Made in America

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

For a little higher cost, would you purchase 'Made in America' items exclusively?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 123

Bart
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Made in America

Post by Bart »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The Japanese manufacturers got their foot in the door in the U.S. by offering more economical products with superior quality and reliability at that price point. The Big Three had taken the American consumer for granted for far too long, and it pretty much caught up with them. I remember when it became common knowledge that all three practiced an obsolescence cycle of only 6 years. I remember thinking that was highway robbery. You buy the second most expensive purchase of your life, and the builder PLANNED for it to only last 6 years? That's when I quit giving a rip what happened to the Big Three.
:thumbs2:

Add in the fact that semi-skilled workers with high school diplomas thought they were entitled to a suburban house plus a vacation house, a boat and/or other toys, just because they had a union card. You can forgive college graduates who couldn't afford a boat or second home for buying higher quality foreign cars at a lower price and not feeling an ounce of guilt. The UAW and Big Three chose to price themselves out of the market, with predictable results.

The realities of the global economy have finally hit America. A semi-literate man with no job skills is competing against third world workers with similar education and skills, so maybe they should expect to have a similar standard of living. College graduates with liberal arts degrees are a dime a dozen, and they should expect to be paid accordingly, unless they have some special skills or talents that set them apart. Same for many online degrees.

The world is flat. So are opportunities for people who think the universe owes them a living maerely for existing.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

USA1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by USA1 »

John Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock

(MADE IN JAPAN ) for 6 am.

While his coffeepot

(MADE IN CHINA )

was perking, he shaved with his

electric razor

(MADE IN HONG KONG )

He put on a

dress shirt

(MADE IN SRI LANKA ),

designer jeans

(MADE IN SINGAPORE )

and

tennis shoes

(MADE IN KOREA)

After cooking his breakfast in his new

electric skillet

(MADE IN INDIA )

he sat down with his

calculator

(MADE IN MEXICO )

to see how much he could spend today.. After setting his

watch

(MADE IN TAIWAN )

to the radio

(MADE IN INDIA )

he got in his car

(MADE IN GERMANY )

filled it with GAS

(from Saudi Arabia )

and continued his search

for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging

and fruitless day

checking his

Computer

(made in MALAYSIA ),

John decided to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals

(MADE IN BRAZIL ),

poured himself a glass of

wine

(MADE IN FRANCE )

and turned on his

TV

(MADE IN INDONESIA ),

and then wondered why he can't

find a good paying job

in AMERICA

AND NOW HE'S HOPING HE CAN GET HELP FROM A PRESIDENT

MADE IN KENYA

:leaving
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

I prefer to buy things here in america as well but who can find such a thing in a store. If yall really would like to do something that helps small american business buy from small american craftsmen on etsy and ebay. Need a quilt--you can go to target and buy one made in china or you could go to an online (often in home) business and buy one from an american crafter--need a winter hat--you could buy one at Dicks sporting goods or you could buy one at a craft fair. Many baby items (quilts, hats, gloves, baby crib layettes) can be bought from american crafters. Now I will say you are likely going to pay a little more. The hat that at Dicks will be $9.99 will likely be $15 at a craft fair (sometimes it is less you just have to look). I find a ton of my Christmas presents at craft fairs because you can get such unique and high quality items from Americans.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I drive a vehicle that was entirely made in Japan, so perhaps I'm not one to talk.... but even "made in America" doesn't really count if it really just means "assembled in America." When I was a kid, the Big Three in detroit didn't just assemble the cars on their factory floors; they bought car body parts from other domestic American manufacturers, electronic and engine peripherals from still other manufacturers, wheels, sparkplugs, and upholstery from still other American manufacturers, etc., etc., etc.

My son's Pontiac G8 GT has an LS2/LS3 motor made in the U.S., and a body and chassis made in Australia, and was "hecho in Mexico." Until we get back to the point where domestic manufacturers use domestically manufactured parts and subassemblies, we'll never get back to where we used to be. Global economies are all well and good, but look at what manufacturers from other countries are doing. Are BMWs manufactured in Germany still being delivered with Bosch spark plugs? I can tell you that my made-in-Japan Pathfinder was delivered with Nippon Denso spark plugs.

When it comes time to replace my Pathfinder (hopefully never), I will likely try to buy American first, but I have to say right up front that I'll never buy a GM so long as A) the federal government remains a stock holder, and B) their union continues to get the "screw-the-taxpayer" sweet deal. I refuse to be a party to that kind of corruption. And I won't buy junk, regardless of how patriotic it might be to do so. I can't afford junk.

