Driving to upstate New York

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
zipmac22
Posts in topic: 1

Driving to upstate New York

Post by zipmac22 »

Hey Everyone, I am planning on driving to drive from Texas up to upstate New York to visit family over Christmas and would like to bring my weapons with me. Of course New York refuses to honor any other state's CHL so I'm not able to carry in New York state. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might find a way or place to store my weapons in PA before I cross over to New York? I was thinking about maybe finding a gun shop and storing it on site, but a couple of gun shops that I've contacted said they weren't be able to help out. So, anyone that can think of a solution I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks!

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Driving to upstate New York

Post by JALLEN »

I just went through a similar situation traveling through NY, and I solved it by avoiding NY.

This may not work for your situation. Have a look at the summaries at http://www.handgunlaw.us for NY requirements. I found them so onerous I avoided it altogether. Can you even possess a gun, locked in the trunk, unloaded?

Would it work to ship it when you get to the border?

Maybe it would be easier to have your family Christmas in neighboring Vermont and fly into Manchester.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Check NY law to see what they require as far as traveling inside state lines while transporting a firearm. I also have family in NY (CNY), I do not take a weapon w me, they have gotten worse since I left. Do your homework and have a safe & fun trip !!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

2 years ago, we took a trip to Virginia to see family and then to upstate NY. When we left Virginia, I left all of my guns there so as to not have to worry about them if I got stopped. Sure enough, about 10 miles over the NY border, I got pulled over. Said I didn't give a signal when I changed lanes (I did but not the issue here). Then his comment was "where is your gun?" I said in Virginia. He asked if he could search my car and I asked if he had a warrant to which he said no but he could get one if I didn't allow him to search. I said then go ahead and get one, I'll wait. At this point of course my wife is getting frustrated but I told her this would be okay. The LEO got on the radio and after a few minutes he came up to the car and told me a warrant was on the way but it would go a whole lot better if I let him search before it got there. I said no, I'll wait and by the way, I would like to see a supervisor. He gets on the radio and calls for a supervisor which arrived in about 5 minutes (surprised). I explained to him that I was getting extremely frustrate at being detained only because I have Texas plates. He asked why I thought that and I explained the first question the officer asked me was where my gun was. Thats a pretty good indication. At this time we have been on the side of the road for about 45 minutes and I ask the supervisor if I am being charged with anything and he says no. I then ask if I am free to leave and he says yes. As I am driving off, I see the two of them talking for a few then the original officer comes up behind us and follows for about 15 miles before he exits.

The moral of this is, expect to be stopped if you have Texas plates because they assume everyone from Texas carries a gun
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taypo »

RPBrown wrote:2 years ago, we took a trip to Virginia to see family and then to upstate NY. When we left Virginia, I left all of my guns there so as to not have to worry about them if I got stopped. Sure enough, about 10 miles over the NY border, I got pulled over. Said I didn't give a signal when I changed lanes (I did but not the issue here). Then his comment was "where is your gun?" I said in Virginia. He asked if he could search my car and I asked if he had a warrant to which he said no but he could get one if I didn't allow him to search. I said then go ahead and get one, I'll wait. At this point of course my wife is getting frustrated but I told her this would be okay. The LEO got on the radio and after a few minutes he came up to the car and told me a warrant was on the way but it would go a whole lot better if I let him search before it got there. I said no, I'll wait and by the way, I would like to see a supervisor. He gets on the radio and calls for a supervisor which arrived in about 5 minutes (surprised). I explained to him that I was getting extremely frustrate at being detained only because I have Texas plates. He asked why I thought that and I explained the first question the officer asked me was where my gun was. Thats a pretty good indication. At this time we have been on the side of the road for about 45 minutes and I ask the supervisor if I am being charged with anything and he says no. I then ask if I am free to leave and he says yes. As I am driving off, I see the two of them talking for a few then the original officer comes up behind us and follows for about 15 miles before he exits.

The moral of this is, expect to be stopped if you have Texas plates because they assume everyone from Texas carries a gun

As someone who visits that neighborhood fairly often, I'll tell you my opinion: just leave em at home. It's not worth it. I don't even take my EDC knives with me.

You're gonna get hassled for the license plates at least once, you'll probably get searched when they do, and they'll inevitably do their best to make sure you don't want to come back.

EDIT: quoted the wrong guy. Sorry RP

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I lived in upstate NY from '79-'83 and it's a beautiful state. I would love to take the family back up there to visit, but won't for these reasons. There is so much really cool history in that entire region, but I don't foresee being able to get back up there any time soon.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

zipmac22 wrote:Hey Everyone, I am planning on driving to drive from Texas up to upstate New York to visit family over Christmas and would like to bring my weapons with me. Of course New York refuses to honor any other state's CHL so I'm not able to carry in New York state. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might find a way or place to store my weapons in PA before I cross over to New York? I was thinking about maybe finding a gun shop and storing it on site, but a couple of gun shops that I've contacted said they weren't be able to help out. So, anyone that can think of a solution I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks!
I think you're asking the wrong question. Don't ask them to store it for you. Instead, ask for a deep cleaning. Tell them you want it cleaned at a level of disassembly that you (as a simple user, not an armorer) can do.

