Suppose your favorite restaurant/ store is now 30.06 posted...What do you do?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Outnumbered
Posts in topic: 2

Suppose your favorite restaurant/ store is now 30.06 posted...What do you do?

Post by Outnumbered »

Obviously, go somewhere else to shop or eat, but do you say something? It seems to me that if we want businesses to remove their signs, they need to know that they are losing customers due to their choice. Some of the dyed in the wool anti-gun corporations might not care, but I bet there are plenty out there who will care if they learn they are turning customers away. MDA has been the squeaky wheel. It seems we need to squeak louder. I'm just not sure how.

So, my question is, if you plan to let them know why you will no longer be a customer, how do you inform them? Hand them one of the TSRA's no guns no money cards? Call? Send an email or letter? What do you all think would be most effective?

Signed,

A very sad former customer of Half Price Books :grumble

dru
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Suppose your favorite restaurant/ store is now 30.06 posted...What do you do?

Post by dru »

Outnumbered wrote:
So, my question is, if you plan to let them know why you will no longer be a customer, how do you inform them? Hand them one of the TSRA's no guns no money cards? Call? Send an email or letter? What do you all think would be most effective?

Signed,

All of the above. Politely hand them the card. Call them. Send an email or a letter. Be polite but firm. Indicate competitors of theirs by name that you will support. Let them know the instant they change their policy you'll be back.

carlson1

Re: Suppose your favorite restaurant/ store is now 30.06 posted...What do you do?

Post by carlson1 »

I would guess everything you listed, but do not get your hopes up. They will not loose enough business to matter. You could send a Thank You Note to folks like OCT. :lol:

Les Miles

Post by Les Miles »

I honestly wouldn't care. Plenty of other places I can go.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I suppose it depends on how "favorite" it is. Right now we don't go out often enough to affect any restaurateur's bottom line, but in the past we have had places that were "favorite" enough that we would eat there 6-7 times a week, if not more.

If it were a favorite enough place that they would know who I am, I'd certainly let them know why we won't be dining there, politely, reasonably, and hope that they change their policy.

If we're talking about a place we go once or twice a year, I'd just find a new favorite place.

I can't imagine a restaurant that's so special to me that I'd disarm to eat there.

So far, for every place that has posted 30.06 and decided to stand by it, another similar business has come out and welcomed carry, if not open, then concealed. I'm not getting hung up on places I can show vs. not show...
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

Find a new favorite. I think the odds of any particular establishment caring whether we patronize them are near zero. It might be different if it's a true favorite, and some unique local business where you're a regular and are on speaking terms with the management or owners. I'd speak up if I knew the people running it (not that it would probably matter)....otherwise I wouldn't bother, I'd just go somewhere else.

Realistically, if a business doesn't care enough about a segment of their customers to avoid alienating them in the first place, it's unlikely they'll make the connection between cause and effect even if they lose enough business to notice it. A business that bans CC is likely being run by liberals. Liberals virtually never accept the consequences of their actions.....they'd find a hundred other reasons why their business dropped off. And that's assuming you're not dealing with a die hard liberal that's willing to trade a little profit to advance the liberal agenda.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I emailed Half Price Books to let them know I would not be back. I suggested they follow HEB's lead. I will continue to address each occurrence as it comes up. HPB is the only valid 30.06 I have seen thus far.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I don't have a place that I enjoy so much that I would set my values aside.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

oljames3 wrote:I emailed Half Price Books to let them know I would not be back. I suggested they follow HEB's lead. I will continue to address each occurrence as it comes up. HPB is the only valid 30.06 I have seen thus far.
Did you email a specific store, or do they have a corporate email? I used to visit every so often. Probably won't be back if my local store has a 30.06.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

The good restaurants around here, and some of the not-so-good ones, are so busy, >30 minute waits usually, no reservations, that they would not likely notice the drop in patronage. The Olive Garden at the shopping center often has an hour or more wait in the evening.

