6 Year Old Girl Groped By TSA

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 14

Re: 6 Year Old Girl Groped By TSA

Post by WildBill »

gigag04 wrote:
Pug wrote:It appears to be little more than an arrogant employee, poorly trained, "exerting her authority" for the humiliation of the child, the provocation of the mother, and the attention of the camera. Absolutely unforgivable idiocy.
:totap:
Couldn't disagree with you more. The TSA employee was courteous and explaining the procedure while doing her job. If the computer picked a 6 yo for a random pat search, than that's that. Change the process, but don't start coming after the lady for doing her job. She was professional and polite while caught in a potentially messy situation.
:iagree: IMO, the child was not humiliated. In fact, she looked like she was enjoying the attention. FWIW, I did not see any "groping" going on.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 22

Post by VMI77 »

jmra wrote:First I will apologize for lumping you into the Brady bunch as it is counterproductive to civil discussion and my wife said I need to play nice. :biggrinjester:

I believe that whoever included "groped" in the YouTube title did it to intentionally incite an emotional response by suggesting that the girl had been somehow violated. It is this tactic that I was comparing to the tactics used by the Brady Bunch.

Do I like the pat downs? No. However, by purchase of the plane tickets, the parents of this child consented to this behavior before they ever arrived at the airport.

Would I like to see changes? You bet! But I would like to see those changes made without resorting to the methods used by the person who posted the video on YouTube - with a misleading title and what I consider the intential use of a scare tactic to incite a virtual mob.

I guess I find the Brady Bunch remark more amusing in this context than insulting; especially since you've explained the basis for the remark and I don't deny that the term "groped" has the connotation you say it does. Like I said, I considered not using it for that reason, but ultimately decided the term is not entirely without merit when applied to a search conducted in this manner on a six year old child. The distinction you're making is unlikely to be understood by a six year old, or a four year old.

I'm not even arguing against pat downs, if they make sense, but this particular search is obviously pointless. No one can credibly contend that this little girl is a security threat. What's at work here is left-wing ideology, not security. Ascribing the best possible motives to the TSA the search is purely intended to serve the political purpose of demonstrating that everyone is considered to be an equal security threat, and that is both stupid and counterproductive. But I'm not inclined to ascribe the best motives. I think that at the highest level the implementation of this search regime is also a deliberate attempt at conditioning. The evidence for this is circumstantial, but as they keep expanding these searches to other venues and expressing their intention to expand them ever further, it's difficult for me to believe that conditioning isn't one of the motives.

As I address in another comment, I don't accept your concept of consent. I may be compelled to fly for any number of reasons. By your concept of consent, if the government said it feared terrorist attacks on grocery stores and required people entering them to accept random searches, I'd be giving my consent by purchasing food, since I could order it from Amazon, or eat at Taco Bell, or grow my own, if I don't want to be frisked. The big problem with this concept is that the logic that justifies these searches can be extended to justify searching just about anyone, anyplace, and anytime. The Constitution, by contrast, limits searches based on the concept of probable cause. Airports have escaped this standard with what I consider to be a bogus exception, but now that they're conducting these searches in train stations, it should be obvious that the Fourth Amendment is under attack.

Finally, as I said before, I don't know that I can consider the terminology a "scare tactic" even if I concede it is inaccurate or inflammatory. I can handle a pat down even if I don't like it but I'd be afraid to fly if I had my six year old child with me. I'm afraid to fly with my wife. My wife is a very private person. She doesn't even like being examined by the doctor, in private. I can easily conceive of circumstances that might cause her to react to being frisked in a way that forces me to her defense. Think about it --stressful circumstances, insensitive remarks by TSA personnel (not exactly unknown), vigorous public pat down that she finds humiliating, ensuing verbal exchange, escalation, and my intervention on behalf of my life's partner. If we had a six year old child or grandchild with us that was subjected to a search like this and started crying or screaming for mommy I can predict that my wife's reaction is unlikely to be calm, and hence, I would probably find myself quickly in trouble.