You'll get it back cleaner than ever, and the mission will be accomplished.

May work, may not, but it's worth a try.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

RPBrown wrote:The moral of this is, expect to be stopped if you have Texas plates because they assume everyone from Texas carries a gun
Don't assume it is solely the Texas plate. He could have easily known you had a Texas CHL. That information is shared amongst various law enforcement agencies, even with Canada.

Note that linking your license plate to the registered owner, and then the registered owner to the CHL is not commonly done in Texas, but it is a simple database query that is easily linked in software. I know for a fact there are other software vendors that offer that as a feature to law enforcement agency purchasers.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

sass2924

Post by sass2924 »

RPBrown wrote:2 years ago, we took a trip to Virginia to see family and then to upstate NY. When we left Virginia, I left all of my guns there so as to not have to worry about them if I got stopped. Sure enough, about 10 miles over the NY border, I got pulled over. Said I didn't give a signal when I changed lanes (I did but not the issue here). Then his comment was "where is your gun?" I said in Virginia. He asked if he could search my car and I asked if he had a warrant to which he said no but he could get one if I didn't allow him to search. I said then go ahead and get one, I'll wait. At this point of course my wife is getting frustrated but I told her this would be okay. The LEO got on the radio and after a few minutes he came up to the car and told me a warrant was on the way but it would go a whole lot better if I let him search before it got there. I said no, I'll wait and by the way, I would like to see a supervisor. He gets on the radio and calls for a supervisor which arrived in about 5 minutes (surprised). I explained to him that I was getting extremely frustrate at being detained only because I have Texas plates. He asked why I thought that and I explained the first question the officer asked me was where my gun was. Thats a pretty good indication. At this time we have been on the side of the road for about 45 minutes and I ask the supervisor if I am being charged with anything and he says no. I then ask if I am free to leave and he says yes. As I am driving off, I see the two of them talking for a few then the original officer comes up behind us and follows for about 15 miles before he exits.

That's good that you stood your ground about the un-warranted search. I'm surprised the officer kept pushing after you told him to get a warrant. I think you handled that well.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The moral of this is, expect to be stopped if you have Texas plates because they assume everyone from Texas carries a gun
Don't assume it is solely the Texas plate. He could have easily known you had a Texas CHL. That information is shared amongst various law enforcement agencies, even with Canada.

Note that linking your license plate to the registered owner, and then the registered owner to the CHL is not commonly done in Texas, but it is a simple database query that is easily linked in software. I know for a fact there are other software vendors that offer that as a feature to law enforcement agency purchasers.
It depends on the state. In Missouri it is illegal for them to share records for the database 571.101 10 http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stath ... 01011.html

If they link the info to the state database, then they are in violation of the law. Texas will share with other law enforcement agencies, but if the info gets outside of availability to only that realm, then whoever shares it is in violation of the law.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

Taypo wrote:
As someone who visits that neighborhood fairly often, I'll tell you my opinion: just leave em at home. It's not worth it. I don't even take my EDC knives with me.

You're gonna get hassled for the license plates at least once, you'll probably get searched when they do, and they'll inevitably do their best to make sure you don't want to come back.
This is the right answer, short of not going there at all. That's how I handled it. New Hampshire and Vermont are much more sensible, and there is nothing in NY that compels me to go there, even passing through. So, I don't!

Tell them to get a warrant if you are hassled. Maybe that takes the "fun" out of it.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

My condolences on having to travel to New York State. Please drive safely.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

curryman

Post by curryman »

Vol Texan wrote: I think you're asking the wrong question. Don't ask them to store it for you. Instead, ask for a deep cleaning. Tell them you want it cleaned at a level of disassembly that you (as a simple user, not an armorer) can do.

That is flat out the best solution for this I've ever heard.

100 Genius points for you.

Curryman

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Vol Texan wrote:
I think you're asking the wrong question. Don't ask them to store it for you. Instead, ask for a deep cleaning. Tell them you want it cleaned at a level of disassembly that you (as a simple user, not an armorer) can do.

This reminds me of a guy who worked in New York City, and every day would drop his car off at the dealership for an oil change. He said that it was cheaper than parking.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

John Galt wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:

This reminds me of a guy who worked in New York City, and every day would drop his car off at the dealership for an oil change. He said that it was cheaper than parking.
"rlol"
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”