Can't use Remora or Sticky for Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stephenn
Posts in topic: 1

Can't use Remora or Sticky for Open Carry

Post by stephenn »

Last night, I was at Grand Prairie's meeting about the new Open Carry laws and Chief Dye brought up an interesting point about using a Sticky or Remora holsters for Open Carry. The new law says that Open Carry must be in either a shoulder holster or in holster that attaches to belt. Since those types of holsters don't actually attach to your belt, they are not legal for Open Carry. I understand that most people aren't using that style of holster for Open Carry but, I could see someone conceal carrying then removing their concealment garment so that the person is now open carrying in a holster not attached to belt so in violation of the law.

Thoughts?

Countryside
Banned

Re: Can't use Remora or Sticky for Open Carry

Post by Countryside »

Good point.
I guess it is what it is.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

stephenn wrote:Last night, I was at Grand Prairie's meeting about the new Open Carry laws and Chief Dye brought up an interesting point about using a Sticky or Remora holsters for Open Carry. The new law says that Open Carry must be in either a shoulder holster or in holster that attaches to belt. Since those types of holsters don't actually attach to your belt, they are not legal for Open Carry. I understand that most people aren't using that style of holster for Open Carry but, I could see someone conceal carrying then removing their concealment garment so that the person is now open carrying in a holster not attached to belt so in violation of the law.

Thoughts?
The law doesn't say "attaches to the belt" and belt/shoulder holsters aren't defined. Every other LEO I've heard has gone the other way on the issue of wearing something closely resembling a belt holster.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

stephenn wrote:Last night, I was at Grand Prairie's meeting about the new Open Carry laws and Chief Dye brought up an interesting point about using a Sticky or Remora holsters for Open Carry. The new law says that Open Carry must be in either a shoulder holster or in holster that attaches to belt. Since those types of holsters don't actually attach to your belt, they are not legal for Open Carry. I understand that most people aren't using that style of holster for Open Carry but, I could see someone conceal carrying then removing their concealment garment so that the person is now open carrying in a holster not attached to belt so in violation of the law.

Thoughts?
As I understand them Sticky and Remora holsters are designed for pocket carry and are not suitable for open carry.
IANAL, but IMO if you concealed carried using one of these holsters and then removed your concealment garment you would be in violation of the law.
If a person wants to open carry, they need to purchase and wear the correct type of holster.
NRA Endowment Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

WildBill wrote:

Thoughts?
As I understand them Sticky and Remora holsters are for pocket carry and are not suitable for open carry.
IANAL, but IMO if you concealed carried using one of these holsters and then removed your concealment garment you would be in violation of the law.
If a person wants to open carry, they need to purchase and wear the correct type of holster.

Actually, they are designed to either be used in a pocket or IWB. It's the pressure and friction of the belt, pants and body that holds it in place.

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/Articles.asp?ID=259
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

mojo84 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Thoughts?
As I understand them Sticky and Remora holsters are for pocket carry and are not suitable for open carry.

Actually, they are designed to either be used in a pocket or IWB. It's the pressure and friction of the belt, pants and body that holds it in place.

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/Articles.asp?ID=259
I wasn't aware that they had so many holster options. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Personally, I would not wear an IWB or OWB holster that relies solely on pressure and friction to hold it in place.
NRA Endowment Member

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Must say I disagree with this LEO's decision/interpretation of the new law. I like how my Remoras can be carried fairly deep IWB yet still easily accessible to me. Would be same as any other holster without a retention strap.

This is the part that worries so much - LEO's and many others either have a poor understanding of the law or make their own interpretation or "local" beliefs.

I'll never forget the conversation I heard in a pawn shop between a local detective and another customer. I cringed when the detective told the person that pawnshop guns are great bargains and safe to own since pawnshops have FFLs and will register the gun in the purchaser's name with the state.

txblackout

Post by txblackout »

remora has a version with a belt clip. This would qualify as a belt holster.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”