Who has been approached at a gas station with someone begging for money?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Who has been approached at a gas station with someone begging for money?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JRG wrote:These beggar types are all over Tucson. Pull up for gas anywhere and I will be pestered for money by at least one and sometimes 2 or 3 within minutes. I want to give them a $5 McDonald's card but with what you guys have said in the previous replies, makes that a no go also since they really do not want food.

Joe
A guy in Tucson approaches me while I'm pumping gas, sees my Texas plates, and tells me he's from Texas too, and us Texans have to stick together, right? I stopped him right there and told him I don't carry cash. He lost interest in our common interests and wandered off.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

dru
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dru »

I have been approached several times at gas stations and fast food restaurants. My rule is to never give money but to help otherwise. Most times when it is clear that they aren't getting money they leave. However a few really did want/need gas/food or what have you.

My most memorable story is when I lived in OKC, this clearly alcoholic middle aged guy approaches me with a sob story about needing money for gas so he can get to a hospital in Norman to see his dad who had a stroke (about 45 minutes away). I offered to fill up his car for him. But he didn't want to trouble me with that because his car was a block over (???). I offer to buy a gas can at the gas station we were parked in so that he could at least get enough gas to put in his car without "troubling" me. But no, that wouldn't work either (it might not be enough gas, after all) I offer to call a cab, and prepay his ride to the hospital but no he couldn't accept such generosity. I literally offer to drive him there myself...just drop everything and go. But no, he would be stuck down there with no way of getting back to okc. And about that time I guess he decided that he should go con someone else because he then hurried away belly aching that he needed to see his pops.

I turn around and one of the regulars at the gas station is laughing and said that guy was a known panhandler and that was his default story. I figured as much but on the off chance that he was sincere I was going to do whatever I could to help him. I have had enough people accept help that I try to keep an ear open for them while still trying to weed out the crap
Last edited by dru on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
fast86gn wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:I've never been approached in Texas but in Commiefornia it happened a lot. I would never give money but if they said they were hungry I'd offer to feed them. It's nice to have a captive audience while offering them the plan of salvation!

A few years ago my wife bought McDonalds for a guy (against my wishes) that was on the street corner with a sign that read "Hungry please help" After she gave it to him I got her to stop across the street and watch... after a few minutes he tossed it in the trash can there in the medium. Needless to say she doesn't do that anymore.
He was holding out for Whataburger.
Nah! He was holding out for In 'N Out. :mrgreen:

:leaving

I was counting on that comment coming.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Richbirdhunter »

mojo84 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
fast86gn wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:I've never been approached in Texas but in Commiefornia it happened a lot. I would never give money but if they said they were hungry I'd offer to feed them. It's nice to have a captive audience while offering them the plan of salvation!

A few years ago my wife bought McDonalds for a guy (against my wishes) that was on the street corner with a sign that read "Hungry please help" After she gave it to him I got her to stop across the street and watch... after a few minutes he tossed it in the trash can there in the medium. Needless to say she doesn't do that anymore.

TAM, let's take Mojo out to lunch
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

doncb

Post by doncb »

I get approached at the gas station I usually fill up at 3 or 4 times a year and in store parking lots a few more. The ones that bother me the most are the ones that get real close. Same sob story from all of them. Now that I have my LTC I don't get out of the car without my gun. I also never stand still looking at the pump like you see so many people do. I am always turning and watching what is around me. Nothing obvious like I'm looking for something but enough that maybe I don't look like I can be sneaked up on. I wish things weren't to the point where you feel like everybody is trying to pull a scam. I'd like to help but I'm not going to throw my money away.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

"the social engineers are everywhere"

Few of us here speak PC.

They're not "social engineers"

They are Con men/Criminals

Tracker
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tracker »

thatguyoverthere wrote:
So I said this is how you can repay me: when you get the money that you would use to pay me back, take that cash and go to the church of your choice and drop that cash in the offering plate, and we'll call our deal done!
I have a friend who is Baptist deacon and he tells me the churches keep a computer notification of panhandlers coming to the church. They will start at OKC and work all the churches down to DFW

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
fast86gn wrote:

TAM, let's take Mojo out to lunch
:thumbs2:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 6

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
JRG wrote:These beggar types are all over Tucson. Pull up for gas anywhere and I will be pestered for money by at least one and sometimes 2 or 3 within minutes. I want to give them a $5 McDonald's card but with what you guys have said in the previous replies, makes that a no go also since they really do not want food.

Joe
A guy in Tucson approaches me while I'm pumping gas, sees my Texas plates, and tells me he's from Texas too, and us Texans have to stick together, right? I stopped him right there and told him I don't carry cash. He lost interest in our common interests and wandered off.
A guy in Florida approached me at a gas pump many years ago. He said I saw your Texas plates and that your car came from a dealer in Brownsville...I'm from the RGV and my parents live there. Oh, I say...what does your dad do? He works for XXX. I work for XXX too....what office does he work in? He works at the XXX XXXXXX office. Really, what's his name? His name is XXXXX. Well, I not only know your dad, he is in the office right next to mine and we work together on various projects. I ask him....what brings you to Florida? I'm going to a job interview in Tampa.

