US vs Miller, JPFO Site - Review and Comment?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
flowrie
Posts in topic: 2

US vs Miller, JPFO Site - Review and Comment?

Post by flowrie »

I always learn something new. The only thing I am certain about is that I don't know everything.

The http://www.jpfo.org website is a really good site with lots of info buried in it. You have to search.

I read through their discussion of US vs Miller and really learned a few things.

What really strikes me is how "unconstitutional" things have become over the last several decades.

I have posted the link here, perhaps some of the forum members can read and comment?

http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/miller.htm
Last edited by Skiprr on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo correction
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: US vs Miller, JFPO Site - Review and Comment?

Post by Pawpaw »

Your first link and title are incorrect. it's JPFO, not JFPO. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Clear and concise explanation. Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
flowrie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flowrie »

Pawpaw wrote:Your first link and title are incorrect. it's JPFO, not JFPO. :tiphat:
thanks for the correction!
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

jason812

Re: US vs Miller, JPFO Site - Review and Comment?

Post by jason812 »

We need a couple more good judges and send another challenge to the NFA back to the Supreme Court. By the US vs Miller logic, I cannot think of 1 type of firearm that hasn't been used by the military (US or foreign). Thanks to 21st Century warfare, SBR (more like short barreled machineguns) are commonly used. Even the Israelis use the lowly .22 for certain missions.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

In the Heller decision, Scalia pointed out that the Miller court only heard arguments from the government and hinted that Miller was flawed for at least that reason. I fear that the window for a successful challenge to the NFA has closed until there's a Scalia-like appointment to the Supreme Court.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

If Miller was decided today, the whole GCA and NFA would be tossed. At the time, there were few automatics, and they were nearly all crew served machine guns (Tommy gun would be one notable exception, but not really a "standard issue weapon"). There were few SBRs (Again, tommy gun), and I cannot think of a single short barrel shotgun.

Now, the standard issue is a short barrel full auto, suppressors are still mostly for Special Forces, so it would be a stretch for them to be considered to be "in common use" in the armed forces, but the Benelli M4 and mossberg shotguns issued are about equally 14.5" and 18" barrels with some 20" out there.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”