Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Anyone Own a Glock 42?

Post by Scott in Houston »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
rentz wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:
rentz wrote:I guess I will be the voice of dissent here, I didn't like it.
It was plenty small and light enough for pocket carry (smaller than my pm9)
But I could not hit the broadside of a barn with it for some reason and it seemed finicky on ammo. I found the trigger while shorter then most glocks was much heavier which I wasn't w fan of

But as far as size for pocket carry, that part was perfect
I've never heard of a Glock that wouldn't eat pretty much all ammo. Interesting.
Yeah I thought it was just me but did some digging and several reported the same thing....but then a lot of people say zero issues
Might have been the early runs who knows
It is my observation that .380 pistols are more prone to being finicky that way than 9mm and up. I'm not saying that they are all unreliable, but I do think you have to spend more effort on finding the load that will work well in any given .380. I've owned two different .380s to date - a Colt Government, and a Kel-Tec P3AT, and both worked better with some loads than others......whereas all of my 9mm and .45ACP pistols will eat whatever you feed them with complete composure. Also, my experience has been that .380 pistols are more susceptible to malfunctions caused by limp-wristing.

This is just my experience, but those factors along with not having as much faith in the caliber itself are why I don't carry one anymore. As always, YMMV.
TAM, I believe a lot of the reason those guns you listed are so finicky, is that in order to make them so small, they have very tight tolerances much like a nice 1911 but without the quality of a very nice 1911. As a result, they fail more often. With the G42 being a bit larger than the typical little .380, and having the typical "Glock Perfection" I was surprised to read this about the G42.

In doing some research, it appears the early 42's had an issue that Glock has since corrected. I've read about magazine and slide stop changes. Hopefully it now performs as a Glock should.

All that being said, I'm now trying to see if I can make the G43 play this role of pocket and BUG. Cheaper, more powerful ammo is the main reason. I have a ton of 9mm ammo and no 380... Not looking forward to stocking up on more expensive 380 ammo!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have successfully pocket carried a XDS-45, so pocket carrying a G43 isn't a big whoop for me. All the same, I prefer having my pockets free for other things, so when I carry my G43, I carry it either IWB in a Mitch Rosen holster at 8:30 (I'm a lefty), or appendix IWB in a custom kydex my son made for me:

My guess is that it would pocket carry little better without the pinky extension.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Scott in Houston

I looked at the G43 today. I had my jeans on so I could check it inside the pockets of smaller, tighter pockets than all my other clothes. It wasn't too bad.
My main concern was, in the jeans, getting caught up on the pinky extension as I took it out.
But in other pants, it would be fine.

I think I'll end up with a G43 now.

The Annoyed Man

Scott in Houston wrote:I looked at the G43 today. I had my jeans on so I could check it inside the pockets of smaller, tighter pockets than all my other clothes. It wasn't too bad.
My main concern was, in the jeans, getting caught up on the pinky extension as I took it out.

You can pocket carry it with the second magazine in place, and keep the pinky-extended mag in reserve.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Scott in Houston

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:I looked at the G43 today. I had my jeans on so I could check it inside the pockets of smaller, tighter pockets than all my other clothes. It wasn't too bad.

You can pocket carry it with the second magazine in place, and keep the pinky-extended mag in reserve.
Oh… I didn't notice. Is the 2nd magazine smaller (sans the pinky extender)?

That would make a huge difference!

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

It pays to know what the manufacturer suggests regarding amunition.

When I bought a P7M8, I shot whatever I happened to have, 115 gr, 124, 125, 147.

One day at the range, it started acting up, feeding issues, extracting, etc. I read in the manual that HK had designed the pistol for 124 gr. I stuck with that thereafter; no more problems.

I did have it go dead one day, no bangs. Some little black doohickey had broken inside. I called, on Monday, Fedex'd it next day air on Tuesday, got a call on Wednesday that it was all fixed, inspected and cleaned, and received it Thursday, next day air. Very impressive!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

My wife is a fan of the 42 and carries one. Trigger is noticeably stiffer than the typical Glock which may pose a challenge for people who wish to shoot the sides of barns. :lol:
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Eric Lamberson wrote:My wife is a fan of the 42 and carries one. Trigger is noticeably stiffer than the typical Glock which may pose a challenge for people who wish to shoot the sides of barns. :lol:
I have yet to have a barn threaten me, so I'm ok with that. :shock:

rentz
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rentz »

Eric Lamberson wrote:My wife is a fan of the 42 and carries one. Trigger is noticeably stiffer than the typical Glock which may pose a challenge for people who wish to shoot the sides of barns. :lol:
Yup that was why I ultimately got rid of it, just couldn't adapt to the trigger so it wouldn't get carry use

Slightly ot here but are the g43 triggers as stiff as the 42?

The Annoyed Man

Scott in Houston wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Oh… I didn't notice. Is the 2nd magazine smaller (sans the pinky extender)?

That would make a huge difference!
Yes, it is. See the pictures I posted above. The mag in the gun has the extension, while the mag in the spare mag holder does not. That's how the magazines come for this gun.

#TINVOWOOT

txblackout

Post by txblackout »

for pocket carry I prefer the kahr cm9. I had a glock 42, switched to the cm9 and now have a glock 43.

The kahr was awesome, I just wanted the same maintenance etc. for my carry and other pistols.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

txblackout wrote:for pocket carry I prefer the kahr cm9. I had a glock 42, switched to the cm9 and now have a glock 43.

The kahr was awesome, I just wanted the same maintenance etc. for my carry and other pistols.
Me too… so, you're pocket carrying the G43 now?

When TAM pointed out that 2nd magazine, I am now leaning to the 43 vs. 42. Yes, it's a little more bulky, but it's still seems like it would be do-able for pocket carry, and for the trade off in 9mm ammo vs. 380, that bulk may be worth it.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I wanted a Glock 42. I took a private lesson and it stove piped everyother round. Did some research and found that it was more than likely the ammo. I ended up getting a XD subcompact 9 mm for the wife and .40 S & W for myself. I added a Glock 23 a few weeks back. I haven't had an issue with any of my guns. I only buy quality U.S ammo, so I need my guns to eat and spit out anything I buy. The only thing that gets to pick and choose in this house are the ones that pay the bills. Good luck, I am sure you will be happy with with your 42.

The Annoyed Man

rentz wrote:
Yup that was why I ultimately got rid of it, just couldn't adapt to the trigger so it wouldn't get carry use

Slightly ot here but are the g43 triggers as stiff as the 42?
I haven't fired a 42, so I couldn't tell you. It is for sure more stiff than on either my G17 or my wife's G19, but it's not stiff enough to bother me. I also own an XDS 45 and a XDM 45. The smaller gun's trigger is for sure stiffer than the larger gun's. I see a theme developing here......

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”