Maybe nothing would happen, my wife might be in the best possible mood, and the TSA personnel might be respectful and professional. However, how people react to things like this can be unpredictable and the consequences of the wrong reaction could be life altering, so yeah, I am scared to fly with small children or my wife, and I intend to stay away from air travel unless I have no other choice.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

WildBill wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Pug wrote:It appears to be little more than an arrogant employee, poorly trained, "exerting her authority" for the humiliation of the child, the provocation of the mother, and the attention of the camera. Absolutely unforgivable idiocy.
Couldn't disagree with you more. The TSA employee was courteous and explaining the procedure while doing her job. If the computer picked a 6 yo for a random pat search, than that's that. Change the process, but don't start coming after the lady for doing her job. She was professional and polite while caught in a potentially messy situation.
:iagree: IMO, the child was not humiliated. In fact, she looked like she was enjoying the attention. FWIW, I did not see any "groping" going on.
According to the parents, she felt like she must have done something wrong to warrant being searched like that, and cried afterward.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

Topic author
VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

hombre gris wrote:
jmra wrote:I may not agree with the pat downs but I also did not see how anyone could say that the girl was "groped". Pat downs are wrong, but saying this girl was groped is no different than the Brady Bunch calling an AR an automatic assault rifle. It simply isn't true.

Let's make sure we aren't using the same scare tactics that we accuse others of using.
CNN reported this morning that the girl went through the X-ray back scatter machine and it showed some anomaly, hence the pat down. I'll give the TSA agent credit, she explained the process to the mother, made sure she was in a position to observe and explained what she was doing throughout the process. I can't imagine that was a very pleasant experience for her either.

I don't like the screening and believe it is all security theater, but I'm not going to bash those how have to carry out their job. I find myself having to do things I find unpleasant and don't agree with in my job at least weekly.

May be true. But it also may be an excuse the higher ups concocted after it went public to justify what is obviously absurd. I'm highly suspicious when people with an incentive to lie use terms like "some anomaly."

zero4o3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by zero4o3 »

gigag04 wrote:
:iagree: The agent did the best she could given the situation.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

VMI77 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
According to the parents, she felt like she must have done something wrong to warrant being searched like that, and cried afterward.
If she did, I believe it was because of the parents reactions, not because of what the TSA employee did.

Have you ever seen a child who was playing and got hurt [not seriously injured] by falling down? They pick themselves up and they look around. It isn't until they get back to the parents that they start crying. Then the parents make a fuss and give the child attention and say "poor baby".
NRA Endowment Member

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

WildBill wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Yes, it looks like she's learned her lesson to comply readily with whatever a government employee asks of you.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

hirundo82 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Yes, it looks like she's learned her lesson to comply readily with whatever a government employee asks of you.
She is too young to give consent. If there was an issue that is the responsibility of the parent.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

WildBill wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
If she did, I believe it was because of the parents reactions, not because of what the TSA employee did.

Have you ever seen a child who was playing and got hurt [not seriously injured] by falling down? They pick themselves up and they look around. It isn't until they get back to the parents that they start crying.

Of course, we can believe what we want, but since all we saw is a short video, and know virtually nothing else by which we can interpret the girl's reaction, during, or after, it is just that: a belief we choose to make based on our own background and personal assumptions. Yes, children can cry manipulatively, or their tears can be an honest expression of physical or emotional pain. At the risk of sounding sexist, I've heard from those with daughters that little girls can be particularly manipulative in this way. However, I don't interpret the video as you do, and I don't have enough information to make a judgment either way.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

VMI77 wrote:Of course, we can believe what we want, but since all we saw is a short video, and know virtually nothing else by which we can interpret the girl's reaction, during, or after, it is just that: a belief we choose to make based on our own background and personal assumptions. Yes, children can cry manipulatively, or their tears can be an honest expression of physical or emotional pain. At the risk of sounding sexist, I've heard from those with daughters that little girls can be particularly manipulative in this way. However, I don't interpret the video as you do, and I don't have enough information to make a judgment either way.
:tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
She is too young to give consent. If there was an issue that is the responsibility of the parent.
Another WINNER and another e-cigar for WildBill! :clapping:

The parents should have prepared her for this life altering experience as well as begin to prepare her for the next bumps in life's road she is bound to see.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:Another WINNER and another e-cigar for WildBill! :clapping:

The parents should have prepared her for this life altering experience as well as begin to prepare her for the next bumps in life's road she is bound to see.
I am getting worried about my health, smoking all these e-cigars and drinking all this e-whisky. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Another WINNER and another e-cigar for WildBill! :clapping:

I am getting worried about my health, smoking all these e-cigars and drinking all this e-whisky. :mrgreen:
You don't have to enjoy them all in one sitting. Save some for rainy days and cold nights...in about 8 months.

Er..uh, I noticed that you spelled "whisky" without an "e". Do you prefer e-scotch?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:Er..uh, I noticed that you spelled "whisky" without an "e". Do you prefer e-scotch?
:thumbs2: e-scotch aged in real years.
NRA Endowment Member

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

WildBill wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Whatever happened to teaching your child to scream "No!" and run away if an adult tries to touch them inappropriately? I'd pay money to see a child do that to a TSA officer.
Last edited by hirundo82 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”