Still at the same gas station, my wife goes into the office to pay (this was many moons ago), and I see some guy (a different guy) chatting her up. She gets back to the car and I ask what that was about. Oh, he saw our Texas plates and that the car was purchased in Brownsville and asked if we were from the RGV....I said we were and that my husband went to HS in Port Isabel. He said he went to HS in Port Isabel. He said he didn't think you knew him but he was a freshman when you were a senior.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

VMI77 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Joe
A guy in Florida approached me at a gas pump many years ago. He said I saw your Texas plates and that your car came from a dealer in Brownsville...I'm from the RGV and my parents live there. Oh, I say...what does your dad do? He works for XXX. I work for XXX too....what office does he work in? He works at the XXX XXXXXX office. Really, what's his name? His name is XXXXX. Well, I not only know your dad, he is in the office right next to mine and we work together on various projects. I ask him....what brings you to Florida? I'm going to a job interview in Tampa.

Still at the same gas station, my wife goes into the office to pay (this was many moons ago), and I see some guy (a different guy) chatting her up. She gets back to the car and I ask what that was about. Oh, he saw our Texas plates and that the car was purchased in Brownsville and asked if we were from the RGV....I said we were and that my husband went to HS in Port Isabel. He said he went to HS in Port Isabel. He said he didn't think you knew him but he was a freshman when you were a senior.
A good con is an acquired skill. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Joe

A good con is an acquired skill. :mrgreen:
I actually got the sequence of events out of order in the second paragraph. He actually volunteered first that he went to HS in Port Isabel and my wife told him I went there too.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

BeanCounter

Post by BeanCounter »

I was helping my brother with a “we need it installed, tested and running by morning” rush job in downtown Dallas. We finished up around 3:45am and as luck would have it both of our trucks were low on fuel. So, we pulled into the neighborHood convenience store and as we are fueling the trucks I hear my dear beloved big brother say and I quote “I don’t have any…..he’s got all the money!!!”

The guy makes a right turn and quickly closes in on my truck. Then he stopped, playfully raised his hands and says “don’t shoot be bro’” and leaves.

For the record I did not draw or make any movement at all from my modified weaver gas pumping stance. But I think the look on my face scared the guy off. The look was directed at my brother!
TSRA Life Member

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

When I lived in Lousiana, before coming to my senses and moving to the hill country, there were lots of beggars in Baton Rouge. My exe and I decided to start keeping fruit in the vehicle with us. If we saw someone with the Will work for Food, or I'm Hungry signs we'd give them a piece of fruit.

I gave a guy the jacket I was wearing once... But he was pan handling in freezing weather with only a tee shirt and jeans. I saw the guy a few more times around town after that, still wearing the jacket.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

VMI77 wrote:
I actually got the sequence of events out of order in the second paragraph. He actually volunteered first that he went to HS in Port Isabel and my wife told him I went there too.
It is not really uncommon to run across people half-way around the globe who know someone you know or is related to someone you know. I have frequently had that happen.

One small example was the first time I ever went to Dallas (was living in Missouri at the time). A group of us went into a western store in a mall to look at some boots. When the store clerk asked where we were all from, one guys says 'Minnesota', another says 'Kansas', and one of the other guys says the little city and state in Missouri. She says 'I know where that is'. I tell here the town where I am from and she says 'So am I!'. She told me her name, and I said 'Well, I know your little sister and your parents. I am Keith Bxxxx'. She says 'I know your Mom; she was my girl scout troop leader.'

Another time in Germany I ended up sitting beside my best friends cousin while riding on a train between Kaiserslautern and Frankfurt.

Just recently I was looking on Facebook and realized my wife's cousin from Florida was on the same river cruise in France with really good friends of mine from Dallas. They didn't know each other, but I told them both to look each other up at dinner. They were sitting at tables next to each other on the cruise.

So, Six Degrees of Separation is a pretty real thing. But you can quickly break down when someone it trying to scam you by doing just a little review and know they are not telling the truth.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Keith B wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
It is not really uncommon to run across people half-way around the globe who know someone you know or is related to someone you know. I have frequently had that happen.

One small example was the first time I ever went to Dallas (was living in Missouri at the time). A group of us went into a western store in a mall to look at some boots. When the store clerk asked where we were all from, one guys says 'Minnesota', another says 'Kansas', and one of the other guys says the little city and state in Missouri. She says 'I know where that is'. I tell here the town where I am from and she says 'So am I!'. She told me her name, and I said 'Well, I know your little sister and your parents. I am Keith Bxxxx'. She says 'I know your Mom; she was my girl scout troop leader.'

Another time in Germany I ended up sitting beside my best friends cousin while riding on a train between Kaiserslautern and Frankfurt.

Just recently I was looking on Facebook and realized my wife's cousin from Florida was on the same river cruise in France with really good friends of mine from Dallas. They didn't know each other, but I told them both to look each other up at dinner. They were sitting at tables next to each other on the cruise.

So, Six Degrees of Separation is a pretty real thing. But you can quickly break down when someone it trying to scam you by doing just a little review and know they are not telling the truth.
The gas station event was the fewest degrees of separation I've experienced on a trip. Closest we ever got in Europe was seeing someone from home had signed one register or another before us. We did run into a group from home one evening in West Texas when we stopped to view the Martha lights.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”