DC mandatory gun registration

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texanjoker

DC mandatory gun registration

Post by texanjoker »

This is concerning. It happens state by state, and jurisdiction by jurisdiction. This needs to be stopped! We had SB23 in CA in the late 90's and you had to register assault weapons. Look where that got them now. All pro gun groups need to fight this.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/12/ ... -firearms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WASHINGTON (CBSDC) — Big changes for gun owners in the nation’s capital will impact tens of thousands of law-abiding citizens, many of whom have no idea the change is coming.

The new requirement for gun owners in the District goes into effect next year and failure to comply could mean jail time.

Starting Jan. 1 all registered gun owners in D.C. must re-register their firearms within 90 days. D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says notices will start going out to gun owners soon.

“Every three years you’ll have to confirm you still live in the District and you still have your firearm.” Lanier tells WNEW.

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DC mandatory gun registration

Post by GlockDude26 »

wow that sucks they'll need to practice saying...." i'm all for following the law but i sold all my guns to make it easier for you...."
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

psijac

Post by psijac »

All 40,000 gun owners should show up on the same day. That will send a nice big message
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Wow. Sad. I especially like the quote from Dick Heller:
“You don’t see criminals registering guns,” Heller said.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

psijac wrote:All 40,000 gun owners should show up on the same day. That will send a nice big message
I don't think any of them should show up.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

jmra wrote:
psijac wrote:All 40,000 gun owners should show up on the same day. That will send a nice big message
I don't think any of them should show up.
:iagree: , ever
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

There is hope though for D.C. gun owners. Dick Heller, the lead plaintiff in the 2008 case, District of Columbia v. Heller, which overturned the district’s ban on handguns, has filed another lawsuit with the help of his attorneys arguing that new registration requirement violates one’s constitutional rights to keep and bear arms.

“These burdensome requirements appear calculated to discourage persons from registering firearms at all and, for those who do so, to snare them with expiration and re-registration deadlines that, if missed, would turn them into criminals,” states the 50-page brief that was filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia last week.
http://www.guns.com/2013/12/18/d-c-re-r ... n-1-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

Voter id laws are too much of a burden for the population but apparently gun registration is acceptable. I wonder if you need to bring a photo id or voter registration certificate when you register your gun.

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

gthaustex wrote:Wow. Sad. I especially like the quote from Dick Heller:
“You don’t see criminals registering guns,” Heller said.
When caught they are "always on the way"

G0C

Post by G0C »

I'm getting to the point where i think people who sign up might deserve what they signed up for.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

There we were, in the middle of the lake... errr, Potomac River.... when.... BOOM, the boat tipped over and.....
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

:iagree:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Wow there are actual legal guns in DC.

Since they have all this data, maybe they could do a statistic on how many of them are involved in crimes in the city each year.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

philip964 wrote:Since they have all this data, maybe they could do a statistic on how many of them are involved in crimes in the city each year.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”