Concealed/Open Carry Evangelism.......

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Concealed/Open Carry Evangelism.......

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JALLEN wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: I have spoken fluent French pretty much all my life. My mom is French, and I lived in France for a time.....went to school in Paris as a boy. My mom still owns an apartment in Paris, and recently sold an old farmhouse in the Charentes region. You daughter is correct. :mrgreen:
Where in the Charente, if I may drift a bit?

My favorite wife is from the Charente-Maritime, près Niort, and is on her way there now for her mom's 90th birthday.

I've spent many happy hours in that area, inflicting those poor sufferers with my French, and drinking my father-in-laws excellent wines. My wife says I speak French like I was born in Houston.
Her house was in a hamlet called La Pouillerie, near the town of Roumaziere, which is NE of Angouleme.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by canvasbck »

You sir, are a true ambassador :tiphat:
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: I have spoken fluent French pretty much all my life. My mom is French, and I lived in France for a time.....went to school in Paris as a boy. My mom still owns an apartment in Paris, and recently sold an old farmhouse in the Charentes region. You daughter is correct. :mrgreen:
Where in the Charente, if I may drift a bit?

My favorite wife is from the Charente-Maritime, près Niort, and is on her way there now for her mom's 90th birthday.

I've spent many happy hours in that area, inflicting those poor sufferers with my French, and drinking my father-in-laws excellent wines. My wife says I speak French like I was born in Houston.
Her house was in a hamlet called La Pouillerie, near the town of Roumaziere, which is NE of Angouleme.
Very pretty country around there.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

stingeragent
Banned

Post by stingeragent »

Nice job. I've tried to have conversations with anti-gun folks in the past but they are never open minded like this lady was. I just mention the word gun and you can see steam coming out their ears.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Awesome job. We need a lot more of this. I'm looking forward to reading the follow up when you move her into the armed category. She has friends and family so it doesn't really end with her alone. Great story!
III

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

TAM,

Very nice conversation. I use the spare tire in your car analogy, but I think the fire extinguisher is better.

I am a picture kind of guy and didn't realize it was you as you had changed your avatar. Still hard to see your face. :shock:

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I read your first post TAM, but not the other two pages of comments -- I hope I didnt miss anything. I'm at work and dont want to blow too much time on the form :rolll
But, that was a great coversation you had with her. This is a great example to all of us on how to approach people who may not know the facts and speak logically and respectfully to them. Hats off :tiphat:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

This is how we can win hearts and minds. Not with fear mongering like the antis do, but with actual discussion, addressing the concerns of someone.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

mojo84 wrote:You blew it TAM. When the subject came up you should have ran out to your vehicle, put your OCT muscle shirt with the Gonzales flag on the the back, strapped on your ar15 and drop leg holster and gone back in to finish getting your glasses fitted. That's how you educate folks and get them comfortable with guns.
That's the way I do it! :biggrinjester:

But seriously, I do the same, preaching the word to those who will listen, "empowering" them to get past all the anti-gun propaganda they've been exposed too and sometimes to the one's who need to be corrected when they spew ignorance and lies.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

TAM, this story marks you as an embodiment of the term Statesman as was called for in another thread. Well done!
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RHenriksen wrote:Great job! Not in any way a criticism, but to update you - constitutional carry states now include:

Alaska
Arizona
Vermont
Wyoming
Maine (as of 2015)
Kansas (as of 2015)
I didn't know about Main, but I did know about the others. I limited my examples for her to Arizona and Vermont for two reasons.... one was because they are a conservative and a liberal state, and the other because one offers a license to its residents if they want one (AZ), but not the other (VT), and then explained how that negatively affected VT residents if they wanted to travel to Texas and carry a firearm here......unless they had procured a non-resident license from another state. I did tell her there were other open carry and constitutional carry states.

I wasn't trying to teach her everything about the gun world, but just to show her that she didn't have to fear people open carrying in Texas.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

Here's a little low-key promotion (see if you can spot it in the video):

http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/20 ... /78713086/
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”