Gun purchase using CHL only, without a license?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jaystekan
Posts in topic: 5

Gun purchase using CHL only, without a license?

Post by jaystekan »

So, I have my Texas CHL with my Texas address on it. My drivers license is from Oklahoma. My question is: Can I purchase a gun from a shop here in Texas using my CHL only, and not needing a drivers license? Or, do I need 2 forms of Texas id cards to purchase a handgun?

cheezit
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun purchase using CHL only, without a license?

Post by cheezit »

Which state do you live in?

Mel

Post by Mel »

Can't say for sure, but I don't remember anyone asking for a second ID when I purchased a handgun. Just my CHL.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

All you need is a current Texas CHL - it meets all the ATF requirements as long as it is current and the address is correct.

Topic author
jaystekan

Post by jaystekan »

Thanks everyone. I actually reside in Texas, but I have an Oklahoma drivers license. I guess the only way to find out if I can purchase just using CHL is to try, my CHL has the physical address I live at here in Texas.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

jaystekan wrote:Thanks everyone. I actually reside in Texas, but I have an Oklahoma drivers license. I guess the only way to find out if I can purchase just using CHL is to try, my CHL has the physical address I live at here in Texas.
You need to obtain a Texas DL if you are now living in Texas. If not that is a criminal offense.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

jaystekan wrote:Thanks everyone. I actually reside in Texas, but I have an Oklahoma drivers license. I guess the only way to find out if I can purchase just using CHL is to try, my CHL has the physical address I live at here in Texas.
Are you in the military stationed in Texas? Just curious as to why you haven't got a Texas DL.

Topic author
jaystekan

Post by jaystekan »

I am no longer Military, but my wife is finishing up her career here. Our family is stationed here for now, too much work to change my license every time we move, and as a Veteran, I have schooling benefits waiting for me when we return to OK, but I have to maintain my residency there. Texas does not make military families get a Texas license if and when we are stationed here.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

That sounds complicated. I don't know the answer to the question for sure, but if OK is actually your state of residence you may not be able to take possession of a handgun bought here in Texas. What do the experts think?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

I'm no expert, but with the three firearms I've bought over this Christmas season, all of the vendors have wanted my CHL AND a Texas Drivers License. Whether they would have declined the purchase without the DL, I have no idea. But YMMV.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
jaystekan

Post by jaystekan »

C-dub wrote:That sounds complicated. I don't know the answer to the question for sure, but if OK is actually your state of residence you may not be able to take possession of a handgun bought here in Texas. What do the experts think?
Yeah, I was thinking that, but since my CHL has my Texas address on it, and you don't absolutely need a license as a second form of Identification, I was thinking that maybe it was possible. Now that a Texas CHL can be used as an official form of ID here in Texas I was hopeful that I could use that as my ID to purchase a handgun.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jaystekan wrote:
C-dub wrote:That sounds complicated. I don't know the answer to the question for sure, but if OK is actually your state of residence you may not be able to take possession of a handgun bought here in Texas. What do the experts think?
Yeah, I was thinking that, but since my CHL has my Texas address on it, and you don't absolutely need a license as a second form of Identification, I was thinking that maybe it was possible. Now that a Texas CHL can be used as an official form of ID here in Texas I was hopeful that I could use that as my ID to purchase a handgun.
You probably can, but I'm skeptical. Which state do you claim as your residence for tax purposes? I wonder if that makes a difference for matter like this.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If you continued to maintain residency in Oklahoma, and your DL is from there, then your CHL should have your address that matches your residency which would be Oklahoma since you are no longer in the military. If the addresses don't match, then you need to get it changed or you are in violation of the law.

In that case, because you have an Oklahoma residency you can purchase a handgun in Texas with your CHL only, but the dealer would have to send it to an FFL in Oklahoma for you to pick up there.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”