Ka-bar knives

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Ka-bar knives

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Are they any good? I've got a big survival knife already - a Gerber LMF II - but I've been thinking of picking up a Ka-Bar as a backup "just in case" sort of knife. The thing is, whenever reading the reviews on Ka-bars, it seems like they are very mixed.......with some people saying how superb they are, and others saying that there are serious quality issues with them.

Can anyone tell me if they are worth the going rate? I can get one from massdrop.com for $44.95, including the leather sheath marked "U.S.N."

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ka-bar-mark-1-knife
Since World War II, KA-BAR’s USN Mark I has been among the most widely used knives by American military personnel. Now this fixed-blade knife has received a makeover. With an ergonomically shaped leather handle, the new Mark I offers a better grip than ever before. Meanwhile, the 1095 cro-van steel blade—with a low-profile black finish—is now partially serrated. Included with this American-made knife is a leather sheath, made in Mexico.
They appear to not have the larger hilts of the original GI version, and there is a serration on the blade where there used to be none.

Anyway (and I realize that for $45, I can't really complain about quality on a knife that size), but are these a complete waste of time, or are they a deal?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Ka-bar knives

Post by joe817 »

AndyC wrote:If they're the ones made in Taiwan, I'd stay away from them myself.
:iagree: I had a Ka-Bar Mk1 when I was a kid. WW2 surplus. Carried it a lot, when living out in the country. Good steel, held an edge.

Be aware of the knock offs of the original. Original Ka-bars, made in USA, start at $110.00:

http://www.kabar.com/knives/fixed-blades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW, I'd have an Ek knife before I'd have a Ka-Bar. Just IMO
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

With the number of really good (and really bad) knockoffs floating around, I always buy my knives directly from the source. Obviously I pay a premium for it, but I just don't trust online vendors when it comes to certain things.

J Wilson
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J Wilson »

Presently I have a USMC commemorative in a display case,but the one I had in Viet Nam was good

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

That's a healthy markup when buying direct from KA-BAR. I'd shop around, as long as the manufacturer is KA-BAR you should be good to go. Check model numbers too.

You can even buy them off Amazon from KA-BAR.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

joe817 wrote:
AndyC wrote:If they're the ones made in Taiwan, I'd stay away from them myself.
:iagree: I had a Ka-Bar Mk1 when I was a kid. WW2 surplus. Carried it a lot, when living out in the country. Good steel, held an edge.

Be aware of the knock offs of the original. Original Ka-bars, made in USA, start at $110.00:

http://www.kabar.com/knives/fixed-blades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW, I'd have an Ek knife before I'd have a Ka-Bar. Just IMO
My dad's Kabar from WW2 was still in the family at some point. I think my youngest brother might have it now, but not sure.

joe817, it sounds like you're opinion is that in the $110 price range, there are better knives? My son gave me my Gerber LMF II for Christmas back when he was still in high school. It is a VERY rugged knife, and very well thought out. Back then, they were a fairly new item, and the going price was around $120. But I just bought my wife one a couple of weeks ago from Amazon.com for around $85, so they've come down in price. I suspect that the LMF II is a better all around survival knife than the Kabar by a fair margin, if for no other reason than it has features the Kabar lacks. I was thinking of the Kabar mentioned in my OP as a "throw it in the bottom of the bag and forget about it" kind of thing. At $45, it isn't a large expense. But I don't want to spend $45 on junk. The ad says the knife is made in America (New York), and the sheath is made in Mexico. Personally, I don't much care where it is made if it is well-made. But at $110 from Kabar direct, I can buy 1.3 more Gerber LMF II's from Amazon Prime and skip the shipping cost.

I've never heard of Ek knives. I'll have to check it out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote:If you're going to be spending that amount of money, spend a little more and get another LMF - or a Cold Steel SRK
I just had the same thought. Will look into Cold Steel.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Well, Kabar acquired Ek, and Ek knives are all made by Kabar as of this year: http://www.blademag.com/tactical-knives ... o-knife-co

#TINVOWOOT

joe817

Post by joe817 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:My dad's Kabar from WW2 was still in the family at some point. I think my youngest brother might have it now, but not sure.

joe817, it sounds like you're opinion is that in the $110 price range, there are better knives? My son gave me my Gerber LMF II for Christmas back when he was still in high school. It is a VERY rugged knife, and very well thought out. Back then, they were a fairly new item, and the going price was around $120. But I just bought my wife one a couple of weeks ago from Amazon.com for around $85, so they've come down in price. I suspect that the LMF II is a better all around survival knife than the Kabar by a fair margin, if for no other reason than it has features the Kabar lacks. I was thinking of the Kabar mentioned in my OP as a "throw it in the bottom of the bag and forget about it" kind of thing. At $45, it isn't a large expense. But I don't want to spend $45 on junk. The ad says the knife is made in America (New York), and the sheath is made in Mexico. Personally, I don't much care where it is made if it is well-made. But at $110 from Kabar direct, I can buy 1.3 more Gerber LMF II's from Amazon Prime and skip the shipping cost.

I've never heard of Ek knives. I'll have to check it out.
Not at all TAM. I was trying to(albeit a poor attempt apparently) to compare the $45 knife that you found to the MSRP of $110 on Ka-Bar's website and to be leary of the price differential. IE: the $45 knife was a Ka-Bar style of knife, and maybe it may not be a Ka-Bar manufactured knife. Just a caveat emptor. I'd say that if it's an original Ka-Bar made knife, that's a real deal!

I was aware that Ek was sold to Ka-Bar last year or so, but I would have hoped that Ek would continue to make Ek knives, making it a subsidiary of Ka-Bar. But that's not the case. Ka-bar is now making them.

Ek has a rich history in making combat knives for the military:

http://www.onlyknives.com/category/brand/ek/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was fortunate enough to purchase an Ek Model 4 from Ek at the Dallas Shot Show back in 1996 or so. Bought their sales sample. One good solid fighting knife. Sold it at the TSRA gun show in Mesquite back in 2010. Sure I wish I had it now.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote::iagree:

The model 4 is the one I'd still like; I'm waiting to see how well Ka-Bar does with it. John Ek's son Gary has a FB page full of history (and a few rants).
I see a Model 4 on Amazon for $104.00, but on closer inspection, it appears to have a 6.625" double edged blade. Doesn't that by definition make it an illegal knife in Texas, or am I behind the times?
TPC §46.01
(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
  • (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
Doesn't the double edged blade qualify the Model 4 as a dagger...... legal to own, but not to carry?

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”