Which pocket do you carry your wallet in?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 2

Which pocket do you carry your wallet in?

Post by jerry_r60 »

I'm right handed and have always carried my wallet in my right back pocket. I have also been carrying my holster on my right hip. Seeing some recent pictures made me remember a choice I made and thought I'd stick it out here for others.

I realized it might be a good idea to carry my wallet in the opposite side pocket from my holster. This accomplished two things. One, before OC, it prevented me from potentially raising up an over shirt and exposing when pulling out my wallet. The other reason was if I needed to pull out ID. I thought it would be a good idea to not have to reach right beside my gun to pull out my wallet. I know of course I can always tell an officer, "I'm going to reach for my wallet", but I decided it might be the safer thing and keep everyone a bit more comfortable if I just carry my wallet in my other pocket. So, after a lifetime, I'm trying to make a new habit.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Which pocket do you carry your wallet in?

Post by flechero »

I switched pockets... I'm lefty and now carry wallet in R rear pocket. I actually changed when I had shoulder surgery, but saw the advantage while carrying so stuck with it.... it takes a couple months to get used to the change after so many years. ...lol

It does present another option- if you are surprised and held up you can decide to go for the wallet or the gun. And if you have to choose wallet- you aren't going to tip off the gun.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Right front pocket.
I was told by a chiropractor that carrying a wallet in the rear pocket was bad for the back.
The right side was a natural choice for me. Just felt more comfortable.
My choice had nothing to do with strong or weak side concealed carry.
Last edited by WildBill on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

I carry my wallet on my weak side (left), and have for as long as I can remember. Not sure why. But it works out well for LTC.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

jerry_r60 wrote:I'm right handed and have always carried my wallet in my right back pocket. I have also been carrying my holster on my right hip. Seeing some recent pictures made me remember a choice I made and thought I'd stick it out here for others.

I realized it might be a good idea to carry my wallet in the opposite side pocket from my holster. This accomplished two things. One, before OC, it prevented me from potentially raising up an over shirt and exposing when pulling out my wallet. The other reason was if I needed to pull out ID. I thought it would be a good idea to not have to reach right beside my gun to pull out my wallet. I know of course I can always tell an officer, "I'm going to reach for my wallet", but I decided it might be the safer thing and keep everyone a bit more comfortable if I just carry my wallet in my other pocket. So, after a lifetime, I'm trying to make a new habit.
Since I began carrying one, I have habitually carried my wallet on my weak side. Serendipitous how that worked out for carrying my pistol on my strong side. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

loktite

Post by loktite »

Like oljames3, I also carried wallet on weak side, had my wallet in left rear. However, now most of my shorts and pants have cargo pockets, so usually wallet goes left cargo pocket. Works out better, left rear is usually somewhat blocked by magazine pouch now :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

WildBill wrote:Right front pocket.
I was told by a chiropractor that carrying a wallet in the rear pocket was bad for the back.
The right side was a natural choice for me. Just felt more comfortable.
My choice had nothing to do with strong or weak side concealed carry.
:iagree:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Throwdown or regular?

:biggrinjester:
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I moved my wallet to my weak side when I started carrying.

I also started carrying a money clip in my front pocket. It has a space for my ID. So i keep my DL and LTC in the money clip in my front weak side pocket.

spolct

Post by spolct »

switched to a slim wallet in the front weak side pocket years ago. also, about a year ago I switched from 4:00 IWB to 1:30 IWB. I guess I just don't like extra stuff on my backside...

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Wallet in weak side rear pocket all my life. Sure made it convenient when I started carrying
NRA Life Member

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

flechero wrote:I switched pockets... I'm lefty and now carry wallet in R rear pocket. I actually changed when I had shoulder surgery, but saw the advantage while carrying so stuck with it.... it takes a couple months to get used to the change after so many years. ...lol

It does present another option- if you are surprised and held up you can decide to go for the wallet or the gun. And if you have to choose wallet- you aren't going to tip off the gun.
This also makes it easier to pull out and toss the wallet as a distraction with the weak hand while drawing.

bayou

Post by bayou »

After a year of my brother pestering me I switched to using a money clip instead of a wallet in the front pocket. It made all the difference in the world for my bad back. The money clip is so small no one notices it and would not be suspicious if I were to draw from a holster at the 4:00 position.

stars200

Post by stars200 »

I carry a front pocket wallet. I prefer in the right front since I carry an extra mag holstered in my left front pocket. However, I also have a pocket pistol. If I am carrying my pocket pistol my wallet goes to my left front with the extra mag.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I started carrying my wallet in my left pocket as a LEO (I'm a righty) they drilled it into us to always keep your gun hand free. I never changed back and now with my LTC it wasn't an issue. I also carry keys, pocket knife etc on the left side, just a habit for the past 25 years.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”