Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by SewTexas »

VMI77 wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
TXBO wrote:
VMI77 wrote:Massad Ayoob on open carry: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/14/massa ... led-carry/
Concealed Means Concealed

If your local license requires concealed carry, keep the gun truly concealed. The revealing of a concealed handgun is seen in many quarters as a threat, which can result in charges of criminal threatening, brandishing and more. A malevolent person who wants to falsely accuse you of threatening them with a gun will have their wrongful accusation bolstered if the police find you with a gun where they said it was. Yes, that happens. Some jurisdictions allow “open carry.” I support the right to open carry, in the proper time and place, but I have found over the decades that there are relatively few ideal times or places where the practice won’t unnecessarily and predictably frighten someone the carrier had no reason to scare.
Well articulated point by Ayoob.... once again. The rest of his ten commandments are just as compelling if anyone hasn't read them.

when my son was little and I was realizing just how different little boys were from little girls :shock: I really didn't want to be responsible for a heart attack or accident happening so I started repeating
"don't scare the old ladies or the children unnecessarily "
and we learned it's a decent motto.

My my my. :shock: Don't you know that you're no longer allowed to say there are boys and girls, much less that they're different? Calling them boys and girls makes the trans people feel bad. That's some kind of ist or even worse, some kind of ism. Shame on you. :biggrinjester:

that's me, just one big "ist" and "ism" "rlol"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Javier730
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Javier730 »

MeMelYup wrote:
VMI77 wrote:Massad Ayoob on open carry: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/14/massa ... led-carry/

If your local license requires concealed carry, keep the gun truly concealed. The revealing of a concealed handgun is seen in many quarters as a threat, which can result in charges of criminal threatening, brandishing and more. A malevolent person who wants to falsely accuse you of threatening them with a gun will have their wrongful accusation bolstered if the police find you with a gun where they said it was. Yes, that happens. Some jurisdictions allow “open carry.” I support the right to open carry, in the proper time and place, but I have found over the decades that there are relatively few ideal times or places where the practice won’t unnecessarily and predictably frighten someone the carrier had no reason to scare.
My question would be: Why is or would a person be scared if they see someone carrying a holstered firearm? If I see a person carrying a firearm, I alert, observe the body language, then know whether to be concerned or not.
Why would a person be scared of a holstered firearm? Not everyone is as knowledgeable with firearms as the people on this forum. Some people have no clue when it comes to firearms. Firearms are scary to them because the only time they see them is in violent action movies and when the media is talking about shootings and/or an insane gunmen. They see a pistol on the hip or an ar in the low and ready on a young man who is obviously not a police officer and they think about the only thing they see on tv when it comes to firearms.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

MeMelYup wrote:

My question would be: Why is or would a person be scared if they see someone carrying a holstered firearm? If I see a person carrying a firearm, I alert, observe the body language, then know whether to be concerned or not.
Have you taken a look at the sheep wandering the streets these days? Do you really need to ask why they'd be scared when CNN and MSNBC blast anti gun all day long, the chief of Austin PD tells anyone who'll listen how bad CHL holders are and the Moms get an unlimited amount of coverage every time they hold a rally?

There's a reason that Texas CHL holders only account for 3% or so of the population. The vast majority of the 97% can't think for themselves, much less assess a threat and react accordingly. We're the minority for a reason and every time we leave the house armed, the responsibility for NOT scaring the herd falls on us.

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

:iagree:
I'd venture to say that the vast majority of Texans have never seen non-LEO carry a handgun. It will be interesting to see their reaction.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Syntyr »

MeMelYup wrote: My question would be: Why is or would a person be scared if they see someone carrying a holstered firearm? If I see a person carrying a firearm, I alert, observe the body language, then know whether to be concerned or not.
Because you are smart and understand the threat/possible threat and its implications. You have thought ahead and are not unduly alarmed. Congratulations you are a sheepdog.

The sheep are divided into the sheep that don't care and blindly go about their business and there are some that will see your weapon and immediately wet themselves, get all bothered and start bleeting. Then there are the mad mommie vampires who will try to suck the life out of the 2A just because its their goal in life to control the sheepdogs.

I absolutely support OC. In fact I wish OC was so normal that no one batted an eye. Am I naïve enough to think that will happen? Nope. For that reason I will go forth quietly and not disturb the sheep. I don't need the drama. Will I go out of my way to avoid them? No. Will I support Whatabuger? Nope. Just my stance and what I can or cant tolerate. They are a business and have made their decision and I make mine. I wont support them. What's truly sad is that we are here because of two groups of whiney babies the OCT folks and the Mad Mommies.

