University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns on c

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by WildBill »

UTMacGuy wrote:Maybe he's leaving because of Campus Carry - maybe not. In my opinion, I think it's more the UT President is cleaning house to put people he wants into key places and Fritz Steiner knew he was on the chopping block so he's trying to make a public statement. Otherwise, for him to leave UT for non-factual data showing Campus Carry would be a real threat shows how irrational people can be.
Very interesting perspective. Thanks for posting. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Re: University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns

Post by Jusme »

UTMacGuy wrote:Maybe he's leaving because of Campus Carry - maybe not. In my opinion, I think it's more the UT President is cleaning house to put people he wants into key places and Fritz Steiner knew he was on the chopping block so he's trying to make a public statement. Otherwise, for him to leave UT for non-factual data showing Campus Carry would be a real threat shows how irrational people can be.

As for me, I've worked for UT for 25 years and I do plan to carry once the law takes effect and I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many people at UT already have a concealed handgun license.

Here are some excerpts from emails I've received from Gregory L. Fenves:

After a very thorough national search, I write to let the campus know that Jay Bernhardt will become permanent dean of the Moody College of Communication, effective March 1. Jay's leadership as interim dean, combined with the search committee's strong consensus and feedback from Moody faculty and staff, made it clear that he was the top choice for the deanship.

I am pleased to write you today with an announcement that after an extensive national search, Mr. Darrell Bazzell will join UT Austin as senior vice president and chief financial officer. Currently the vice chancellor for finance and administration at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Darrell has approximately 13 years of experience as CFO at a top-ranked flagship public university and 31 years in state government. His appointment at UT is effective April 18.

In my State of the University address in September, I said that UT has the ability to achieve a new level of undergraduate education at a research university, building on the university’s record of educational transformation. To help achieve that goal, I have appointed Dr. Jamie Pennebaker to lead that effort as the Executive Director of Project 2021 and Special Advisor to the Provost for Educational Innovation. He begins this new appointment immediately.

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Maurie McInnis of the University of Virginia has accepted my offer to serve as UT's new executive vice president and provost. Dr. McInnis was clearly the top candidate in an extensive national search. She begins her appointment as provost-designate immediately and assumes the role of provost July 1, 2016.

I am pleased to share with you that Jay Hartzell, the Trammell Crow Regents Professor in Business, has accepted my offer to become the new dean of the McCombs School of Business. His appointment begins Feb. 1, 2016, and he will hold the Centennial Chair in Business Education Leadership.

I write to inform you that Angela Evans has accepted my offer to serve as the new dean of the LBJ School of Public Affairs. Her appointment begins Jan. 16, 2016. As dean, Angela will be a fellow of the J.J. "Jake" Pickle Regents Chair in Public Affairs.

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Daniel Jaffe has accepted my offer to become UT's vice president for research. He will begin his appointment January 16, 2016.

Kinda puts to bed the argument that they won't be able to find people willing to work at UT because of all of the "gun nuts" on campus.
Thanks for posting it's good to know that not everyone there is so irrational.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baldeagle »

I'd bet money that U of Penn recruited him for the Dean's position, and he would have taken it whether campus carry passed or not. He came from there, and obviously the Dean position is a step up in pay. I doubt seriously campus carry had anything to do with it, but like any typical liberal, he wants to politicize the situation as much as he can.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VoiceofReason »

Who cares?
Last edited by VoiceofReason on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Good riddance.
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

Jusme wrote:I guess I'm confused, doesn't everyone who works for UT have the right to resign? Are they being held prisoner? If everyone else is so concerned with the new law, which will allow a very small minority of students, and faculty to carry concealed firearms, why isn't there a mass exodus from Austin? I seriously doubt, that the University will have any difficulty in filling all of the vacancies. Utah is one state where there has been campus carry for years, I'll bet UT pays better than any of the colleges and universities there, those professors have been around armed students and have survived up till now, maybe they would like to move to a warmer climate. :tiphat:
It probably has a lot to do with loss of tenure. Faculty with tenure are very difficult to fire. If they leave, they'd likely need to wait a certain period of time before they were eligible for tenure at the new school. And if they teach in a field that has low demand, they might not be so easy to find a new gig.

