Who's licensed to open carry? The 40 ZIPs in Texas where the most CHL holders live

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Who's licensed to open carry? The 40 ZIPs in Texas where the most CHL holders live

Post by C-dub »

Liberty wrote:I caught this headline this morning on one of my feeds.
"NEWSPAPER PUBLISHES MAP showing thieves which neighborhoods are safest to rob."
Not sure about the rest of my neighborhood, but I'm fairly certain of their odds in this house. :fire
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Liberty

Re: Who's licensed to open carry? The 40 ZIPs in Texas where the most CHL holders live

Post by Liberty »

CHL holders aren't the only ones able to defend their homes.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SA-TX »

Checking in with a proud 8.5% to nearly 12% depending on which population estimate is used with 2511 CHLs. :txflag:

SA-TX

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Steve5115 wrote:6.7% LTCs in my neighborhood (Memorial Park/Rice Military). :anamatedbanana
Awesome! Howdy, neighbor :tiphat: Have you signed up for Seal security?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Mick22

Post by Mick22 »

I wasn't expecting my zip to make number 1 on the list. Although, I was thinking at least top 10.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

Liberty wrote:I caught this headline this morning on one of my feeds.
"NEWSPAPER PUBLISHES MAP showing thieves which neighborhoods are safest to rob."
Not necessarily true. For instance, where I work there may be as many as 50% with LTCs but easily 90%, and maybe even 99%, have guns at home. I have only met one person at work who admits to not owning a gun. My zip code is listed as having only 8 people with LTCs. This number is itself likely misleading because it is a zip code for a country post office where there isn't even a town. A lot of people who live where we do use the county seat zip code in their address....and we get deliveries using both zip codes. The county seat has about 330 LTCs with a town population of about 2500 but I suspect a lot of those people don't actually live in town. The county population is about 20,000.

I live out in the country and everyone of my neighbors has guns and I hear them shooting nearly every day. I doubt very many people in the area live in gun free homes. So if someone looks at those numbers and concludes that in the general area of the zip that has only 8 LTCs they've found a safe neighborhood to rob, they are probably going to be in for a big surprise. In a large urban area the numbers are no doubt different, but in a county like the one I live in I'd guess that even if only 5% or less have LTCs, homes with guns are probably in the 50% to 70% range --and maybe even higher. Those aren't very good odds if you're trying to avoid being shot during a burglary.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Texas Population by zip code. It breaks down the population by age, demographics,
http://www.brainyzip.com/state/zip_texas.html

in my zip code 1 in 15 people over the age of 18 have a LTC

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott in Houston »

My zip is in 5th place! I demand a recount!

It says we have a population of 11,505 which is WAY lower than I expected, but if it's right, the 3,890 LTC's is a whopping 33.8%!!!! :hurry: :anamatedbanana :txflag:

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Scott in Houston wrote:My zip is in 5th place! I demand a recount!

It says we have a population of 11,505 which is WAY lower than I expected, but if it's right, the 3,890 LTC's is a whopping 33.8%!!!! :hurry: :anamatedbanana :txflag:
now send that to stores with posted 30.06 signs and explain to them that LTC holders, as a rule, won't shop there.

Scott in Houston

Tracker wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:My zip is in 5th place! I demand a recount!

now send that to stores with posted 30.06 signs and explain to them that LTC holders, as a rule, won't shop there.

VERY, VERY good point!!!! :txflag:

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

Tracker wrote:Texas Population by zip code. It breaks down the population by age, demographics,

Shows no population in my zip code, so with 8 carriers, we either get a divide by zero error or our carrier percentage is infinity. "rlol"
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Scott in Houston

VMI77 wrote:
Tracker wrote:Texas Population by zip code. It breaks down the population by age, demographics,

Shows no population in my zip code, so with 8 carriers, we either get a divide by zero error or our carrier percentage is infinity. "rlol"
You may have just discovered the nexus of the universe!! :lol:

dru

Post by dru »

According to that list, my zip code has just over 2,000 CHLs in it right now.

According to some demographic data that I got for the zip code, there are

35,009 people, total
26,159 people, 18+ years of age
25,002 people, 21+ years of age

That gives the following CHL figures:

~6% of the entire population has a CHL
~8% of the adult population has a CHL
~8.4% of the 21+ population has a CHL

So roughly between 1 in 11.8 and 1 in 12.5 adults in my zip code has a CHL. Not bad odds, all things considered

Scott in Houston

Ok. My zip has 64K people.
That's more in line with what I would have guessed. I don't know where that "brainy" web site came up with 11K. lol

Anyway, we have about 6% of the population with an LTC. Still not bad but not 33%!

zatoman

Post by zatoman »

My zip in near North Houston has 4.0% licensed. Above average and about where I would have guessed.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”