I now regret that OC passed

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I now regret that OC passed

Post by nightmare69 »

Beiruty wrote:I am surprised that so many posted 30.06 as well as 30.07.
This.

My fiancé and I went to see Star Wars last night. Much to our surprise the theater who was once open to CC has posted both 30.06 and 30.07. Now both theaters in my town has banned LTC holders from carrying.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence then when you get there you realize it was painted concrete.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

LSUTiger wrote:. . . I am sure OC has played a role in speeding up the inevitable. But IMHO, it was only a matter of time before 30.06 was going to inevitably be posted in more and more places as time goes on regardless of OC.
Nope, it wasn't inevitable and in the 18 years since HB2909 passed creating TPC §30.06, there were very few 30.06 signs posted. Some folks are saying there were a lot of 30.06 signs initially, but they came down over the years. This is not the case by any means. The "big ugly signs" were very few and far between.

The OCT antics put the focus on signs and the anti-gunners used it to their advantage. As the OP stated, open-carry supporters are making things worse by complaining about 30.07 signs, or the lack thereof, and we will see more 30.06 and 30.07 signs. They will not come down as time goes by, at least not in significant numbers.

Open-carry supporters who are in the "you're with us or you're against us" camp won't even admit there's a problem now. The few that do claim "this too will pass." No, it won't pass. OC supporters won't let it pass.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

suthdj wrote:The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence then when you get there you realize it was painted concrete.
True, sadly very true.
Chas.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

I agree, some of the posts were/are downright contentious. Some to the point that causes one (me) to wonder whether the poster should be allowed to have guns. Those sort of posts were probably gleefully welcomed by any anti-gun lurkers.

This too shall pass - once the new wears off and the OC roosters are told/figure out how silly they appear 'wearin' their guns to town'. OTOH, I'm less concerned than ever that I might accidentally 'flash' someone and cause that someone to have a tizzy-fit and call the law or something.

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dlh »

Thugs with guns will rob some of these businesses with "no guns allowed" signs. Of course, when the liberal press reports the story there will be no mention that these places were sitting duck zones with posted no guns allowed signs.

In fact, the press is already doing that and good folks like us have to dig it out and do our best to publicize it.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I posted this post (and resulting thread) last year about this time… I was ripped on for hoping that OC didn't pass…

Now I can say "I told you so". lol

Seriously though… I was actually happy when OC passed, but was definitely concerned that what I posted in this thread would end up coming true.. and it has.

I REALLY really REALLY wish we would have focused on extending carry rights to the schools (ALL schools) and not wasted our efforts on OC.

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=76240

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Unocat wrote:Don't have buyer's remorse just yet. let people settle into it. the signs will slowly come down over the next year or two.
When the crime statistics go down, when a LTC holder is a hero, when the OCT AR/AK wielders go away... things will get better.

No that new Star Wars movie - that I regret... I should have just thrown $11.50 in the toilet. :anamatedbanana
I don't think those signs will come down. It takes effort to put them up, there is no driving factor to take them down. For someone that had the concern and went through the trouble to put them up, I don't think they are going to become "enlightened" and go through the effort to take them down. The small % of business they might lose because of the sign is probably insignificant, likely a much smaller percentage than LTC as a % of population.

I hope I'm wrong. The key will be how unobtrusive we can be and get past this initial wave so that it all dies down and people just forget about it. My concern is continued in your face tactics that just keep the issue front and center and more businesses put up signs.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

jerry_r60 wrote:
Unocat wrote:Don't have buyer's remorse just yet. let people settle into it. the signs will slowly come down over the next year or two.
When the crime statistics go down, when a LTC holder is a hero, when the OCT AR/AK wielders go away... things will get better.

No that new Star Wars movie - that I regret... I should have just thrown $11.50 in the toilet. :anamatedbanana
I don't think those signs will come down. It takes effort to put them up, there is no driving factor to take them down. For someone that had the concern and went through the trouble to put them up, I don't think they are going to become "enlightened" and go through the effort to take them down. The small % of business they might lose because of the sign is probably insignificant, likely a much smaller percentage than LTC as a % of population.

I hope I'm wrong. The key will be how unobtrusive we can be and get past this initial wave so that it all dies down and people just forget about it. My concern is continued in your face tactics that just keep the issue front and center and more businesses put up signs.
They have to clean those windows sometime, signs fade over the years, and so on.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

AJSully421 wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:

They have to clean those windows sometime, signs fade over the years, and so on.
We'll, I don't have the CHL tenure of many on here but in the 4 years I've paid attention to this, I've never seen a sign come down. I know that's not that long but....just saying.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Glockedandlocked wrote:same thing happened when CC passed, people cried because of 30.06 signs being up, and if they couldn't carry their gun they would do business elsewhere. Same exact arguments.
Where did you see this same thing happen about 30.06 signs when CC passed?

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Other states don't have a problem and I have yet to see a new sign anywhere yet. I am starting to think there are a lot of false reports being generated by those with an agenda. Just my opinion. I still think it's much ado over nothing since it's only 5 days into it.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

rotor

Post by rotor »

You are starting to sound like a bunch of crybabies. 44 states had this before Texas. The sky is not falling. Live with it Tincture of time cures a lot of illness.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Right2Carry wrote:Other states don't have a problem and I have yet to see a new sign anywhere yet. I am starting to think there are a lot of false reports being generated by those with an agenda. Just my opinion. I still think it's much ado over nothing since it's only 5 days into it.
The first 2 days I must of got half a dozen notifications from Texas3006 for new postings in my city. Been a few every couple of days also.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

amaly23

Post by amaly23 »

IMO it is good that open carry passed. Now in 2017 we can fight for other restrictions being lifted. For example removing many of the places where we can not carry.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”