S&W MP 15 Sport

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Canon1d4
Posts in topic: 3

S&W MP 15 Sport

Post by Canon1d4 »

Does anyone have one of these, and is so what do you think about. I want an entry level AR and am undecided about what to buy. Any info will be appreciated.

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: S&W MP 15 Sport

Post by FastCarry »

I've read mixed reviews, but I have an MP 15 Magpul edition, fancy desert bits here an there. It fires like a dream, accurate and tight at 100 yards on the iron sights. Ive never cleaned it once and have about 800 rounds through. Id get different model/manufacturer to add to the collection but i wouldnt trade it for another. Its a gem.

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

Entry level you can build for $500 or less. Won't be fancy but will go bang.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

GeorgetownJD

Post by GeorgetownJD »

jason812 wrote:Entry level you can build for $500 or less. Won't be fancy but will go bang.
I have looked at several of these kits. Is it a better buy than a M&P 15? How is the accuracy?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Look at the cost of a Colt Le6920.

It's a far better AR and you can now get them for $800.00.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

GeorgetownJD wrote:
I have looked at several of these kits. Is it a better buy than a M&P 15? How is the accuracy?
I'm not sure. I'm in the process of putting together a .300 Blackout pistol and can do so for $500 but that's with the least expensive parts you can find. I've always wanted to see how a budget build would perform. It depends on what you want out of the rifle. Sub MOA, no. Go boom every time you pull the trigger and be accurate enough to hunt/plink/self defense, yes.
Abraham wrote:Look at the cost of a Colt Le6920.

It's a far better AR and you can now get them for $800.00.
I've heard about them but just assumed it was a Colt so it was $1k at least. I have a during the assault weapons ban Colt Competition HBAR and it is a sub MOA rifle with the 8lb trigger and non free floated stock but with a scope and hand loads.

If I were in the market to buy another built AR, I would look hard at the Colt just based on my experience but even at $800, it is 1.6 times more than an entry level rifle.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Like most things, you get what you pay for. I think you'll be fine with the S&W. I have a PSA that I traded an old deer rifle for about $300 in my investment. I think new PSA's are in your range.

There's folks who will tell you PSA's are junk, but there's a few pigs I've shot who will say otherwise. And it pokes holes in targets just fine.

Good luck. And most importantly, enjoy whatever you decide to purchase.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

I own a M&P 15 Sport. It was the first AR I purchased. They are a good, basic carbine. I mounted a red dot sight and use if for plinking and hog hunting, and have never had a problem with it. I also have a BCM rifle, and while the BCM has more features, it isn't any more accurate or appear to be any more reliable than the lower cost Sport.

There are several other rifles out there though now in the same price range that have more features than the Sport. Ruger, Del-ton, and Palmetto State Armory all offer a rifle that have forward assist, ejection port coevers, and PSA and Del-ton have chrome lined barrels. If I were in the market today, I would probably look at an upper from PSA like this one for $384.99.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/ ... w/id/8555/

Then pair it with a lower like this

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/ ... /id/14434/

Not a bad rifle for $515.

Topic author
Canon1d4

Post by Canon1d4 »

I appreciate all the commits please keep them coming. I have no experience with AR's the only battle rifle I have owned was a HK 91, and I kick my sef every day for selling it.

jed

Post by jed »

I have an M&P Sport. My first AR also. Seems to be a great rifle.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Have you looked at http://www.radicalfirearms.com/category-s/2096.htm ? I'm going to order one after the first of the month.

Topic author
Canon1d4

Post by Canon1d4 »

I decided to go with the Ruger AR556, picked it up today. I thought that with the 1in 8 twist it would be better for a wider range of bullet weights than the M&P with the 1 in 9. I'm going to the range tomorrow and check it out. I'm sure that a new trigger is going to be necessary, and I will most likely go with a Mag pul hand guard for some rails. I am interested in what sights you guys recommend, maybe some kind of red dot.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Uh oh, I smell a direct impingement debate coming. Kidding. Sounds like a winner, enjoy.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”