rentz

Post by rentz »

DevilDawg wrote:Bye Felica
this has become one of my favorite meme's

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

MikeyJ wrote:
Jusme wrote:I guess I'm confused, doesn't everyone who works for UT have the right to resign? Are they being held prisoner? If everyone else is so concerned with the new law, which will allow a very small minority of students, and faculty to carry concealed firearms, why isn't there a mass exodus from Austin? I seriously doubt, that the University will have any difficulty in filling all of the vacancies. Utah is one state where there has been campus carry for years, I'll bet UT pays better than any of the colleges and universities there, those professors have been around armed students and have survived up till now, maybe they would like to move to a warmer climate. :tiphat:
It probably has a lot to do with loss of tenure. Faculty with tenure are very difficult to fire. If they leave, they'd likely need to wait a certain period of time before they were eligible for tenure at the new school. And if they teach in a field that has low demand, they might not be so easy to find a new gig.

That may be true, but they aren't saying "we don't like guns we won't carry one" They are saying "we don't like guns and because we are smarter than everyone else, we don't want the people that pay our salaries (students) to have guns" And now that one has found a job (tenure or no) he is using his departure as some kind of political statement, about a law that was duly passed by our elected legislators.

The e-mail posted by UTMacGuy, seems to indicate that if they do leave there are plenty of people out there willing to take their place. These professors seem to think that their position somehow lifts them above everyone else, but they are sadly mistaken. Also if they teach in a field that is low demand, why is there a job for them anyway? The laws of supply and demand should apply to college courses as much as any job I have ever held.

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 9

Post by sugar land dave »

JALLEN wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:It seems like a bit of a misrepresentation to me though that is just my opinion based on the following link which talks of him joining the University of Pennsylvania in July.:

http://www.thedp.com/article/2016/02/new-design-dean

Some can fool the young and willing journalists, but most of us seasoned folks see through statements of convenience.
The story was dated yesterday and speaks of him becoming Dean this July. It seems to be roughly concurrent with news that he is leaving UT to become Dean in PA. What is misrepresented?
Derive from all the possible permutations of this occurance and perhaps a similar opinion will coalesce for you. I did state that it was my formed opinion and insinuated that journalists and the young might color it a differnet way.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

SCC just posted a PDF containing a bunch of press releases. The most recent one kind of touches on this.

http://is.gd/pqWGth

EDITED TO FIX THE BROKEN LINK.
Last edited by Bladed on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NotRPB »

Got curious where the "New Hires" were from...
Jusme wrote:

As for me, I've worked for UT for 25 years and I do plan to carry once the law takes effect and I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many people at UT already have a concealed handgun license.

Here are some excerpts from emails I've received from Gregory L. Fenves:

After a very thorough national search, I write to let the campus know that Jay Bernhardt will become permanent dean of the Moody College of Communication, effective March 1. Jay's leadership as interim dean, combined with the search committee's strong consensus and feedback from Moody faculty and staff, made it clear that he was the top choice for the deanship.

I am pleased to write you today with an announcement that after an extensive national search, Mr. Darrell Bazzell will join UT Austin as senior vice president and chief financial officer. Currently the vice chancellor for finance and administration at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Darrell has approximately 13 years of experience as CFO at a top-ranked flagship public university and 31 years in state government. His appointment at UT is effective April 18.
http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Wis ... 68622.html
December 29, 2015---3:29 p.m.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Assembly Speaker Robin Vos says a bill allowing concealed weapons in college buildings probably won't get a vote before the legislation session ends early next year.
Rep. Jesse Kremer and Sen. Devin LaMahieu introduced the bill days after a gunman killed nine people at a community college in Oregon.