The Japanese manufacturers got their foot in the door in the U.S. by offering more economical products with superior quality and reliability at that price point. The Big Three had taken the American consumer for granted for far too long, and it pretty much caught up with them. I remember when it became common knowledge that all three practiced an obsolescence cycle of only 6 years. I remember thinking that was highway robbery. You buy the second most expensive purchase of your life, and the builder PLANNED for it to only last 6 years? That's when I quit giving a rip what happened to the Big Three.

Rolls Royce built cars that came with a lifetime warranty. Sure, they cost more, but the fact is that one Rolls Royce back then would cost you less over your lifetime than a whole series of worn out American cars. Now, not everybody then or now can afford the buy-in for a Rolls. But, when an American manufacturer deliberately plans for your car to fall apart within the time frame that you'll still be making payments on it, that is unconscionable. They don't deserve your business if that is their business model, because screwing the customer is just as unAmerican as buying imports.

Now, when it comes time to replace my vehicle, if I can get an American vehicle comparable to my Pathfinder (2002), with 4 wheel drive, adequate power and adequate room, that will still be running reliably at 130K+ miles and 9 years later with low maintenance requirements, I'd be very interested. Maybe by then my Pathfinder might have 260K on the clock. :mrgreen:
You probably would have liked my 1997 Suburban, 4X4. 3 seats, towing package. No major repairs in 160k, except redid the A/C. 19-21 MPG on the highway. I took a trip from OK to WY in 2006, averaged over 20 mpg on the highway.

Only reason I traded it off was I needed something stronger to tow a trailer with. :coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

PBratton wrote:We have a faint shadow of the industry available that we had during WWI & WWII.
You're kidding right?

Wikipedia, but it seems close to what I've read if not right on:

"Below is a list of countries by Industrial output in 2010. Output is in millions of US$.

Rank Country Output

1 United States - 3,239,374
2 China - 2,756,903
3 Japan - 1,359,259
4 Germany - 921,749
5 Brazil - 560,204
6 Russia - 539,149
7 Italy - 519,944
8 United Kingdom - 489,945
9 France - 477,767
10 Canada - 413,975"
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
PBratton
Posts in topic: 4

Post by PBratton »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I drive a vehicle that was entirely made in Japan, so perhaps I'm not one to talk.... but even "made in America" doesn't really count if it really just means "assembled in America." When I was a kid, the Big Three in detroit didn't just assemble the cars on their factory floors; they bought car body parts from other domestic American manufacturers, electronic and engine peripherals from still other manufacturers, wheels, sparkplugs, and upholstery from still other American manufacturers, etc., etc., etc.

My son's Pontiac G8 GT has an LS2/LS3 motor made in the U.S., and a body and chassis made in Australia, and was "hecho in Mexico." Until we get back to the point where domestic manufacturers use domestically manufactured parts and subassemblies, we'll never get back to where we used to be. Global economies are all well and good, but look at what manufacturers from other countries are doing. Are BMWs manufactured in Germany still being delivered with Bosch spark plugs? I can tell you that my made-in-Japan Pathfinder was delivered with Nippon Denso spark plugs.

When it comes time to replace my Pathfinder (hopefully never), I will likely try to buy American first, but I have to say right up front that I'll never buy a GM so long as A) the federal government remains a stock holder, and B) their union continues to get the "screw-the-taxpayer" sweet deal. I refuse to be a party to that kind of corruption. And I won't buy junk, regardless of how patriotic it might be to do so. I can't afford junk.

The Japanese manufacturers got their foot in the door in the U.S. by offering more economical products with superior quality and reliability at that price point. The Big Three had taken the American consumer for granted for far too long, and it pretty much caught up with them. I remember when it became common knowledge that all three practiced an obsolescence cycle of only 6 years. I remember thinking that was highway robbery. You buy the second most expensive purchase of your life, and the builder PLANNED for it to only last 6 years? That's when I quit giving a rip what happened to the Big Three.

Rolls Royce built cars that came with a lifetime warranty. Sure, they cost more, but the fact is that one Rolls Royce back then would cost you less over your lifetime than a whole series of worn out American cars. Now, not everybody then or now can afford the buy-in for a Rolls. But, when an American manufacturer deliberately plans for your car to fall apart within the time frame that you'll still be making payments on it, that is unconscionable. They don't deserve your business if that is their business model, because screwing the customer is just as unAmerican as buying imports.

