/dash-cam-video-shows-how-simple-traffic-stop-quickly-escalated-when-driver-informed-officer-of-concealed-carry-permit

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 2

Re: /dash-cam-video-shows-how-simple-traffic-stop-quickly-escalated-when-driver-informed-officer-of-concealed-carry-perm

Post by Texsquatch »

locke_n_load wrote:I don't know if this has been posted, but here is an excerpt from the Rosenberg Police Department Facebook page:
“In light of the recent media publicity regarding the traffic arrest of an armed CHL holder, we felt compelled to make a statement. The Rosenberg Police Department supports our 2nd Amendment rights, and all CHL holders. Please do not allow an isolated incident or the actions of one Officer to tarnish the image of the entire Agency. The arresting Officer is no longer employed with our Department. We stand with our Community.”

Via Rosenberg Police Department Facebook page.

I would post the link, but I don't have FB from work (copied and pasted from an email I sent myself).
Hmm, sounds like kinda and apology and kinda and admission that the officer screwed up.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: /dash-cam-video-shows-how-simple-traffic-stop-quickly-escalated-when-driver-informed-officer-of-concealed-carry-perm

Post by EEllis »

Pariah3j wrote:
Please do not allow an isolated incident or the actions of one Officer to tarnish the image of the entire Agency.
yet...
The police spokesman said the events were investigated and were "within policy."
Feels like they are trying to play both sides of the fence here... He obviously violated policy and made the agency look bad, or why else would they let him go and apologize for his actions...
Where does it say they let him go? They also didn't apologize, they basically just said "hey we like guns and that guy is gone so please forget about this." All that really says to me is they have crappy PR people.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pariah3j »

EEllis wrote:
Where does it say they let him go? They also didn't apologize, they basically just said "hey we like guns and that guy is gone so please forget about this." All that really says to me is they have crappy PR people.
locke_n_load wrote:I don't know if this has been posted, but here is an excerpt from the Rosenberg Police Department Facebook page:
“In light of the recent media publicity regarding the traffic arrest of an armed CHL holder, we felt compelled to make a statement. The Rosenberg Police Department supports our 2nd Amendment rights, and all CHL holders. Please do not allow an isolated incident or the actions of one Officer to tarnish the image of the entire Agency. The arresting Officer is no longer employed with our Department. We stand with our Community.

I would post the link, but I don't have FB from work (copied and pasted from an email I sent myself).
That is an apology - the only thing they didn't use was the word sorry.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

comsec wrote:Having been a cops' kid, growing up around law enforcement types, and having a step dad who was a hangin' criminal judge and former prosecutor, I have some cognitive dissonance about being a door mat for my rights as a citizen.

On the other hand, I have great respect for the difficult job that police officers have these days.

Rights have responsibilities, and that is where being in the adult ego state you can manage almost any situation of conflict...

I think this was a "fishin" stop, and the officers were a little too quick on the continuum of force to "stuff and cuff" the licensee.

You can argue that this was there way of managing the situation of "disarming" the licensee and there's merit to that.

Best way to avoid this is to show deference and not be confrontational at the time of contact. You do this by having the perspective that it is a zero sum game and the only way to win is to get the "stop" over as quickly as possible.

Contempt of cop is not something I want to be guilty of, but specious arguments about "what do I have to hide" or circular logic used in questions in an attempt to create articulate suspicion will not bear fruit with me as long as I stay in the adult ego state and have the objective of getting the officers on their way to not waste both of our time this day.

Emotions have no place here until the stop IS OVER. If I feel some breach of rights has occurred , it is my responsibility to point out that an officer may need a Personal Improvement Program to stay employed or keep his commission by putting a searchlight on them to their superiors/entity who may have future liability and costs due to his unprofessional conduct.

comsec
Well said comsec. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

It's within the policy of apologies.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by EEllis »

Pariah3j wrote:
EEllis wrote:
“In light of the recent media publicity regarding the traffic arrest of an armed CHL holder, we felt compelled to make a statement. The Rosenberg Police Department supports our 2nd Amendment rights, and all CHL holders. Please do not allow an isolated incident or the actions of one Officer to tarnish the image of the entire Agency. The arresting Officer is no longer employed with our Department. We stand with our Community.

That is an apology - the only thing they didn't use was the word sorry.

They didn't say anything, that is the whole point. It did what they wanted it to, in your case, without actually apologizing or admitting anything at all. Not to mention that even if it were an apology it still wouldn't prove anything at all because people and organizations do so pandering to the public all the time without regard to the truth of a situation. Yep they threw a cop that doesn't work there anymore under the bus, by implying some sort of unnamed guilt, in hopes that it might assuage the public. Mind you the actions may have been wrong, I just think the idea that the statement mentioned somehow "proves" something isn't logically sustainable.

handog
Posts in topic: 5

Post by handog »

Texsquatch wrote:
“In light of the recent media publicity regarding the traffic arrest of an armed CHL holder, we felt compelled to make a statement. The Rosenberg Police Department supports our 2nd Amendment rights, and all CHL holders. Please do not allow an isolated incident or the actions of one Officer to tarnish the image of the entire Agency. The arresting Officer is no longer employed with our Department. We stand with our Community.”

Hmm, sounds like kinda and apology and kinda and admission that the officer screwed up.
Yep.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”