We stopped in Whataburger yesterday at lunch. The parking lot was full. There was a line to order and no place to sit. The drive through line was packed. Chic-Fil-As are normally the same. That is not unusual around here.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Rmartinez37

Post by Rmartinez37 »

I would let them know being as polite and as professional as possible. Explaining that chl/ltc holders are by far the most law abiding citizens and that we are not the OCT people and explain the distinction between us normals and OCT. (we don't carry long rifles and shotguns in the open just because we can). I can see how that might scare some people.

If they are 30.06/07 posted I would expain the difference between the two, and say that I would still be a customer if they removed the 30.06 since I plan to conceal 90% if the time anyways. That's just Me though.
I think some places believe that in order to ban open carry both 06/07 need to be posted when only .07 is needed. I would again emphasize the difference between the two and and by saying that since there was no 03/07 in the past there were potentially countless cc customers and not once was there ever a negative incident brought on by a law abiding chl/ and now ltc.

My 2c. :txflag: :patriot:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I will go elsewhere. My safety and the safety of my loved ones comes first, and we shall not be sitting ducks in some quisling establishment.

As mentioned above, they probably won't care, but that's the way it goes.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Outnumbered wrote:Obviously, go somewhere else to shop or eat, but do you say something? It seems to me that if we want businesses to remove their signs, they need to know that they are losing customers due to their choice. Some of the dyed in the wool anti-gun corporations might not care, but I bet there are plenty out there who will care if they learn they are turning customers away. MDA has been the squeaky wheel. It seems we need to squeak louder. I'm just not sure how.

Signed,

I send them the statistics of the number of Texas likely to be in their customer base that have a LTC. So what if only 4% of Texans have an LTC. It's meaningless to retailers' income since that 4% ratio includes everyone from infants to 20 years old that legally can't carry yet. What's relevant are the percentage of Texans ages 21 and over who have an LTC and are likely to be their customers. For example, customer demographics: http://www.retailleader.com/top-story-c ... s-583.html. Now how many of those have their LTC? I don't know but it's greater than 4%. The information of the number of Texans within that main shopping demographic age should be in the capital but I can't find it from the website.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Just walk up to the door and stand in front of the sign making sure someone inside can see you. Run your finger over the sign as if you're reading it. They look at the employee shake your head, turn around and leave. If you go there often the employee may be someone you know. Go find a new favorite place. Maye when they do the books they'll see they have been losing business. Maybe put something in the local paper or on their Facebook or website. I was out and about yesterday and looked at several stores and shops including an HEB. Didn't see any .06 or .07 signs.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

JALLEN wrote:The good restaurants around here, and some of the not-so-good ones, are so busy, >30 minute waits usually, no reservations, that they would not likely notice the drop in patronage. The Olive Garden at the shopping center often has an hour or more wait in the evening.

We stopped in Whataburger yesterday at lunch. The parking lot was full. There was a line to order and no place to sit. The drive through line was packed. Chic-Fil-As are normally the same. That is not unusual around here.
I also doubt they'd miss the patronage or even admit to themselves it was due to their anti-gun policy even if they did. But after my stint in the military lining up for chow there is no restaurant on this planet I'd wait 30 minutes to eat at, much less an hour --especially the Olive Garden. Then again, I also don't particularly enjoy a meal consumed in a packed and noisy restaurant, so if I did want some of what was on the menu I'd place my order over the internet and pick it up at the takeout window....which, at the local Chilis anyway, means completely avoiding a line.

For me, that applies to lines just about everywhere. Rarely do I need anything badly enough to wait more than a few minutes in line for it. I just can't abide the notion of standing in line to hand over my money to someone whether it be a restaurant or a store. I have left purchases behind many times at stores that fail to provide sufficient check-out capacity to process customers quickly.

I might have to make very different choices if I couldn't order just about anything I wanted from the internet, delivered right to my door, often for less money than at the store, no lines, no hassle, no out of stock and wasted trip.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”