Let's talk knives.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nyj
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Let's talk knives.

Post by nyj »

Most of benchmade's autos are ambidextrous as well.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

WildBill wrote:
nyj wrote:
WildBill wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I carried a Kershaw every once and a while. I was not much a knife guy. I can't find the thread, but I do know it was another Moderator that said if I would carry knife all the time I would find it more useful in most situations.

So I tried to be more consistent and then I bought this Benchmade HK 14850 Epidemic double-action out-the-front switchblade from another Forum member several months ago and I have not had one day that I have not carried it. I have learned that a knife makes your life a little easier. I can't believe it took me sooooo long to catch on to this.

Just yesterday while in East Texas visiting my mom I had to use my knife at her house, Wal Mart, and again at the gas station just for simple things, but would have been difficult without a knife.
I have been considering an automatic knife. Since I am left-handed my choices are limited. It seems that the Epidemic could equally be operated by either hand. Do you prefer an OTF over the standard button-on-the-side mechanism?
WildBill like I said I didn't start carrying one until I bought the Kershaw and I called in a flipper. Not for sure you call it, but it could be operated with your fore finger. The Kershaw's blade was very steady. The OTF has a little play in it. My brother has a Benchmade switchblade that comes out like a folder and it is much more steady. I hope that helps.
Carl - I have a Kershaw "flipper", but it's not an automatic. The handle seems too flat and is not comfortable to hold.

It seems like getting the auto converted you to a part-time knife carry to full-time.

Didn't see this post earlier, but Protech makes left hand specific autos. Made in USA and the quality is superb.
Thanks for the tip. They seem to make only one left-handed model [4 variations]. I can't find one in stock, but have been put on a "waiting list". :thumbs2:
I don't worl for Benchmade, but theirs is universal. You can place the clip in four different areas.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

My carry for dress Bar-B-Cues:

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

C-dub wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:
C-dub wrote:A little Kershaw Shuffle, with me all the time.
That's a nice utility knife, especially with the bottle opener, but I wouldn't recommend it as a self defense knife. On the other hand, I don't really like folders as self defense knifes after doing some practical HTH training.

My EDC is a Spyderco SALT I for reasons treadlightly will understand, but it's a tool first and foremost.
Someone here recommended it and I've been toying with the idea of getting a K-Bar TDI like this.
Reviving this since my new TDI arrived yesterday. It does feel good in my hand. It did not travel alone. Also arriving was a Cold Steel Master Hunter Plus and the John Wayne movie El Dorado. I've been looking for El Dorado for a while and couldn't find it in a store anywhere and ended up looking on amazon. Watched the movie last night. It was good and the wife also liked it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

BobCat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BobCat »

Glad you bumped this thread, I must have missed it before.

OP asked about blade steels. This site http://ajh-knives.com/metals.html describes suitable steels. Enjoy but don't get wrapped around the axle - any "good name" knife you buy will be made of good blade steel.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

C-dub wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:
C-dub wrote:A little Kershaw Shuffle, with me all the time.
That's a nice utility knife, especially with the bottle opener, but I wouldn't recommend it as a self defense knife. On the other hand, I don't really like folders as self defense knifes after doing some practical HTH training.

My EDC is a Spyderco SALT I for reasons treadlightly will understand, but it's a tool first and foremost.
Someone here recommended it and I've been toying with the idea of getting a K-Bar TDI like this.
Reviving this since my new TDI arrived yesterday. It does feel good in my hand. It did not travel alone. Also arriving was a Cold Steel Master Hunter Plus and the John Wayne movie El Dorado. I've been looking for El Dorado for a while and couldn't find it in a store anywhere and ended up looking on amazon. Watched the movie last night. It was good and the wife also liked it.

Is that one of the TDI's with the locking sheath? I looked at the older style but its was entirely too easy to get the knife out of the sheath considering its intended use. I'd read somewhere they redid it, but haven't had a chance to check it out.

sass2924

Post by sass2924 »

I've owned Benchmades and think they are a well made knife and would meet/exceed your needs.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

I have one of the TDI pictured above. I had a special make bolster for it and it works great. I think you will learn to enjoy it.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Someone said they don't like the "tanto style" blades. However, I don't see that shape called out in the Texas Penal Code as being illegal, either. Just sayin'...

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Tanto style blades are not illegal. Disliking them is only a personal choice.

I does not have an actual locking mechanism, but so far it is not easy to get out either. It seems to have a kind of locking system similar to some kydex holsters where a definite click or whatever can be felt when pushing it in its sheath. At this time, I still have to pull with my hand and give a slight push with my thumb on a point designed for that to un-sheath the knife. It may become easier with time, but will have to wait and see.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote:I have one of the TDI pictured above. I had a special make bolster for it and it works great. I think you will learn to enjoy it.
Sounds interesting. I'm not entirely sure I like the sheath it came with yet. Can you elaborate on the one you had made or post a picture of it?

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

If you really want to geek out on knives ad nauseam.....

Check out the various knife playlists https://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy

For a decent edc tactical folder IMHO
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

LSUTiger wrote:If you really want to geek out on knives ad nauseam.....

Check out the various knife playlists https://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy

For a decent edc tactical folder IMHO
I keep watching that guy, hoping he'll stop annoying the heck out of me but it always happens. I know he's popular and I don't think it's anything he's doing wrong, but something about him just grates on me.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

C-dub wrote:Tanto style blades are not illegal. Disliking them is only a personal choice.

I does not have an actual locking mechanism, but so far it is not easy to get out either. It seems to have a kind of locking system similar to some kydex holsters where a definite click or whatever can be felt when pushing it in its sheath. At this time, I still have to pull with my hand and give a slight push with my thumb on a point designed for that to un-sheath the knife. It may become easier with time, but will have to wait and see.
*EDITED FOR CLARITY*

My apologies for not making myself clear as to why I posted that. It truly wasn't a dig at anyone specific, but more at the knife law. There are knives I own that I would like to carry, but due to the shape, they may be construed as being illegal (Baby K-Bar, for instance, could be considered as a "bowie"). However, I have purchased a couple of knives to carry simply because the shape, "tanto", is NOT called out as being illegal, therefore I don't have to worry about that (they also meet the maximum length requirement).
Last edited by K.Mooneyham on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
C-dub wrote:Tanto style blades are not illegal. Disliking them is only a personal choice.

My apologies for not making myself clear as to why I posted that. It truly wasn't a dig at anyone specific, but more at the knife law. There are knives I own that I would like to carry, but due to the shape, they may be construed as being illegal (Baby K-Bar, for instance, could be considered as a "bowie"). However, I have purchased a couple of knives to carry that meet length requirements simply because the shape, being "tanto" is NOT called out as being illegal, therefore I don't have to worry about it.
I apologize, but I don't understand what you mean when you say they meet the length requirements because the shape is not illegal. No matter what the shape or style is, the length still has to be 5.5" or less, right? And then there are other issues regarding whether it is a bowie or double edged or etc.

Return to “Off-Topic”