Costco Gun Policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Costco Gun Policy

Post by C-dub »

thetexan wrote:Having now read the entire set of rules the general policies do state that "Costco policy prohibits firearms..." referring in the third person to the policy. None of the other 'policies' use this language. In other words it doesn't say "Costco policy prohibits liquor and tobacco sales to be made to minors." It says "Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors."

This may seem a parsing of the language but since there is a published policy on firearms in the warehouses and since the phrase "Costco policy prohibits..." refers to that policy where the other prohibitions are stated in the affirmative and do not refer to separately written policies, it seems that what the actual policy states is what prevails.

However the rules apply specifically to members and are not addressed to the guests since the policy clearly specifies the policy as a membership policy which the members are expected to agree to adhere to else your fee will happily be refunded. So, in their mind this 'policy' stops the members but only a 30.06 will stop the guests.

However this is probably taking parsing beyond the point of winning the argument. It's certainly poorly written and could be stated much more clearly.

Now I really feel better.

tex
I thought it was pretty clear. It just doesn't meet the requirements to be effective notice here in Texas for anyone, member or not. My former employer has a similar policy and includes guests. However, there are no 30.06 signs anywhere and guests never see the policy.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by John Galt »

Another thought: Say a Costco member and CHL holder leaves his pistol in the car because of Costco policy and in returning to the car is robbed and or worse, do they have any responsibility?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

John Galt wrote:Another thought: Say a Costco member and CHL holder leaves his pistol in the car because of Costco policy and in returning to the car is robbed and or worse, do they have any responsibility?
Morally? Yes. Legally? No.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

I just got back from there. I'm tired, but I did carry a full-sized Glock 9mm, and nobody seemed to notice or care.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I'm liberal and I always CC in Costco. I no more care where they send their money than I do where Hobby Lobby sends theirs. My wallet does my purchasing and I have no intentions of cutting off my nose to spite my face. I wouldn't have many places to shop in Texas if I allowed politics to rule my purchases.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

WinoVeritas wrote:I'm liberal and I always CC in Costco. I no more care where they send their money than I do where Hobby Lobby sends theirs. My wallet does my purchasing and I have no intentions of cutting off my nose to spite my face. I wouldn't have many places to shop in Texas if I allowed politics to rule my purchases.

Wow! I thought guns were the only inanimate object that perform actions on their own... "rlol" :biggrinjester:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

lforde
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lforde »

Went to Costco off Chisolm Trail Toll in Ft Worth TX today and COSTCO has just put the 30.06 sign on the front entrance. I went inside (without my gun to obey Texas Law) and asked to speak to a manager. I asked the manager when did they put that sign up because I'm a CHL carrier who shops there all the time and she told me that it has always been up. I politely told here no it wasn't because as a CHL carrier I'm always checking for 30.06 signs before I enter any establishment. I called SAMs club while in there and asked if they allow CHL and the SAMs manager said yes they do. I told COSTCO that I'll be taking my business to SAMS. If you don't want my gun then you don't want my wallet.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

lforde wrote:Went to Costco off Chisolm Trail Toll in Ft Worth TX today and COSTCO has just put the 30.06 sign on the front entrance. I went inside (without my gun to obey Texas Law) and asked to speak to a manager. I asked the manager when did they put that sign up because I'm a CHL carrier who shops there all the time and she told me that it has always been up. I politely told here no it wasn't because as a CHL carrier I'm always checking for 30.06 signs before I enter any establishment. I called SAMs club while in there and asked if they allow CHL and the SAMs manager said yes they do. I told COSTCO that I'll be taking my business to SAMS. If you don't want my gun then you don't want my wallet.
Not only that, but we don't find Costco to be that less expensive than Sam's or Walmart, etc. Granted, we don't purchase platoon size quantities of nothing.

Edit:

FWIW, I bought my hearing aids from the Costco in Kalispell, MT and had 'em serviced at the Costco in The Woodlands. The lady audiologists at both locations had CC licenses and both knew that I was carrying.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

It's not a problem at the Lewisville store. When I joined about 3 months ago I called and spoke with the manager and I asked him if they allow Chl holder in his store, he called the district manager and they both said no problem.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

The Annoyed Man

I've been a Costco member since about 1996 and shop at the Southlake store. I haven't seen a 30.06 sign there yet, and I do look for one each time I go. It must have been a local manager decision rather than a corporate one.

#TINVOWOOT

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

I believe that it is a corporate one based on the memo posted at:
http://www.2acheck.com/boycott-costco/
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

No 30.06 at COSTCO Southlake or the one at I35W and North Tarrant (North Fort Worth)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

crewsn

Post by crewsn »

costco in my area has the "unlicensed possesion signs" posted. I would think with a store policy that prohibits firearms that they would post the 30.06 sign. very wierd approach to thier own store policy.

The Annoyed Man

Glockster wrote:I believe that it is a corporate one based on the memo posted at:
http://www.2acheck.com/boycott-costco/
Yes, I realize that have that little poison pill in their membership agreement. I've never seen it, and I avoid going to look for it, so I have not received notice yet. But I'm saying there is no corporate policy to post 30.06 signs, or they'd be up at all their stores, and they just aren't.

#TINVOWOOT

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

This whole discussion has me wondering what Costco will do when open carry is legal. Will they still neglect to put signs up? If so, what will they do when open carriers walk in (which you know is going to happen.) Will they then put the 30.07 signs up but not put up 30.06 signs up? If so, I would think that implies that they have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to weapons.

I don't shop at Costco and never will, because of the Nevada incident, but it does make one curious.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”