Now, when it comes time to replace my vehicle, if I can get an American vehicle comparable to my Pathfinder (2002), with 4 wheel drive, adequate power and adequate room, that will still be running reliably at 130K+ miles and 9 years later with low maintenance requirements, I'd be very interested. Maybe by then my Pathfinder might have 260K on the clock. :mrgreen:
TAM, your 2002 Pathfinder was manufactured in Smyra, Tennesee. The engine and transmission were likely made in Decherd, Tn as well. Now, I'm not saying that EVERYTHING in your Pathfinder in US made, but the chassis, panels drive-train and assembly were.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

gigag04 wrote:
PBratton wrote:We have a faint shadow of the industry available that we had during WWI & WWII.
You're kidding right?

Wikipedia, but it seems close to what I've read if not right on:

"Below is a list of countries by Industrial output in 2010. Output is in millions of US$.

Rank Country Output

1 United States - 3,239,374
2 China - 2,756,903
3 Japan - 1,359,259
4 Germany - 921,749
5 Brazil - 560,204
6 Russia - 539,149
7 Italy - 519,944
8 United Kingdom - 489,945
9 France - 477,767
10 Canada - 413,975"
Thanks for posting that. It's amazing how few people realize that we are still #1. We just don't make the inexpenive consumer goods, we make higher-end stuff mostly.

the bad news is China will reach parity with the US this month
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Too many variables involved for an honest Yes or No answer.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

If there is a choice, I always buy Made/Assembled in America. Even assembled with foreign components, puts Americans to work. I have found that on some items there my be a cost difference. However, most times there is not.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Now, when it comes time to replace my vehicle, if I can get an American vehicle comparable to my Pathfinder (2002), with 4 wheel drive, adequate power and adequate room, that will still be running reliably at 130K+ miles and 9 years later with low maintenance requirements, I'd be very interested. Maybe by then my Pathfinder might have 260K on the clock. :mrgreen:
In 1999 I sold my 1988 Chevy Spectrum (with Izuzu engine and internals) with ~120K miles on it. The A/C no longer worked, and the body panels were rusting from 4 winters in Indiana and one year in Florida. The engine still worked fine, but I wasn't about to drive a car to Houston that didn't have A/C anymore. The only major maintenance I had done was replacing the timing belt and clutch.

My 2002 Honda Civic has 124K miles on it right now and still runs great. Needs a new timing belt and a few little things, but otherwise, it is rock solid. Oh! I found the window sticker in the glove box: 70% US/Canadian parts content, 20% Japan parts content, assembled in Ohio, engine from USA, transmission from Japan.

Between those cars, I had two Dodge Durango pickups, a 1997 and a 2000, neither of which held up worth a flip. The only reason we have a Dodge right now is that my wife inherited a 2003 Caravan from her grandparents. It has more electrical problems than I care to catalogue, but at least it is paid for.

As Purplehood said, there are too many variables for a 'yes' or 'no' answer to buying strictly "Made in USA", but I'd like to support American businesses first. I just think my Mac (designed in California and assembled in China) is a much better machine than the Dell made in Round Rock (or don't they make them there anymore?).
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

Problem is... Too many of our daily purchases just AREN'T "Made in America" due to the cost to do business here ...
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

Bart wrote: Add in the fact that semi-skilled workers with high school diplomas thought they were entitled to a suburban house plus a vacation house, a boat and/or other toys, just because they had a union card. You can forgive college graduates who couldn't afford a boat or second home for buying higher quality foreign cars at a lower price and not feeling an ounce of guilt. The UAW and Big Three chose to price themselves out of the market, with predictable results.

The realities of the global economy have finally hit America. A semi-literate man with no job skills is competing against third world workers with similar education and skills, so maybe they should expect to have a similar standard of living. College graduates with liberal arts degrees are a dime a dozen, and they should expect to be paid accordingly, unless they have some special skills or talents that set them apart. Same for many online degrees.

The world is flat. So are opportunities for people who think the universe owes them a living maerely for existing.
You have NAILED it... It's the perversion of the American dream... Only after generations of being indoctrinated into believing they are DESERVING and OWED without putting in the work to obtain the level of success to afford them the luxuries of a hard lived, hard worked life have we come to this...

