people with medical\ issues that are not apparent ( heart condition, MS, Lupus, Arthritis)....getting old is a ***** but some folks abuse the pevilige.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

JALLEN wrote:It's not illegal to use a placard to park as long as the person the placard is assigned to is present and was transported in the vehicle.

It is illegal to use the placard of another to park if that person isn't along on the ride.

Texas is rather generous in granting HC placards. I qualified for one here, being on supplemental oxygen for pulmonary fibrosis, but did not in CA.

I always take HC parking when available rather than the next most convenient spot, so a healthy person can park in that spot who cannot use the HC spot.
That's not what the DMV (TX) told me. Yhe owner of the card must be utilizing the card......not just present.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Richbirdhunter »

WTR wrote:
JALLEN wrote:It's not illegal to use a placard to park as long as the person the placard is assigned to is present and was transported in the vehicle.

That's not what the DMV (TX) told me. Yhe owner of the card must be utilizing the card......not just present.
If they're present aren't they utilizing it?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

casp625
Posts in topic: 3

Post by casp625 »

WTR wrote:

Just looked it up - http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/disabled ... rds-plates
A parking placard or plate is ONLY valid when being used by the person with the disability or someone who is driving the person with the disability.
It is a violation of state law to use the placard or plates for a disabled parking spot without the person with the disability in the vehicle. People who misuse disabled parking placards are subject to fines of up to $1,250 and/or up to 50 hours of community service.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm guessing the homeless guys chose their spot with the intent of finding an easy, handicapped victim.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I'm guessing the homeless guys chose their spot with the intent of finding an easy, handicapped victim.
That's what I was thinking too
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Well, I guess the DVM told me wrong. I guess if you are just driving the person,and you use it, you just are a wuss in my book. I'd save the spot for someone who needs it

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

I see the point they're making. You dropped your MIL at the door and could have just as easily picked her up at the door, thus leaving the space vacant for a handicapped person who was driving themselves. It would have saved your MIL the walk to the car after dinner as well.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Bryanmc wrote:I see the point they're making. You dropped your MIL at the door and could have just as easily picked her up at the door, thus leaving the space vacant for a handicapped person who was driving themselves. It would have saved your MIL the walk to the car after dinner as well.
That's true, since we had never been to San Antonio I wasn't sure where I was going to park I was happy to find a lot less then a block from the restaurant.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

imkopaka wrote:
That's what you say. :roll: (If they called first that is how what you said will be handled)
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

twomillenium wrote:
imkopaka wrote:
That's what you say. :roll: (If they called first that is how what you said will be handled)
It's worth discussing, would the local law enforcement believe 2 local homeless guys over 1 out of town CHL holder?

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

ScooterSissy wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Wall wrote:How was the return trip? Did you report it to the police? Maybe the next guy parking there won't have to deal with the same two guys that way.
I told a couple of the dads what happened and they walked back to the truck with us. No sign of the guys.

I didn't call the police, I probably should have but what would have said? Two homeless guys scared me?
I believe I would have. I'm glad it didn't happen, but let's pretend events eventually unfolded another way.

You scared them off and went on to the restaurant. Then, 20 minutes later two policemen showed up asking to talk to you outside, as two men reported someone matching your description brandishing a firearm at them.

I'm a big believer that the first person to the police are have the most believed story, at least initially.
Yeah, I bet those two homeless guys just stopped and whipped out their iphones and called the cops. :lol:

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

Might be a dumb Question, but is raising your shirt reveling your holstered weapon to stop a threat / potential threat illegal?

Return to “Off-Topic”