Waco Shootout and OC

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Waco Shootout and OC

Post by thatguyoverthere »

So what effect do you think the Waco shootout is going to have on the chances for getting open carry passed this year?

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Waco Shootout and OC

Post by TVGuy »

Antis might try and put the two together, but I don't think it will have any traction. It's not going to change the minds of any legislators voting for OC.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I also don't think it will effect their decision or thought process.

I thought that it might be illegal to purchase a firearm or to obtain a CHL if a member of a gang, but that only seems to fall under PC46.02 Unlawful Carrying Weapons. Does a MC gang equal street gang as mentioned in 46.02. I would think so, but can see the argument being made for a difference.

Besides, most if not all of those gang members are probably ineligible for CHLs that would prohibit them from legally OCing even if it does pass. As it is, if MC gang does equal street gang, then all of them will illegal weapons were already breaking the law. I know you're all :shock: to hear that. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rogersinsel

Post by rogersinsel »

Why would there be any? A group of gang members are neither likely to or are allowed to lawfully carry concealed a weapon. Now will that stop someone from lying to further their cause...NO. I don't like that it happened, but that is due to the loss of life and not how it make effect anything else. This incident has nothing to do with 2a rights and everything to do with a franchise owner's refusal to cooperate with law enforcement, thereby creating a situation that didn't need to be. Everything else aside, there appears to have been a complete lack of common sense for weeks leading up to this event.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Think Twin Peaks is a 51% establishment so under current law CC is prohibited.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

AF-Odin wrote:Think Twin Peaks is a 51% establishment so under current law CC is prohibited.
Did you look up there licensing info on the TABC site or see their license at the location?

edit:

I finally found it. It was very difficult to get the search to return anything. Sign is Blue. Here is what the TABC website shows.
License #: RM873679

Trade Name: PEAKTASTIC BEVERAGES-WACO
Owner: PEAKTASTIC BEVERAGE LLC
Location Address:
4671 S JACK KULTGEN EXPRESSWAY
WACO , TX 76706-4608
Mailing Address:
18900 DALLAS PKWY STE 125
DALLAS , TX 75287-6922
County: McLennan Orig. Issue Date: 5/29/2014
Wine Percent:
Location Phone No.:
Subordinates: FB,LB
Related To: Gun Sign: BLUE
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

rogersinsel wrote:A group of gang members are neither likely to or are allowed to lawfully carry concealed a weapon.
Nor would they likely openly carry a firearm.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

Your talking motor cycle gangs here. 99% or convicted criminals who have served time. They could care less about laws we abide by. They call themselves 1%rs for a reason. Bad bunch of guys.
Skip Bishop

Topic author
thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I understand that probably most, if not all, of those involved probably are not eligible for a CHL. My concern is not with the lawbreakers, but with the politics.

This episode may give some legislators pause to continue the effort to pass OC, based on the perception of the folks "back home." I agree, any reasonable person should understand that legal OC has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal activity that occurred in Waco. But I would think our elected officials are very sensitive to the "optics" (as the young folk say now) and may be very concerned with how things are perceived by their constituents.

I hope it has no impact. But we live in interesting times.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

thatguyoverthere wrote:I understand that probably most, if not all, of those involved probably are not eligible for a CHL. My concern is not with the lawbreakers, but with the politics.

This episode may give some legislators pause to continue the effort to pass OC, based on the perception of the folks "back home." I agree, any reasonable person should understand that legal OC has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal activity that occurred in Waco. But I would think our elected officials are very sensitive to the "optics" (as the young folk say now) and may be very concerned with how things are perceived by their constituents.

I hope it has no impact. But we live in interesting times.

I think today's Senate State Affairs committee meeting answered your concerns at least partially. I think it will go through now. Just wish some of the other legislation had a chance.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I'm really not a fan of open carry but I'm not against it either. I don't see this event in Waco hampering the passing of the bill. I think it will pass.
Skip Bishop

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Hearing (media) what I believe was LEO testimony against OC based on this incident: Basically that OC would have made this situation much more confusing for the police..

I guess they assume that only bad guys had guns in this situation.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be wearing a black leather vest with patches all over it, a nasty beard and greasy hair and standing around with a gun in my hand. Otherwise, I think the bad guys were pretty obvious.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

cb1000rider wrote:Hearing (media) what I believe was LEO testimony against OC based on this incident: Basically that OC would have made this situation much more confusing for the police..

As I see it, if you open carry, that is a risk you're taking. To me it's basically the same risk as if you just used your CC weapon and the police roll up while you've got a gun in your hand. It's not a reason to not pass OC. For myself I see only very limited benefit to open carry. I'm certainly not going to publicly announce that I'm armed by open carrying everywhere I go. I will probably OC under some specific circumstances such as in the immediate vicinity of my property.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

VMI77 wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:Hearing (media) what I believe was LEO testimony against OC based on this incident: Basically that OC would have made this situation much more confusing for the police..

As I see it, if you open carry, that is a risk you're taking. To me it's basically the same risk as if you just used your CC weapon and the police roll up while you've got a gun in your hand. It's not a reason to not pass OC. For myself I see only very limited benefit to open carry. I'm certainly not going to publicly announce that I'm armed by open carrying everywhere I go. I will probably OC under some specific circumstances such as in the immediate vicinity of my property.
Many years ago as a uniformed officer I "Open Carried". I guarantee that my "S.A." for people behind me and to my gun side was much higher than it is today, as when I now carry almost no one knows I am armed. It was 15 years before some of my family, other than my wife, became cognizant of that fact.

Like you I don't intend to carry that way often, just when it seems appropriate to me.

:coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”