Who is this guy running for LT. Gov?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Who is this guy running for LT. Gov?

Post by Tic Tac »

RogueUSMC wrote:[ Image ]
Does that mean he wants to be the father of OC too?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Tic Tac wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:[ Image ]
Does that mean he wants to be the father of OC too?
I would be shocked to see Jerry put forth the effort to pass open-carry that he did for concealed-carry. As a Senator, he pretty much made SB60 his only quest but he wouldn't be able to do that as Lt. Governor.

Chas.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

http://votepatterson.com/issues/2nd-amendment/
As your next Lieutenant Governor, my policy will be…

1. Oppose any law that unconstitutionally restricts our right to keep and bear arms.

2. Repeal useless gun laws. While many politicians say, “Let’s enforce the laws that are on the books”, I suggest that we repeal some of the ridiculous laws that are unenforceable, unconstitutional, and/or do not make us safer. For example, let’s repeal - from both federal and state laws – gun free zones that create target rich environments - de facto “human hunting preserves” – that are sought out by criminals who know that persons in those zones are defenseless.

3. Support school marshal legislation that provides that every school shall have a trained and competent armed person present during school hours. This person, who will have been properly trained on when and how to use a firearm, could be a police officer, security guard, coach, principal, or teacher with quick access to a firearm.

4. Support Campus Carry.

5. Support Open Carry.

6. Oppose the regulation of firearms by local jurisdictions such as counties, cities, school districts and/or other government agencies and entities.

7. Oppose background checks for the sale and/or transfer of firearms between private individuals.

8. Oppose registration of firearms by local, state, and/or federal governments.

9. Oppose any education curriculum that suggests that the 2nd Amendment is somehow related to service in the National Guard or has anything to do with hunting and/or target shooting.

10. Oppose special privileges for members of Congress and/or the Texas legislature that allow them to carry a firearm in locations where the average citizen is prohibited from carrying – such as proposed in HB 508 (as amended) from the 83rd session and SB 905 from the 82nd session. Elected officials should have no special privileges as a matter of law.

11. Continue to support and to defend from legislative attack the Texas concealed handgun law that I authored 2 decades ago.

12. Continue to be an unwavering advocate and spokesman for the Second Amendment and the entire Bill of Rights.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

Pawpaw wrote:http://votepatterson.com/issues/2nd-amendment/

1. Oppose any law that unconstitutionally restricts our right to keep and bear arms.

2. Repeal useless gun laws. While many politicians say, “Let’s enforce the laws that are on the books”, I suggest that we repeal some of the ridiculous laws that are unenforceable, unconstitutional, and/or do not make us safer. For example, let’s repeal - from both federal and state laws – gun free zones that create target rich environments - de facto “human hunting preserves” – that are sought out by criminals who know that persons in those zones are defenseless.

3. Support school marshal legislation that provides that every school shall have a trained and competent armed person present during school hours. This person, who will have been properly trained on when and how to use a firearm, could be a police officer, security guard, coach, principal, or teacher with quick access to a firearm.

4. Support Campus Carry.

5. Support Open Carry.

6. Oppose the regulation of firearms by local jurisdictions such as counties, cities, school districts and/or other government agencies and entities.

7. Oppose background checks for the sale and/or transfer of firearms between private individuals.

9. Oppose any education curriculum that suggests that the 2nd Amendment is somehow related to service in the National Guard or has anything to do with hunting and/or target shooting.

10. Oppose special privileges for members of Congress and/or the Texas legislature that allow them to carry a firearm in locations where the average citizen is prohibited from carrying – such as proposed in HB 508 (as amended) from the 83rd session and SB 905 from the 82nd session. Elected officials should have no special privileges as a matter of law.

11. Continue to support and to defend from legislative attack the Texas concealed handgun law that I authored 2 decades ago.

12. Continue to be an unwavering advocate and spokesman for the Second Amendment and the entire Bill of Rights.
Sounds purty good to me.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Pawpaw wrote:http://votepatterson.com/issues/2nd-amendment/

4. Support Campus Carry.

5. Support Open Carry.

:hurry: Outstanding!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

I agree with all of the accolades and comments already mentioned as to his accomplishments and goals.

I would also like to add a personal observation.

Commissioner Patterson would not know me from Adam, but I have had occasion to meet him several times. Once in San Marcos at a 'gun event' many years ago, and a few times at the Capitol during hearings for various gun bills where I went to either observe or sometimes speak as a private citizen for legislation. At all times, he was very courteous and accessible to citizens in attendance, including myself. It was also obvious at those hearings that he commands a high degree of respect among the legislators on the committees and in the gallery.
What you see in the interviews is exactly what you get in person. No pretense, no no assumed self importance and straight talk seem to be his hallmarks. Simply a good man trying to do a good job as a public servant.

