As reported in the Freestone County Times 1/13/2016 ( Fairfield Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dusty Rivers
Posts in topic: 3

As reported in the Freestone County Times 1/13/2016 ( Fairfield Texas

Post by Dusty Rivers »

As reported in the Freestone County Times 1/13/2016 ( Fairfield Texas) "Safety Supercedes (as spelled by the paper) Lawsuit Risk This is what I think we need to do stated county commissioner Craig Oakes of Pct 2, as the county voted to ban guns ( concealed or otherwise) from all county property and buildings" This vote appeared to be in spite of the recommendations of County Attorney Chris Martin who presented a proposal to only ban in the areas housing courtrooms and court records. Mr. Martin's proposal was" based on recent opinions handed down by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton".

However Mr. Oakes and others unnamed appear to have chose to ignore the recommendations.

OC and CC proponents are now being pitted against each other as the CC proponents are now blaming the OC proponents of getting CC banned as well as a result of OC passing in Texas. and now we have small county commissioners able to circumvent the government of Texas and ignore the law as it was intended. Lets keep all those finger printed, investigated, trained, permit holders in check, after all safety supersedes lawsuit risk??????????????? I am beyond upset- in Texas! Let them not divide us. The law has passed OC and CC are here. No point in dewelling on how we got here. Lets just continue to work to make it better. I hope someone files al law suit against Freestone County and Mr. Oakes gets to defend his quote as stated in the public newspaper.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: As reported in the Freestone County Times 1/13/2016 ( Fairfield Texas

Post by Jago668 »

Dusty Rivers wrote:As reported in the Freestone County Times 1/13/2016 ( Fairfield Texas) "Safety Supercedes (as spelled by the paper) Lawsuit Risk This is what I think we need to do stated county commissioner Craig Oakes of Pct 2, as the county voted to ban guns ( concealed or otherwise) from all county property and buildings" This vote appeared to be in spite of the recommendations of County Attorney Chris Martin who presented a proposal to only ban in the areas housing courtrooms and court records. Mr. Martin's proposal was" based on recent opinions handed down by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton".

However Mr. Oakes and others unnamed appear to have chose to ignore the recommendations.

OC and CC proponents are now being pitted against each other as the CC proponents are now blaming the OC proponents of getting CC banned as well as a result of OC passing in Texas. and now we have small county commissioners able to circumvent the government of Texas and ignore the law as it was intended. Lets keep all those finger printed, investigated, trained, permit holders in check, after all safety supersedes lawsuit risk??????????????? I am beyond upset- in Texas! Let them not divide us. The law has passed OC and CC are here. No point in dewelling on how we got here. Lets just continue to work to make it better. I hope someone files al law suit against Freestone County and Mr. Oakes gets to defend his quote as stated in the public newspaper.
I'm from that area, sad to see. Hope they enjoy the lawsuit and fines.
NRA Benefactor Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Someone needs to photograph a 30.06 sign, send the required notice to county commissioners, then file an AG complaint when the signs don't come down.

It's a simple process.
Chas.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The county is in violation of the law and subject to large fines. Read this thread and follow the directions - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77921

Maybe the OC and CC folks in your county might like to familiarize themselves with the law? It's illegal for a government to post signs except for courtrooms and court office buildings, and there are large fines for every DAY the county is in violation. Report it, following the instructions, and I guarantee you the signs will come down, no matter what the commissioners want.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Agreed. Who lives up there who is willing to go take pictures of the signs when they are posted and send in the complaint?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Topic author
Dusty Rivers

Post by Dusty Rivers »

I will do it, I see the forms are posted. Thanks team. :txflag:

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Dusty Rivers wrote:I will do it, I see the forms are posted. Thanks team. :txflag:
Great, keep us posted :clapping:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I live in the general area and had a nice chat with the County Judge's office. When I asked if they knew the signs did not apply to the general public, they were surprised.

The signs do nothing to increase safety and put the county at risk for fines. There is no risk involved with taking the signs down, and in fact reduces the county's liabilities.

I'm pretty sure those signs will come down. Fortunately, the Freestone County commissioners will still be able to protect themselves from their obsessions. I'm sure the Reynolds corporation will keep them well supplied with what they need for protective headgear. :biggrinjester:

NTexCopRetired

Post by NTexCopRetired »

Wichita, Clay and Archer County have taken a similar stance to Freestone and others. They believe they can exclude the entire building because there are court rooms. These counties, according to local news, are posting their buildings. Is this something being advocated by the Texas Associations of Counties (TAC)? Seems strange they are all using the same talking points.

Also, I saw a bulletin recently published by an Austin based law firm that handles school law. They were discussing the AG opinion on OC/CC on school premises and when students are in a parking lot, etc. A quote that struck me as odd, especially coming from a law firm, was "it is now illegal to post a sign saying you can't legally carry a weapon where it is legal, thanks to a draconian law passed by the legislature" (and that may be somewhat of a paraphrase. A law firm is appalled that posting a sign saying it was illegal to do something that was legal would be illegal. :confused5

Topic author
Dusty Rivers

Post by Dusty Rivers »

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... ur9xh9vPnw

check the above link to a Greg Abbot Memo It is quite clear multi purpose government buildings cannot be posted with 30 06 signs. Not sure about the 30 07 though.

do a search on Tex. Gov’t Code §411.209and you will find several PDF files with official opinions on government building postings. :rules:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”