And that's why we can't have nice things!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

when I was a senior in highschool my boyfriend shot himself. He actually survived. But a part of him changed. A part of me changed. A part of my parents changed. This was in Corpus Christi and it was in the 80's. We didn't get offered counseling back then, my Spanish teacher counseled us, she did her best. His parents blamed me, they couldn't blame themselves and their drinking that had turned him into an alcoholic. Me, I blamed everyone and became terrified of guns, which made me mad. A couple of years later in college I took a marksmanship course, I had a great instructor, who quick understood why and what I was doing and he got someone to work with me for a whole class, I ended the course with an invitation to join the shooting team, probably would have if I'd stayed at the school.

I tell you this story to explain.....there are many reasons why people are afraid of guns. Mostly because they simply don't understand them, sometimes though, it's because of something they've associated with a gun.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

SewTexas wrote:when I was a senior in highschool my boyfriend shot himself. He actually survived. But a part of him changed. A part of me changed. A part of my parents changed. This was in Corpus Christi and it was in the 80's. We didn't get offered counseling back then, my Spanish teacher counseled us, she did her best. His parents blamed me, they couldn't blame themselves and their drinking that had turned him into an alcoholic. Me, I blamed everyone and became terrified of guns, which made me mad. A couple of years later in college I took a marksmanship course, I had a great instructor, who quick understood why and what I was doing and he got someone to work with me for a whole class, I ended the course with an invitation to join the shooting team, probably would have if I'd stayed at the school.

I tell you this story to explain.....there are many reasons why people are afraid of guns. Mostly because they simply don't understand them, sometimes though, it's because of something they've associated with a gun.
o

SewTexas, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that ordeal. I'm sure the scars have healed, and going through such a horrible event is something you never completely get over. Thank you for sharing your story. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

MeMelYup wrote:

That's like asking why some are afraid of a snake when they see one. Not everyone has been exposed to firearms and have no practical knowledge or experience with them.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LDB415 »

That's easy. Because every snake on the planet is deadly poisonous and out to get you. Easier to avoid death by snakebite by adopting that premise.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LDB415 »

You have to wonder just a bit about people worrying over someone wearing Tucker leather. How many street scum wear a full Tucker rig or similar open carrying?
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

LDB415 wrote:You have to wonder just a bit about people worrying over someone wearing Tucker leather. How many street scum wear a full Tucker rig or similar open carrying?
How many people that are scared of guns AND capable of recognizing Tucker's work do you think there are?

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by EEllis »

LDB415 wrote:You have to wonder just a bit about people worrying over someone wearing Tucker leather. How many street scum wear a full Tucker rig or similar open carrying?

You know what I bet there are at least a couple of OTC nutcases who might wear Tucker leather. By the absolutely horrible decision making I've seen from some OTC and TCOTC members I can understand being concerned about being around them OCing.

DUST FOOT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DUST FOOT »

I would like to know how Whataburger handled Oklahoma passing open carry 2 years ago. Whataburger has stores in 10 states, most of those states allowed open carry. Why now? Just because morons with AK's. Sent letter to CEO of Whaterburger by certifed snail mail asking if their policy is for all states or just Texas. As we know there have been no problems with open carry in the other states, so why now? :confused5

jmra

Post by jmra »

cyphertext wrote:
jmra wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Would you eat at a restaurant that was posted 30.06?
No, I said "how I wear my firearm", I can't wear my firearm at a place posted 30.06.
Ok, so what is the difference between you and Richbirdhunter, other than he may be a little more restrictive in the businesses he supports? Has a place that you frequented posted and you quit using their services? Did you let the establishment know why you don't do business there?

:evil2: Just playing devil's advocate here...

For me, if they post and I can get the same goods and services elsewhere, I do. I don't fault those who still shop there, or call them anti-gun. I don't protest. I may send an email letting them know the reason why I no longer choose to do business with them, but I doubt they miss me. Kinda comes back to such a small percentage of CHL licenses holders in Texas. Guess that is why I don't fault WB's decision.
I can't think of a single place that I frequent that has posted a 30.06 sign. I'm sure if my favorite wing place posted I'd be able to find a new favorite wing place. So to answer your question, I don't enter an establishment that is posted 30.06 if I can help it.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

DUST FOOT wrote:Whataburger has stores in 10 states, most of those states allowed open carry. Why now?
Either you or the CEO are mistaken:
"we haven’t allowed the open carry of firearms in our restaurants for a long time"
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”