He is a most refreshing change in contrast to others I have met in that building.

I'll vote for him any day for any office for which he runs.

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

Commissioner Patterson has my vote.

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

mescobar_rpls wrote:Commissioner Patterson has my vote.
Based on what I've seen he has mine also.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

GunTotinGirl

Facts about Jerry Patterson You Should Know

Post by GunTotinGirl »

Look these up for yourself! These facts were easy to find, so please check this out before casting a vote for Jerry Patterson for TX Lt. Governor:

Patterson helped pass a law that prohibited campus carry. In 1995, Patterson supported Senate Bill 840 (74-R), which prohibited individuals from carrying firearms onto college and university campuses. Opponents of the bill said: “The weapons-free zones set up in SB 840 would cast too wide a net and unnecessarily restrict the places where law abiding persons can take a firearm” (House Research Organization, SB 840 Analysis).

Despite the concerns, Patterson joined 28 other Senators in supporting this bill on 3rd reading in the Senate. (74th Legislature, Senate Journal, p. 1717). See the journal page with the votes here: http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/ ... 07/?q=74th" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patterson says he is a 100% champion of gun rights, but HE VOTED to restrict those rights by voting to prohibit campus carry in 1995. NOW that he is running for Lt. Governor, he says he supports campus carry.

Rule-violating discussion of prohibited topics deleted. Read the rules before posting again.

I cannot vote for a flip-flopper on campus carry - which should have always been a right! Rule-violating discussion of prohibited topics deleted. Read the rules before posting again.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Gee. You dug pretty deep to come up with nothing, didn't you?

Reading over the enrolled version of Senate Bill 840 (74-R), which can be found here, I don't see anything related specifically to campus carry. What that bill did was to add PC §46.11. PENALTY IF OFFENSE COMMITTED WITHIN WEAPON-FREE SCHOOL ZONE.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Facts about Jerry Patterson You Should Know

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

GunTotinGirl wrote:Look these up for yourself! These facts were easy to find, so please check this out before casting a vote for Jerry Patterson for TX Lt. Governor:
You are right, the facts are easy to find, so why did you post a false statement about SB840?
GunTotinGirl wrote:Patterson helped pass a law that prohibited campus carry. In 1995, Patterson supported Senate Bill 840 (74-R), which prohibited individuals from carrying firearms onto college and university campuses.
False! As Pawpaw noted, SB840 did not create an offense for carrying a handgun on college and university campuses. That was already unlawful. HB840 increased the penalty if a weapons violation occurred within the statutorily-defined gun free school zone.
GunTotinGirl wrote:Despite the concerns, Patterson joined 28 other Senators in supporting this bill on 3rd reading in the Senate. (74th Legislature, Senate Journal, p. 1717). See the journal page with the votes here: http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/ ... 07/?q=74th" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First, then-Senator Patterson was not an author, co-author, or sponsor of SB840. He voted for SB840, but since you claim to have researched the facts, tell us why he voted for it. Was it necessary to get the votes to pass SB60 (concealed carry)? I was there, were you?
GunTotinGirl wrote:Patterson says he is a 100% champion of gun rights, but HE VOTED to restrict those rights by voting to prohibit campus carry in 1995.
False again! See above.
GunTotinGirl wrote:NOW that he is running for Lt. Governor, he says he supports campus carry. Rule-violating discussion of prohibited topics deleted. Read the rules before posting again.
He has publicly supported campus-carry every year it has been introduced.
GunTotinGirl wrote:I cannot vote for a flip-flopper on campus carry - which should have always been a right! Rule-violating discussion of prohibited topics deleted. Read the rules before posting again.
As shown above, Jerry Patterson has never "flip=flopped" on campus-carry, contrary to your false allegation.

It's interesting that you joined the Forum today and have made only this one post asserting blatantly false allegations. It has the appearance of someone working on a candidate's campaign . . . :headscratch

Chas.

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

OK Charles my wife and I will vote for him. :txflag:
Skip Bishop

Mel

Post by Mel »

I also notice that this is the one and only post of "Guntotingirl".
Could this be a troll?
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

More likely a political staffer.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

psijac

Post by psijac »

Ron Paul Endorses Patterson for LT Gov. ;-)

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... rnor.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”