One problem/issue if licensed OC passes

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mr1337
Posts in topic: 6

Re: One problem/issue if licensed OC passes

Post by mr1337 »

What I'm most concerned about is that a lot of anti-gunners advocate for enacting violence against open carriers and claiming they feared for their lives.

I don't know if any of them would have the guts to actually go through with it, it's just disturbing that these people who claim to be against gun violence are suggesting inciting it.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

In the states that permit O.C. of a handgun, what percentage of the population O.C.?

I'm guessing the percentage is small.

Of course, I've no anxiety regarding potential O.C. associated problems as I won't be doing so even if it's legally permitted. Yes, I know I can do so on my own property, but have no interest in doing so.

I'm guessing that once the novelty of legal O.C. passes, relatively few will do so...

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd feel a bit embarrassed (as in being a show off) to O.C., but that's me.

Concealed carry works just fine for me.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mr1337 »

Abraham wrote:Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd feel a bit embarrassed (as in being a show off) to O.C., but that's me.
I can definitely relate. I'm not a showy kind of person either, and I don't like making other people uncomfortable.

I'll never know until it passes though. I could try OC a few times and find that everyone is oblivious to it. Of course I'm not going to OC all the time. It will be a small minority of the time, if any at all. I think the times I will OC the most will be when camping or hiking.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Abraham wrote:...I'm guessing that once the novelty of legal O.C. passes, relatively few will do so...

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd feel a bit embarrassed (as in being a show off) to O.C., but that's me.

Concealed carry works just fine for me.
I suspect the opposite Abraham, that as more & more individuals open-carry many of the rest of us will be emboldened to do the same. But I won't be one of the "early adopters" in this case either.

I intend to CC but will be glad to know that if I accidentally expose somehow then OC laws should protect me.

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A-R »

Jaguar wrote:The way I see it, cops can request ID from anyone but usually that person doesn't have to provide it (see PC section 38.02). However, if you are carrying openly they can still demand your ID, and now you have to show it or you will be in violation of 411.205. Can't beat that rap or ride.

IANAL
Fixed it for ya

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

mr1337 wrote:What I'm most concerned about is that a lot of anti-gunners advocate for enacting violence against open carriers and claiming they feared for their lives.
I don't know if any of them would have the guts to actually go through with it, it's just disturbing that these people who claim to be against gun violence are suggesting inciting it.
Can you provide a reference to anyone who is legitimately suggesting that people attack OCers on sight?

To me, this sort of fear is the same sort of stuff spun up by the "antis" - there will be blood in the streets, everyone wearing a gun belt, massive gun violence..... I just say - tell me what you see in Oklahoma... The answer is business as usual.
Last edited by cb1000rider on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

A-R wrote:
Jaguar wrote:The way I see it, cops can request ID from anyone but usually that person doesn't have to provide it (see PC section 38.02). However, if you are carrying openly they can still demand your ID, and now you have to show it or you will be in violation of 411.205. Can't beat that rap or ride.

IANAL
Fixed it for ya
Except there's no "ride" for 411.205 violation unless they chose to take you in for 46.02 after not producing (C)HL. Interestingly, since your "(C)HL" is not ID, 411.205 directs you to produce both. What if you prove you're licensed by producing non-ID (C)HL, but refuse to produce ID/DL? :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasCajun »

ScottDLS wrote:
A-R wrote:

IANAL
Fixed it for ya
Except there's no "ride" for 411.205 violation unless they chose to take you in for 46.02 after not producing (C)HL. Interestingly, since your "(C)HL" is not ID, 411.205 directs you to produce both. What if you prove you're licensed by producing non-ID (C)HL, but refuse to produce ID/DL? :rules:
Your CHL is a valid form of ID.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

TexasCajun wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
A-R wrote:

IANAL
Fixed it for ya
Only for voting. Otherwise why make you produce Texas ID/DL? Also, I believe that is not (technically) compliant with REAL ID Act (Federal) for ID purposes. That's why TSA may or may not accept.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

A really interesting and informative discussion. Would it be far fetched to think after a while when folks get use to seeing open carry police will be doing less ID checks? I can see them doing more profiling type checks maybe. If you're dressed like a gang banger for example. Or if you're acting awkward and suspicious.
I think we should just do what the officers ask and not worry to much about it. From what I've read and heard most CHL holders will continue to carry concealed in populated areas anyway. Initially it's certainly going to be interesting. Let's just hope a few idiots don't mess it up for the rest of us. I foresee gun and holster retention being a future problem if it's not required initially. Just my feeling is all. Only time will tell.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Have classes for quite a few Winter Texans each year in fall and winter (We finally had one) over the last number of years.
I have asked the question of those that live in the states that have open Carry

Responses are "Never saw any one OC" or "Yeah out in the small towns occasionally" Or "Do we have open Carry In"???
My feeling is the attention getters wil stop when they see no one notices or they get snickered at. :lol: :lol:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

A-R wrote:

IANAL
Fixed it for ya
Not sure it needed fixing. :tiphat:

"GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE - If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license."

ETA - I'm sure a "contempt of cop" charge could be leveled. Disorderly conduct, impeding an official investigation, etc.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

ScottDLS wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
A-R wrote:

IANAL
Fixed it for ya
Only for voting. Otherwise why make you produce Texas ID/DL? Also, I believe that is not (technically) compliant with REAL ID Act (Federal) for ID purposes. That's why TSA may or may not accept.
Who is 'TSA' you're referring to? Just curious.
Life is good.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

this just popped in my head this morning..... I am right handed, i carry on my right side..... wallet is in the back right pocket..... open carrying.... stopped by a LEO and asked for ID.... reach back with right hand to get wallet.... LEO sees hand going towards weapon... ??????
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Carry your wallet on the opposite side of your gun.

Easy.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”