Debate in college class over CHL carrying in the class room

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
swc007
Posts in topic: 2

Debate in college class over CHL carrying in the class room

Post by swc007 »

I usually don't speak in class often because im not big on debating BUT i heard people saying the dumbest things so i had to set it straight.. :smash: My teacher is against having guns in the class and for some reason wanted our opinion on it... one girl said "i dont want people flashing guns in here trying to act cool"(i shook my head) Followed by raising my hand lol... Told them that that class wouldn't change one bit if CHL carriers were aloud to conceal guns in class.... FIRST because they arent allowed to show that they have a weapon BECAUSE that would completely defeat the purpose of concealment and its breaking the law... i also told them what someone on this forum told me "what is the difference between a class room and a movie theater" because we are allowed to carry at the movies as long as 30.06 isn't posted... Basically after that no one said anything because they all had not a clue what they were talking about AND THANKS TO THIS FORUM AND MY CHL INSTRUCTOR!!!! i stopped em dead in tracks haha... 1 point for the home team!!!! :smilelol5: "rlol" :woohoo :anamatedbanana :thewave

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Debate in college class over CHL carrying in the class r

Post by Crossfire »

You rock!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Ditto

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Good job. When the question resurfaces, and it will, you might also ask about the difference between a classroom and a church? :txflag:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Oldgringo wrote:Good job. When the question resurfaces, and it will, you might also ask about the difference between a classroom and a church? :txflag:
Not much; people fall asleep in both. :yawn :lol::

And to the OP, great job. The more people are presented with level-headed facts on CHL's, the more they will see that they are surrounded by us everyday and never even know it. (That sounds almost like a line from Men In Black. LOL)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Guns at school .... good article "Harrold Independent School District Marks Year Of Guns In Schools" > http://onemansthoughts.wordpress.com/20 ... n-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Keith B wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Good job. When the question resurfaces, and it will, you might also ask about the difference between a classroom and a church? :txflag:
Not much; people fall asleep in both. :yawn :lol::

And to the OP, great job. The more people are presented with level-headed facts on CHL's, the more they will see that they are surrounded by us everyday and never even know it. (That sounds almost like a line from Men In Black. LOL)
:iagree:

Douva

Post by Douva »

swc007 wrote:I usually don't speak in class often because im not big on debating BUT i heard people saying the dumbest things so i had to set it straight.. :smash: My teacher is against having guns in the class and for some reason wanted our opinion on it... one girl said "i dont want people flashing guns in here trying to act cool"(i shook my head) Followed by raising my hand lol... Told them that that class wouldn't change one bit if CHL carriers were aloud to conceal guns in class.... FIRST because they arent allowed to show that they have a weapon BECAUSE that would completely defeat the purpose of concealment and its breaking the law... i also told them what someone on this forum told me "what is the difference between a class room and a movie theater" because we are allowed to carry at the movies as long as 30.06 isn't posted... Basically after that no one said anything because they all had not a clue what they were talking about AND THANKS TO THIS FORUM AND MY CHL INSTRUCTOR!!!! i stopped em dead in tracks haha... 1 point for the home team!!!! :smilelol5: "rlol" :woohoo :anamatedbanana :thewave
Here are a few fun factoids you can use the next time the topic comes up:

http://www.campuscarry.com/pdf/tx_sccc_ ... pdf#page=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The current version of the handbook is about 13 months old, so some of the information is a little out of date (i.e., the current rate of concealed handgun licensure in Texas is about 1.6%, or 1 person out of every 62). An updated version of the handbook should be out in November.

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

All I can think of is Kelso from That 70's Show yelling out "BURN!!!" for putting them in their place.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good job brother! Keep spreading the good word and educating those who are ignorant to the facts and laws.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

psijac

Post by psijac »

RPB wrote:Guns at school .... good article "Harrold Independent School District Marks Year Of Guns In Schools" > http://onemansthoughts.wordpress.com/20 ... n-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this article is over a year old meaning its been 2 years now without incident at Harrold ISD :clapping:
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

terryg

Post by terryg »

RPB wrote:Guns at school .... good article "Harrold Independent School District Marks Year Of Guns In Schools" > http://onemansthoughts.wordpress.com/20 ... n-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, that's cool - I had not heard about this. How were they able to get around the state-law?
... this space intentionally left blank ...

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

terryg wrote:
Wow, that's cool - I had not heard about this. How were they able to get around the state-law?

Without checking the Texas Education Code, I assume that Harrold ISD figured there was no need to "get around" State Law because State law, 46.03 Penal Code says "unless" In other words, State Law allows Each School District or Educational Institution to decide for themselves (Much like the State allows each Church do decide for itself. Texas treats its residents as if they were "grown ups" and allows them to decide to protect their kids and families, or just call them victims l;ater)
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

I ain't (contraction of Am Not, as opposed to aren't or ha'nt or hasn't or other contraction ) a lawyer.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RPB wrote:
terryg wrote:

Without checking the Texas Education Code, I assume that Harrold ISD figured there was no need to "get around" State Law because State law, 46.03 Penal Code says "unless" In other words, State Law allows Each School District or Educational Institution to decide for themselves (Much like the State allows each Church do decide for itself. Texas treats its residents as if they were "grown ups" and allows them to decide to protect their kids and families, or just call them victims l;ater)
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

I ain't (contraction of Am Not, as opposed to aren't or ha'nt or hasn't or other contraction ) a lawyer.
Exactly! The school decided the teachers could. But, even a parent could carry if he or she had permission from the school's principal or the district itself. I don't think that district went that far, though, yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

C-dub wrote:
RPB wrote:
terryg wrote:

Exactly! The school decided the teachers could. But, even a parent could carry if he or she had permission from the school's principal or the district itself. I don't think that district went that far, though, yet.
In that part of Texas it probably doesn't even occur to them to question legal carry. This is like a glowing ember in a sea of darkness...it needs to spread.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”