Concealed/Open Carry Evangelism.......

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Concealed/Open Carry Evangelism.......

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just got home a little bit ago from the local Tarjay (Colleyville, on Glade between Heritage and 121) after ordering new eyeglasses. While there, I had a real interesting conversation with the young woman who was helping me pick out the frames, etc. I say "young" meaning she was in her 30s.

We were just chatting while she was fitting the frames on my face, and I asked her if she had seen anyone open-carrying in the store yet. She said no, but that she would be a little freaked out if she did see one. That opened the door for a conversation about her fears, open carry, concealed carry, crime stats for licensed carriers, etc., etc. It was a productive conversation. She wasn't "anti-gun" in the political/legal sense, but she was one of these people who is simply afraid of guns. We talked a bit about gun-tragedy horror stories, and I told her a couple of mine, and reassured her that I get it about people being afraid and understand it. She agreed that, if given an opportunity to learn more about guns in a controlled and safe environment, she would probably get over her fears, that the fear is mostly fear of the unknown. She told me that she didn't have any personal horror story about guns, but just that she was afraid of them, and she agreed that if she had the opportunity to learn more, she would not only feel better about guns, but that she thought it would be empowering for her. (She chose that word "empowerment".)

I immediately played up the empowerment angle.......which isn't really an angle for me as I really believe in it. I preach empowerment to women all the time as a reason for why they should learn to shoot. Earlier in the conversation she had mentioned an "ex" husband, and I asked her if she was still single, which she said she is. I said, hey, you're a young attractive woman, living alone, you should be empowered to protect yourself. We talked about her finding an NRA Basic Pistol instructor in the area (and dropped the hint that I am one) so that she could get more familiar with guns and shooting and be less afraid of it. And she agreed that it would be a good idea for her to do that, and then get a gun for her self-protection.

We talked about living in fear of something, and how a gun is just a tool. I asked her if she had a fire extinguisher in her kitchen, and she said yes. And I said, "but you don't live in fear of a kitchen fire do you?" She said no, and she agreed with me that having a fire extinguisher was simply a precaution, and having taken care of the precaution, she didn't have to worry about it. Then I drew the comparison between the fire extinguisher and carrying a gun, and I could see the lights start to come on. I reiterated that one of the best ways to dispel an unwarranted fear so that you don't have to live with that fear is to familiarize yourself with the object of your fear so that it is no longer an unknown. Every time the subject of fear came up, I brought the conversation back to the idea of taking an NRA Basic Pistol class as the best way to dispel that fear.

We also talked about the kind of people who carry, and whether or not licensing was a good or bad thing. I said that I would eventually like to see licensing go away, but that I could understand the arguments in favor of licensing, and that if that's what it would take for others to be comfortable with the idea of people carrying a firearm, I could be comfortable with it for now. (I told her that Arizona and Vermont don't require a license at all, and yet their streets are not running with blood, and that surprised her.) I told her about how much background checking goes into obtaining the license, and how actually, licensed carriers are the people she should be encouraged to have around her. I told her about the DPS page where she could download the stats for herself to see how much lower crime statistics are for licensed carriers than for the general population. When she asked how that could be, I said, "its simple..... we are the GOOD guys", and told her about all the things that would disqualify someone from being licensed, and when you disqualify people for those reasons, you're left with good guys. I described how licensed carriers are the kind of people who would come to her aid if one of us saw her being harassed in a parking lot by a couple of thugs, or would pull over and help her change a flat tire late at night, etc., etc., and that we are exactly the kind of people she should want to surround herself with. I told her my wife and daughter-in-law both carry, and that a couple of the women in my lifegroup carry. She was surprised at the idea of women who carry, even a little amused by it. I asked her, "when I walked in here before we stated talking, would you have picked me out for someone who carries a gun?" She said no, and I said "well a LOT of us are old-grampa looking guys like me.......just regular folks".

