First AR: Need input on a build

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Nuts
Posts in topic: 2

Re: First AR: Need input on a build

Post by Nuts »

Unocat wrote:I would be interested in any reports on Radical as well. They seem well priced, but I am curious if anyone has experience with their quality, I was thinking about doing a 7.62x39 build,

I built my first AR in 7.62x39 in December using a radical firearms upper I got from primary arms in pearland. Got 300 rounds of tulla and monarch steel case ammo thru it without any problems and I am impressed with its accuracy so far.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I like my BCM upper in 1:7 twist.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

comp73
Posts in topic: 1

Post by comp73 »

+1 for BCM.

Especially when you consider that for an extra $70, you get a BCG and Gunfighter charging handle.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LSUTiger »

AR 15
After owning several AR's in various configurations and building one myself I can say that I would rather own one first and learn the how basic gun operates and the pieces fit first hand. Youtube videos are plentiful and extremely helpful, especially if you already have one to learn from.

I would consider the tools needed and what you are trying to accomplish. If you want a stock AR, off the shelf is for you, if you want lots of customization then maybe build is the way to go. You might be able to find all the "custom" things you want in an off the shelf gun or close enough to make it worth getting and modifying small things.

Knowing how much you are willing to spend, what you want, what you want it for and what options are out there are key to your satisfaction.

IMHO
Things every AR-15 should have:
5.56 Nato 1/7 twist chrome lined
Optics
BUIS
2 point Sling/QD sling adaptors
Weapon Mounted Light ( w remote pressure switch option)
M16 BCG
H2 Buffer

Optional:
CHF Barrel
VFG or AFG
Upgraded stock/grip can make a big difference in comfort but is not necessary
I like mid length gas system, free floated barrels and quad picatinny rails
Tactical Charge handles are nice
rail covers
2 stage trigger, all I ever had was stock single stage and I do just fine.

Keep in mind that some money is better spent on some gun upgrades than others. Some money will be better spent on AMMO and magazines.

Unfortunately you probably won't get it perfect on the first go round. And as you shoot other guns and see other things you will likely acquire another and another and...........

I don't know too many people who have just one AR.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I really appreciate the different tips on the twist ratio for barrels. I'm retiring at the end of February and I plan on having a friend of mine put together an AR for me, hopefully with me learning as much as possible. I really love this forum and thank you all for being there when anyone asks questions. I may be asking a few more before its over. Thanks again for the advice.
Larry D. Price

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”