Currently people can carry concealed weapons on college campuses but can't bring them into classrooms or stadiums.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- The University of Wisconsin-Madison alumni group has sent an email to parents of current students telling them how to lobby on a bill that would allow concealed weapons in campus building.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 6ee22.html
Campus Carry: GOP lawmakers want to allow concealed weapons in public college buildings
License holders can (already)carry guns on the grounds of public colleges and universities under the 2011 law, but those institutions are allowed to ban weapons inside campus buildings.
In my State of the University address in September, I said that UT has the ability to achieve a new level of undergraduate education at a research university, building on the university’s record of educational transformation. To help achieve that goal, I have appointed Dr. Jamie Pennebaker to lead that effort as the Executive Director of Project 2021 and Special Advisor to the Provost for Educational Innovation. He begins this new appointment immediately.

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Maurie McInnis of the University of Virginia has accepted my offer to serve as UT's new executive vice president and provost. Dr. McInnis was clearly the top candidate in an extensive national search. She begins her appointment as provost-designate immediately and assumes the role of provost July 1, 2016.
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/20 ... fter-hours
Feb 06 2015 Virginia Senate strikes down law to allow concealed carry on school property
http://uvamagazine.org/articles/univers ... ohibition/
2011 article- University upgrades gun prohibition
February 2, 2016
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/20 ... on-grounds
House Bill 79, which would permit concealed carry for faculty members at all public colleges in Virginia,
Bil Allowing faculty members to obtain concealed carry permits
I am pleased to share with you that Jay Hartzell, the Trammell Crow Regents Professor in Business, has accepted my offer to become the new dean of the McCombs School of Business. His appointment begins Feb. 1, 2016, and he will hold the Centennial Chair in Business Education Leadership.

I write to inform you that Angela Evans has accepted my offer to serve as the new dean of the LBJ School of Public Affairs. Her appointment begins Jan. 16, 2016. As dean, Angela will be a fellow of the J.J. "Jake" Pickle Regents Chair in Public Affairs.

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Daniel Jaffe has accepted my offer to become UT's vice president for research. He will begin his appointment January 16, 2016.

Kinda puts to bed the argument that they won't be able to find people willing to work at UT because of all of the "gun nuts" on campus.
Thanks for posting it's good to know that not everyone there is so irrational.
:iagree: Looks like "qualified" sensible professors are coming from where guns are banned inside buildings, (EVEN FOR JUST FACULTY MEMBERS ONLY for defense from students or non-student intruders) TO a State allowing self-defense, where irrational professors leave due to irrational fears controlling their lives like they'd be scared to enter the water at Galveston if they are irrationally skeered of crab bites
SOUNDS GOOD !!!

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

Frustrating to see how the media slants the language to portray an inaccurate picture of what's going on: "....new policy allowing guns on campus." Nothing about license holders, carrying into buildings, etc. Just "allowing guns on campus."
-Ruark

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Ruark wrote:Frustrating to see how the media slants the language to portray an inaccurate picture of what's going on: "....new policy allowing guns on campus." Nothing about license holders, carrying into buildings, etc. Just "allowing guns on campus."

Yeah it's the new crop of enrollees. 9mm, 45acp, 380, 357,and 44 mag they will all be coming in and signing up for classes. It's about time, equal education for firearms no more separate but equal. "rlol"

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VoiceofReason »

Bladed wrote:SCC just posted a PDF containing a bunch of press releases. The most recent one kind of touches on this.

http://is.gd/pqWGth

The last paragraph of the most recent release sums the whole argument up nicely.

"When a member of a hate group bombs a house of worship, society doesn't blame the worshipers for scaring the attacker to the point of violence; we blame the fearmongers and hate speakers who taught the attacker to fear and hate what he doesn't understand. Neither Texas's new campus carry law, the legislators who passed it, nor the activists who pushed it are responsible for the actions of professors overwhelmed by unjustified fear. Intellectually, these professors are no different than someone whose actions are defined by an irrational fear of sharks, witchcraft, or vaccines. We can pity them for their inability to function rationally, but we must not acquiesce to their phobic delusions."
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”