As a former Chief Shop Steward I made many people unhappy when it was time to renegotiate the contract. I NEVER said it in the negotiations and fought hard for better job PERKS. BUT, when alone with my union partners I was the voice of reason explaining to my fellow brothers that a job has a pay limit and if they expected more money then go back to school and get more education or certifications to be qualified for a better job with more pay and responsibilities!! There IS a point where you price yourself out of the market and out of a job.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

I would not classify the American dream as a "you deserve to have XYZ because you are an american" but as a hope that if you work hard, smart, you have the chance at a decent life, if you are very smart and very lucky the chance at riches even. That is not something that exists in much of the world for a multitude of reasons. Now with the multitude of gov't regulations and intrusions into our life that hope is becoming dimmer and dimmer, but even now it is still much stronger than in many places of the world. As for all my fellow bachelor degree students--get specialized skills in several areas if you are going to be dependent on others for your vocation because a BA or a Bachelor of Science (the filter won't let me put the acronym hahahah did not think what else that could stand for :lol: ) is not worth what you paid for it these days.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

koolaid
Posts in topic: 7

Post by koolaid »

Medic624 wrote:
You have NAILED it... It's the perversion of the American dream... Only after generations of being indoctrinated into believing they are DESERVING and OWED without putting in the work to obtain the level of success to afford them the luxuries of a hard lived, hard worked life have we come to this...
While that sounds nice it is a rather simplistic worldview that ignores many facts.

Conditions in China that make it popular with manufacturers are quite similar to conditions in the US and other countries during their industrial revolutions.

For all the complaining about unions and environmental regulations, I don't see a lot of people chomping at the bit to send their children off to work in dangerous mines and factories every morning, or putting down their bottled water or showers in order to drink and bathe in untreated industrial runoff.

And on the other side of the coin, for all the complaining about wealth distribution and corporate greed, we have come a long way from the era of the robber baron and Pinkerton goon squads bashing in the heads of workers who don't toe the company line, forced migration to company towns and the indentured servitude of the company store.

Our economy and society has moved on from that, and it has for the most part been beneficial. China today is the Japan of the 70's and 80's. There are already other nations further behind on the industrial path that are starting to become the low cost alternative to China, while China and India begin to creep into the information age. It is the natural progression of things.

So sure, buy American when you can, but stop romanticizing the 19th century. We aren't going back to it.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

koolaid wrote:

For all the complaining about unions and environmental regulations, I don't see a lot of people chomping at the bit to send their children off to work in dangerous mines and factories every morning, or putting down their bottled water or showers in order to drink and bathe in untreated industrial runoff.

And on the other side of the coin, for all the complaining about wealth distribution and corporate greed, we have come a long way from the era of the robber baron and Pinkerton goon squads bashing in the heads of workers who don't toe the company line, forced migration to company towns and the indentured servitude of the company store.

Our economy and society has moved on from that, and it has for the most part been beneficial. China today is the Japan of the 70's and 80's. There are already other nations further behind on the industrial path that are starting to become the low cost alternative to China, while China and India begin to creep into the information age. It is the natural progression of things.

So sure, buy American when you can, but stop romanticizing the 19th century. We aren't going back to it.
You know everyone thinks that is what the gov't regulations do and perhaps 50/75 years ago it was, but today the regulations that congress puts out are influenced by so many lobbies that what comes out is not what was intended.

Example: 5 years ago there was a problem with toys coming in from China with lead--BIG problem. Who was doing the importing of those toy--large companies who had their products made with very questionable plastics made in the cheapest manner possible. Scary stuff right--Congress passed a law that required testing of children's toys--sounds good right--until you think about the millions of stay at home moms and dad's that made cloth toys/wooden toys as their small business whose toys never ever contained lead anyway. Mattel, Playschool, and the large coorporations had lobbies that could afford to have the law drawn up to cause them the least problems possible, while thousands of home businesses were put out because the regulations were contradictory hard to understand and seemed to place burdens on them to have each batch of their raw material (yarn, cloth, wood) undergo expensive testing. Some took the chance and waded through the waters, but many many simply looked at the regulations and the possible fines and decided that it was not worth the risk. You could argue that is free markets--but it was not--many had superior products at amazing prices but did not have enough capital to hire lawyers to wade through the mire. Instead of only dealing with the problem at hand--shoddy work in china being sold to children--what passed was sweeping legislation that was onerous and destructive to American business and squashed out competition between small businesses. How do I know all this--I was a small (fledgling) sling maker, and I after looking at the risk to my family of this legislation and the cost of legal fees to continue business said no thanks. Now I only make slings for very close friends and often with the fabric they buy and bring to me. Not someone else making a better sling, but a gov't regulation that was not meant to address my business but did anyway because of how the law was worded put me out of business.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”