I also said, "think about it this way........ the people you will see open-carrying in the future have been concealed carrying all along. They were there all along, with a gun, and nothing bad happened. The only difference when you see someone open-carrying is that you learned something you previously didn't know about that person. She said, but how do I know if someone open-carrying is licensed? I said, "Lets say I had walked in here open-carrying and sat down at this chair with my back to all the people walking past in the Target, at least some of them would probably notice my gun, right?" She said yes. Then I said "and there's a pretty decent possibility that someone would call the police, they'd show up, and I'd have to show the police my license, right?" Again, she said yes. So I asked her "what criminal is going to draw that kind of attention to the fact that he is carrying a gun?" More lights went on, and she agreed that was pretty unlikely. And the kicker was when I said, "You know...... criminals have been carrying concealed pistols illegally all along, when the rest of us were carrying concealed weapons legally. Criminals are not going to go away. But is a pretty safe bet that the person you see open carrying is not a criminal, right?" More lights went on. At one point, she replied to something I said with "well yeah, I guess that really is the logical way to look at it."

There was a lot more to it than that...... I was there for about 40 minutes so it was a fairly long conversation. But anyway, I think that I helped someone to come around to a change in their thinking about both concealed and open carry and guns in general. The secrets to success were:
  • I respectfully acknowledged her fears as real
  • I agreed that when people have horror stories, any thinking person would agree that the horror stories are, in fact horrible (in fact, I'm the one who brought this up)
  • I was respectful of her opinions so that she would feel safe expressing them
  • I used self-deprecating humor to make her more receptive to some of the ideas I brought up
  • I didn't talk down to her, instead I listened when she spoke, and I spoke when she listened. Neither tried to talk over the other
My goal wasn't to preach open carry over concealed carry or visa versa; it was to get her to the point where she would not be freaked out if she saw someone open carrying. It was kind of cool to be able to gently lead her to a point where she could not only see the logic of what I was saying, but start to get comfortable with it.

When I go back there in the next 10 days or so to get my glasses, if she's there I'll follow up, and tell if she would ever like my wife and I to take her to a range and teach her, she has our number.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Smokey
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed/Open Carry Evangelism.......

Post by Smokey »

I think you win the forum today. Wow, that is just amazing! There are some folks that I avoid the topic around, but maybe little by little small victories could be made. About guns in particular but also other topics. Thank you for taking the time to write this post! :tiphat:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

You blew it TAM. When the subject came up you should have ran out to your vehicle, put your OCT muscle shirt with the Gonzales flag on the the back, strapped on your ar15 and drop leg holster and gone back in to finish getting your glasses fitted. That's how you educate folks and get them comfortable with guns.

You did good. I plan to share your story with some folks that aren't comfortable with guns. You hit the high points in a very friendly way.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Good job Tam, win them over one at a time
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Hearts and minds, and all that. Thanks guys.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Smokey wrote:I think you win the forum today. Wow, that is just amazing! There are some folks that I avoid the topic around, but maybe little by little small victories could be made. About guns in particular but also other topics. Thank you for taking the time to write this post! :tiphat:
I snuck a little Jesus talk in there too, in a harmless kind of way. Just because you see an open door doesn't mean you're supposed to walk through it, but some doors we are commanded to walk through.

#TINVOWOOT

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

:clapping:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

I salute you my good man. It don't get much better than that. A little jewel in the crown every now and then is kind of nice.
Larry D. Price

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Man I wish we had that "Like" button.

This is a prime example of how we are going to win this. We've had a lot of hand-wringing and head-shaking on here the last few days. As others have said, let's just let the newness blow over and show everyone that we're the good-guys and we've been opening the doors for the mom with the stroller, saying polite and friendly things to the cashier, and saying hello to the stranger all along, just concealed. Backlash is not going to win this one.

We've often used the term "baby steps" and this is no different. We just were allowed to take a big step forward but it was uncomfortable for a lot of people. We need to give them time to get used to it, be good ambassadors, and keep taking baby steps.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

troglodyte wrote:Man I wish we had that "Like" button.

This is a prime example of how we are going to win this. We've had a lot of hand-wringing and head-shaking on here the last few days. As others have said, let's just let the newness blow over and show everyone that we're the good-guys and we've been opening the doors for the mom with the stroller, saying polite and friendly things to the cashier, and saying hello to the stranger all along, just concealed. Backlash is not going to win this one.

We've often used the term "baby steps" and this is no different. We just were allowed to take a big step forward but it was uncomfortable for a lot of people. We need to give them time to get used to it, be good ambassadors, and keep taking baby steps.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

As a single 30-something... My glasses are starting to seem inadequate.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Very cool. Very, very nicely done.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I think you made a friend.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

:tiphat: That's the way we should all do it. As long as people look at us like we have flames coming out of our eyes they will never understand. Fear of the unknown is powerful. Bravo sir!! :clapping:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”